User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Do you have fun efficiently?

I think about that a lot. I started riding (after 30-year hiatus that is) five years ago, and it still kills me if a day goes by without getting on the motorcycle. It's fun and I want to do it as much as possible, however it's not always possible. So it's important to make the most of opportunities to ride.

There's an art and a science to this. Here are some thoughts I've come up with to improve the quality of a rider's life.

Let's start with commuting. There are many beautiful areas of the world and I happen to live in one of them.

People come from around the world just to experience the geographical and cultural wonderland that is Northern California. They set aside TIME for this. How is it possible to consider traveling around this paradise an unpleasant chore? Yet many of us here do that when we commute to work and back. Why not take some extra time at least once a week, get up earlier, and hit the back roads? See some of the beauty that surrounds you. Think of it as a tiny little vacation. It just takes a little change of mindset and schedule.

Another thing you can do is combine vacation activities that complement each other. For example I'm planning to start a moto tour of Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks this summer with my first Iron Butt ride. I really look forward to saying to myself, "Oh look, it's the second day of my vacation and I'm in Montana with a motorcycle. And oh look, I also qualified for an Iron Butt certificate!" With this kind of efficiency I'll extend the reach of that trip and also do some other fun thing with the time I saved by not doing a separate Iron Butt ride.

And then there's "Honey, what's on the errands list that can be done by motorcycle?" Here it is Sunday, and on Sundays I like to get out and ride. But partly because of this, weekend chores have been backing up. But you don't have to take off for the day and do a big loop that at the end of the day puts you right back where you started with only a grin on your face to show for it. You can often get pretty close to that same grin by going someplace that you actually need to go.

Do you have examples of maximizing your moto fun?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
My friends and I will often do some "alley sweeping". Basically just ride the alleyways around town. It is a fun way to spend some time on the bike without going far. Sometimes there are challenges like the alley isn't paved, a curb you weren't expecting, or a car blocking your way.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbagwell View Post
My friends and I will often do some "alley sweeping". Basically just ride the alleyways around town. It is a fun way to spend some time on the bike without going far. Sometimes there are challenges like the alley isn't paved, a curb you weren't expecting, or a car blocking your way.

How are you not all replacing punctured tires constantly? The alleys here are minefields of nails, screw, metal scraps, wire bits, etc. I won't even drive the cars through them if I can help it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 705
I commute from Solana Beach CA to La Jolla CA every day. The slab is faster, but I almost always opt for taking the coast route and checking surf conditions the whole way down, working on lean angles on fun curves, lane splitting, etc.

I've explained this to non-rider friends: I have a "thing" I love that I don't have to budget any extra time for. It fits in easily doing what I would have to do anyway, i.e., getting to work.

It's like a gift.

I get to do something friggen awesome, but I don't have to set time aside for it.

When I go surf, it's at least a 2-4 hour proposition, out the door. I love it, but it's a time investment for sure.

Using motorcycles for everything is awesome, and fun. Especially commuting.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I try to wear out the sides of my rear tires, before they centers .
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
There is nothing more fun than taking one of my dual sport bikes to the mountains and scrub the edges of my tires on some super twisty roads, explore some unpaved forest service roads, cross some creeks, play in the mud, etc. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that all that often. So, I found a way to have a blast just riding to work, Wal mart, or to the local hiking trails.....all while getting 75 MPG. I used to find riding around town boring. Then I got a 150cc Kymco Super 8. Now I can do all my commuting while twisting the throttle wide open and generally riding like a hooligan, without much risk to my license. My Super 8 is more fun to ride around town that ANY bike I have ridden and is much more practical than most of the bikes out there. It will never replace my dual sport bikes but I do ride it much more often.

Don't believe me? Here is a review John Burn's wrote in Cycle world on the Super 8 :http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/11/15...50-first-ride/

Oh yeah, I paid $2200 OTD for a new one just over 2 years ago.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
To the OP,

Please, please, please appreciate where you live! Take every opportunity to do what you love to do. You need to realize how lucky you truly are. I don't know what job you have, or anything else about you. What I know for certain is that you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country...for riding, hiking, etc, etc.

I'm one that sets aside the time to travel to where you exist. In fact, I SHALL be out there sometime this July! Everyone's guilty of it, but I think it sounds like you're just getting too used to your surroundings. It diminishes the feelings of respect and appreciation for the beautiful scenery, wonderful roads, and various other positive outcomes of living where you do.

Want to switch? Come live in Fargo, ND for a while! I'll take your place for as long as you deem necessary until you reacquire your admiration for northern CA. Cough..cough...a little fair warning though...there's currently a fucking blizzard outside my window, and spring is in, what, three days? Bike has been parked since late October! I'm freaking out!!!

So yeah, please, please, please don't take for granted where you live!
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
To the OP,

Please, please, please appreciate where you live! Take every opportunity to do what you love to do. You need to realize how lucky you truly are. I don't know what job you have, or anything else about you. What I know for certain is that you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country...for riding, hiking, etc, etc.

I'm one that sets aside the time to travel to where you exist. In fact, I SHALL be out there sometime this July! Everyone's guilty of it, but I think it sounds like you're just getting too used to your surroundings. It diminishes the feelings of respect and appreciation for the beautiful scenery, wonderful roads, and various other positive outcomes of living where you do.

Want to switch? Come live in Fargo, ND for a while! I'll take your place for as long as you deem necessary until you reacquire your admiration for northern CA. Cough..cough...a little fair warning though...there's currently a fucking blizzard outside my window, and spring is in, what, three days? Bike has been parked since late October! I'm freaking out!!!

So yeah, please, please, please don't take for granted where you live!
Is it just me, or did you completely read the OP's post wrong?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Klav is right, buy a scooter. You can get a solid used 125 or 150 for a grand. It'll pay for itself in gas in two years, and you change all those little trips to the store into transportainment.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Sorry tldr

But you know me Opie, I'm so happy I'm gay when ride'in; anytime, anywhere on any bike!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 144
Do burnouts in the garage on a cold winters day so I can do a tire change count? How bout if I do it wearing a kilt on my KLR while pretty shamrocks come out of my arse?
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
How are you not all replacing punctured tires constantly? The alleys here are minefields of nails, screw, metal scraps, wire bits, etc. I won't even drive the cars through them if I can help it.
Depends on the alley I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
Please, please, please appreciate where you live!
Trust me, I do! Read my posting again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
But you know me Opie, I'm so happy I'm gay when ride'in; anytime, anywhere on any bike!
You're an inspiration to us all, Andy. And nice pic!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Annual Alley Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It happens.

Flats happen but the FUN factor far exceeds the risk. Alley Sweepers/Urban Enduro are the most fun to be had on a motorcycle without leaving town.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Car way from work

Motorcycle way from work
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Car to work