Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
That is awesome, you're lucky to have that ride, but you probably run into the same issue I do in the summer months: tourists. Speaking of which, I'll be heading down there in April, renting an sv650 for a couple days.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
That is awesome, you're lucky to have that ride, but you probably run into the same issue I do in the summer months: tourists. Speaking of which, I'll be heading down there in April, renting an sv650 for a couple days.

The first 50miles of my trip takes about an hour the next 11miles... 30 minutes unless I am on the bike.

edit: Greg is a great guy!
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
There is nothing more fun than taking one of my dual sport bikes to the mountains and scrub the edges of my tires on some super twisty roads, explore some unpaved forest service roads, cross some creeks, play in the mud, etc. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that all that often. So, I found a way to have a blast just riding to work, Wal mart, or to the local hiking trails.....all while getting 75 MPG. I used to find riding around town boring. Then I got a 150cc Kymco Super 8. Now I can do all my commuting while twisting the throttle wide open and generally riding like a hooligan, without much risk to my license. My Super 8 is more fun to ride around town that ANY bike I have ridden and is much more practical than most of the bikes out there. It will never replace my dual sport bikes but I do ride it much more often.

Don't believe me? Here is a review John Burn's wrote in Cycle world on the Super 8 :http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/11/15...50-first-ride/

Oh yeah, I paid $2200 OTD for a new one just over 2 years ago.

Man, you are right. I transitioned from a scooter to a Vstrom and while I love the strom, it's just not the same around town. The scoot was a blast, and yeah, you could go WOT here and there and be totally fine. So much fun. Plus the lockable storage under the seat made errands a snap.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Klav is right, buy a scooter. You can get a solid used 125 or 150 for a grand. It'll pay for itself in gas in two years, and you change all those little trips to the store into transportainment.
I like that word. Did you make it up yourself?

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
The hard part is explaining to my wife that I need a dirt bike for the winter months, in addition to the minibikes, and multiple street bikes.

But I absolutely appreciate living in Central CA. Ride all year round and it rains about 3 times a year.

corndog67 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 05:53 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Early spring through late fall I commute, run errands, and do most other things on the bike vs the car, Jeep, or truck. It combines sensible fuel economy, fun, and depreciates a $5500 vehicle rather than the much more expensive car and truck.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Is it just me, or did you completely read the OP's post wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post

Trust me, I do! Read my posting again?

My apologies! I think it was the blizzard that pissed me off, then the subsequent drinking that distorted my reading skills...

Glad to know you're happy out there though! In terms of efficiency for me, I typically ride to and from work on a given day in summer but try to leave early and get in some gravel/farm roads along the way. There's something I enjoy about stopping out in the country and just taking in the quietness.

In terms of traveling long-term, I'm going to try and put to use the advantages of boondocking on my trip this summer. Efficient in that the more money I have the longer I will ride, and the more places I will experience.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
For me less is more. I have a number of loops laid out around Northern VT, typically 100-200 miles, mostly dirt, very scenic and entertaining riding and I'll do each a maximum of twice per year. Keeps it fresh and interesting.

Tours? I'll take two days of high quality riding, a great place to stay, and an entertaining pub over a two week slog to no where anytime.

My head is in the wrong place for commuting and riding besides it makes the Grand Poobah uptight. An Iron Butt strikes me as low density entertainment, but to each his own, I'd rather take a hooker to a hockey game.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
To the OP,

Please, please, please appreciate where you live! Take every opportunity to do what you love to do. You need to realize how lucky you truly are. I don't know what job you have, or anything else about you. What I know for certain is that you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country...for riding, hiking, etc, etc.

I'm one that sets aside the time to travel to where you exist. In fact, I SHALL be out there sometime this July! Everyone's guilty of it, but I think it sounds like you're just getting too used to your surroundings. It diminishes the feelings of respect and appreciation for the beautiful scenery, wonderful roads, and various other positive outcomes of living where you do.

Want to switch? Come live in Fargo, ND for a while! I'll take your place for as long as you deem necessary until you reacquire your admiration for northern CA. Cough..cough...a little fair warning though...there's currently a fucking blizzard outside my window, and spring is in, what, three days? Bike has been parked since late October! I'm freaking out!!!

So yeah, please, please, please don't take for granted where you live!
Agreed. Two summers ago when I was on vacation I was riding through the mountains, and wondered if the people who live there appreciate the fact that they live there. I live in the flat boring part of Indiana.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
stoke
ocean minded

I had fun efficiently today

photo MotorcyclePizza_zps3a9c4a19.jpg

I had some "transportainment"! Picked up two large and one medium pizza/s (you can't see the medium under the givi lid) and went from pacific beach to solana beach in heavy traffic. The looks I got lanesplitting were pretty funny.

Using motorcycles as everyday transportation is awesome.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #26
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
How are you not all replacing punctured tires constantly? The alleys here are minefields of nails, screw, metal scraps, wire bits, etc. I won't even drive the cars through them if I can help it.

Here in Salem the alleys are pretty clean as far as not a lot of debris. My buddy did get a flat last year on the Portland alley sweeper. A piece of chain link fence was the culprit!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Efficient fun (to me) is avoiding pavement as much as possible. Fortunately, I have hundreds of miles of Utah mountains to explore at my immediate disposal, just minutes from home! Camping off my bike has become one of my favorite things to do.

Not sure what part of my adventuring quaifies as "efficient", but it sure is fun!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
"Alley Sweeping" outstanding terminology. Did it all my life and never had a good name for it. Thanx.

We get enough traffic in our alleys that flats are not a problem. Natchurlly, I see a roofing truck in an alley and I get real carefull to stay in the clearn areas.

RiderWearHouse has been endorsing efficient fun for the last 30 years. Efficient multi-tasking begins when a rider wishes to enjoy the commute & errands and starts using the bike instead of the cage.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
stoke
ocean minded

that catalog

is pretty much what got me into using my bike as a car replacement. it just made so much sense, especially in crowdifornia.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #30
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I like that word. Did you make it up yourself?
I saw it here in the scooter forum. You're welcome to use it.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote