Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
ALthe3rd OP
Kind of Gassy

Oddometer: 18
The Anti-Plan Day Trip

Howdy All.

This is my first post and as you may have guessed my first trip report. I'm relatively new to the whole adventure motorcycle thing but not new to "adventuring" in general. Jeeps, off road buggies and even kayaks. My idea of a good time is pouring over maps to figure out how to get to a place that interests me and then actually going. Sometimes its fun to just go and see where I'll end up... like this trip report.

Here you go:

It’s funny sometimes but when we go and do as the spirit directs, as it were, good things usually happen.

Saturday (Aug. 24) started off none too early. My eyes didn’t bother opening until almost 7:00 and I wasn’t sure what to do next. Shower? Yeah, that would be a good idea. My wife was busily turning spinach, kail and cucumbers into juice so I knew breakfast was in my future but beyond that there was no plan. Kind of nice for a change.

Oh wait, I could install the new Wolfman tank bag on the KLR. After all, I did just spend $145 bucks on the thing so I should put it on. Still in some sort of mental fogginess and general laziness I fumbled for a couple of hours doing a job that should have taken 15 minutes. When the task was finally done and the tank bag installed the thought came that “this thing needs to be tested”. But where? Around the block? No, that wouldn’t suffice a road trip plan was beginning to come together.

My dear wife asked me where I was planning on going. What her concern was Im not sure but I figure she wanted to know where she could find my remains if it came to that and it would truly save her some time if she had an idea of where to look but the problem was I didn’t know.

With the pre-flight check complete I mount up and head to the gas station. Topping off the take almost took 5 gallons, I wasn’t on reserve yet and I didn’t feel bad spending the extra dough on premium either. They say that the KLR does not need premium fuel but if nothing else it makes feel better knowing my beloved bike is getting the best. OK, now the tank if full so it was time to make the decision of where to go.

Superior Arizona would be a fun little jaunt. I have been there more than a few times so why not? Up and back will only take me a little over an hour and there is lots of dirt trails I could try. Not too long ago I found a really neat place to call coyotes. I could do a little scouting for coyote ambush locations. A plan was coming together.

After tearing up some nice graded roads... as much as an old man on a large motorcycle can tear up graded roads, it felt like it wasn’t enough. ”Might as well head to Globe and stop by the Burger House” to see if they still can make a green chili mixed burro that will slap your taste buds in the gut and make’em cry.

Im still not super comfortable with curves and the road from Superior to Globe is curvey to put it mildly. Some hardened motorcyclers will scoff and tell you Im a big whoos that the there ain’t nothing to worry about on that stretch of pavement. Maybe so but when you look in your rear view and see a line of six or so cars stacked up behind you and then you glance at your speedometer to verify your doing 10 over the speed limit, a guy tends to get nervous. At least I did. I pulled over to a narrow strip of highway to let the cars pass and almost fall over when my boot slipped on the gravel.

The Burger House did not disappoint and now it was time to either continue the adventure or go home. I was feeling good about life and going home was not on the menu right then.

About 30 miles North West of Globe is Roosevelt Lake. All around Roosevelt are some spectacular cliff dwellings. Cliff dwellings have always interested me so I figure it was time to go up to that area and reconnoiter a particular dwelling I wanted to visit for years.

Being the type of person that is easily distracted a side-road grabs my attention. Maybe you suffer from the same disease, “Hmm, wonder where this road goes”. The next thing I know I’m sitting under the highway in the shelter of a bridge. As brides go this one was nice. It appeared to have a good water supply, a tree and even a heard of cows that I could plunder. They don’t hang people anymore for cattle rustling do they? The thought came to me that if I ever have to live under a bridge, this is the one I want to live under. As much as I enjoyed riding the up the wash that went under the bridge it was time to head out.

Sheese! Concentrate man! ”You wanted to check out the road that goes by all of the indian ruins not hang out under bridges like some medieval troll.”

The pavement from the bridge to the turn off to Forest Road 203 was fun and fast. My confidence level was enlarging as it became obvious the Continental TKC 80 knobby rear tire seemed to do just fine in the curves. For me the real fun is in the dirt and for the next 25 miles I was having fun. Well, washboard dirt roads can take some of the joy out of things but for the most part I was loving it. FR203 and I were acquainted from years ago but this was the first time we met when I was on 2 wheels.

The scenery was/is spectacular. The temps were running a little South of 100 degrees, no one was out there, this is my element. Times and activities like this make feel alive and even close to Deity.

Traveling about 25 miles in I realize that I have managed to miss a great opportunity. If only I would have extracted my butt from the Tempur-Pedic a lot earlier I could have made it to the cliff dwelling and been back home by 4:00 pm. As it was, it was 2:30 and I still had a long way to go just to get to where I could park and then hike in. What is a guy to do? I know, stop and rest under a cotton wood tree and then go back to the highway the way I came in from. This was a opportunity lost but how bad should I feel when I get to ride in the wilderness under such great circumstances?

Not being smart enough to carry a map and forgetting my GPS I figure that if I head North along Roosevelt lake I will come to highway 89 and maybe that is true but the chance to find out never presented it’s self. Smoking down the road, just before the the Coolidge dam I noticed a sign that said: “Apache Junction”. Sweet! I remember this road, it goes from the dam past two lakes (Apache and Canyon). This could be fun… and it was. It was fun until I noticed some of the traffic was plane old passenger cars.

Hells-Bells, I passed a freaking Prius on the wash boarded road. The idea of me being the ardent adventurer, going where only the tough and skilled dare, kind of fell flat at that point. All in all it was a great route and again the scenery was amazing.

Freaking Prius video. (I'm sorry, but I really dislike Prius’s no matter where I find them) I'll figure out how to embed a vid later.

The trip home was uneventful. I really enjoyed the curves from Canyon Lake but I was getting tired. That happens to old guys who just covered about 250 miles in near 100 degree heat that didn’t pack enough water.

What a great ride. No real plan but lots of great roads, life is swell.

Oh, how did the Wolfman Tank bag do? Made my riding life much better, I recommend them.

If you made it this far thanks for reading. Being new to writing trip reports Im alwasy open for suggestions... so feel free.

-Avery
ALthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Nice ride and report. Life is good when you can putter around and still fit in a 200 plus mile ride.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
ALthe3rd OP
Kind of Gassy

Thanks for reading my trip report PSMCD.

Your right, life is good and I needed this little quick trip to remind me of that very fact.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Nice. As a G650GS and Prius owner I appreciate your point of view. However, some days you've got to take what ever pony is in the stable, be it a Palimino or a mule.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
AZ Desert Dog
AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer: 61
Great ride report. I have the same side trail malady. Superior and Globe are a nice run. We should ride sometime. Have you been over 4 Peak on your scoot. There is a nice loop over to Roosevelt Dam and Tortilla Flats.
AZ Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,265
Yeah, I got suckered into that nice dirt road on the east side of Roosevelt.
Two of us on fully loaded GS's ended up crossing the creek above the lake. In February.
I'll try to dig up the pic.
Fun read, by the way. Welcome to the asylum.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
crowe2815
kenoath

Oddometer: 246
Easy to read report with great snapshots, i look forward to seeing more of your ramblings.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
this is a great little ride report was a wonderful images and I appreciate that you shared with us and look forward to your next installment.
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
ALthe3rd OP
Kind of Gassy

Quote:
AZ Desert Dog
Great ride report. I have the same side trail malady. Superior and Globe are a nice run. We should ride sometime. Have you been over 4 Peak on your scoot. There is a nice loop over to Roosevelt Dam and Tortilla Flats.
Hi AZ Desert Dog,
No I haven't been over 4 Peaks yet, its on my list for sure. We should definitely ride sometime.

Quote:
DADODIRT
"Yeah, I got suckered into that nice dirt road on the east side of Roosevelt.
Two of us on fully loaded GS's ended up crossing the creek above the lake. In February.
I'll try to dig up the pic. Fun read, by the way. Welcome to the asylum."
DADODIRT, I would love to see your photos. Riding a fully loaded bike on that road would cause me severe pucker factor. I'm not real comfortable on marbles

Quote:
ClearwaterBMW
"this is a great little ride report was a wonderful images and I appreciate that you shared with us and look forward to your next installment."
Hey ClearwaterBMW, Thank you for the kind words. I hope I have lots of ride reports to... report.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
It was under 100!? So cool outside and I don't even think I was riding that day, I would have known

Really enjoyed your report, I do the same thing a lot of times- simply fill'er up and go, then hope you can find the way back. Hey, that's part of adventure, right? If I'm not mistaken it looks like you hit part of the Apache Trail, I'm not positive though.
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALthe3rd View Post

DADODIRT, I would love to see your photos. Riding a fully loaded bike on that road would cause me severe pucker factor. I'm not real comfortable on marbles

The picture doesn't do it too much justice, but here it is. The guy in the truck showed us the route.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
ALthe3rd OP
Kind of Gassy

Yes sir Mr. Zeid, you nailed it, part of the trip was indeed on the Apache Trail (Hwy 88)

Google Map of Apache Trail

DadODirt, thanks for posting the photo. I know how slippery those big river rocks get... you must have some big stones yourself to cross with a fully loaded GS. Im a little tentative as of yet to cross like that.