ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do the LEO's in your State enforce the "Keep Right Except to Pass" laws
Yes, They enforce it often 1 0.49%
Yes but NOT very often. 23 11.17%
NO, I have NEVER seen it enforced 165 80.10%
No, I don't think our state has such a law. 17 8.25%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Left lane enforcement POLL

This post got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
I would assume so but apparently DAKEZ isn't familiar with the "left lane is for passing only" law which is enforced in most states.
I stay mostly in the West so I do NOT ride in "Most States" but this post made me laugh because From my experience the 'Keep Right Except to Pass' laws are NOT enforced.

So here we are. Answer the poll. State Your State and "Yes" or "No" in a post. I would like it very much if I were to be proven wrong on this.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This post got me thinking.

I stay mostly in the West so I do NOT ride in "Most States" but this post made me laugh because From my experience the 'Keep Right Except to Pass' laws are NOT enforced.

So here we are. Answer the poll. State Your State and "Yes" or "No" in a post. I would like it very much if I were to be proven wrong on this.
its world wide from my experience

fr auzzie

except we should keep left

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

WA, OR Nope

MT, ID Yes, But not as often as they should.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
CRP6001
Photographer

Oddometer: 157
I commute 30,000 miles a year in Indiana and Kentucky.
Plenty of slow drivers in the left lane. I have never seen
any of them get pulled over.
CRP6001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Saw it written for 25/35 in left lane. Judge tossed it saying the law was vague. In Idaho there is usually a hidden "if the situation allows". so tickets get tossed. Irritating.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Sorry folks,
Very few states have "keep right except to pass" laws.
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Sorry folks,

Thank you for the Link.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
New Jersey yes39:4-88Passing on right prohibited unless vehicles are in "substantially continuous lines". 39:4-85.

SO yeah, that is why the right lane is often the fastest around here
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Ancient history - I got tagged on the Ohio TPK back in the '70's by a State Trooper for driving in the left lane. Had passed a car and then neglected to get back into the right lane. Middle of the night, negligible traffic. $75 lesson.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador
RA WI Regional Rep
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Haven't seen anybody pulled over for going too slow in the left (and just like everyone else reading this, I've seen way too many slow drivers in the "fast lane").

However, a couple years ago I did see a Washington State Police cruiser pull over a slow driving twit in a Subaru wagon on Highway 20 for not taking a pullout and letting the pile of vehicles behind him go past.

For those of you not familiar with Washington, on two-lane roads they post frequent signs telling drivers to pull over and let cars pass if more than 5 cars are behind them (and the pullouts are clearly marked with lots of "upcoming" signs as well).

How do I know that's what he was pulled over for? I was stopped at a scenic overlook having a cold drink and a smoke and letting my boys have some dangle time when the Subaru and WSP cruiser pulled up and practically blocked me in, so I heard the whole exchange.

The driver was a Washingtonian, and the car was festooned with the type of bumper stickers one usually associates with many Prius owners, or just about anyone that owns a vehicle in Portland. :)

I actually heard the Subie owner use words like "mellow", "environment" and "oppression, man, that's just oppression".

And the WSP officer using words like "dangerous", "unsafe", "signs", "posted speed" and finally losing his cool: "Sir! I paced you for five miles at 35-40 in a 55! You had over ten cars behind you and prompted a couple of dangerous passes! You drove by 2 pullouts that I saw, and there were at least 10 signs about the law since you got on this road! Are you intoxicated, taking medication or just plain born impaired?"

Long story longer, the guy got a ticket, and I had a hell of a time trying not to grin like an idiot or laughing until the cruiser pulled out. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
I have NEVER seen this law enforced in any US State. In most places it is ignored with impunity by all and sundry - but often as a matter of necessity due to the number of people who will cruise in the "passing lane", regardless of the law or traffic patterns around them.

In Europe it's an entirely different state of affairs. In the UK, I don't know of anyone actually being ticketed but the rule is generally fairly well adhered to and the self-appointed vigilante right-lane cruisers will usually get quite excited when someone blasts past them on the left (swap right for left for comparison with USA or mainland Europe.) In European countries with traditionally very fast roads (Italy, Germany) the lane discipline is much better and it is my understanding that the rules are vigorously enforced.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,805
I have spent several years working different projects from the east coast out to Colorado/WY which means mucho travel. In all my time slabbing I have NEVER seen any LEO enforce the "Keep right unless passing".

I65 from Indy up to Chicago is the worst stretch of interestate I have ever had the displeasure of driving. The speed limit is lower for trucks so they will run side by side 10 mph slower than traffic flow for miles and miles.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,583
It's the law in Maine. Many signs here to remind drivers to stay right. Signs along the freeways. Signs wherever a 2-lane road has a "truck" lane. They're not called truck lane; the standard sign says "slower traffic stay right". Every time. People still cruise past those signs in the left lane while well below the speed limit.

EDIT: Forgot to say there's no enforcement.

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 07:49 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,583
Most stated DO have keep right laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Sorry folks,
I looked at a few of the referenced statutes and it looks like MOST STATES HAVE KEEP RIGHT LAWS. The way I read those coded yellow they state that an operator pull to the right if they are going slower or if there is traffic behind. To me it looks like both green and yellow prohibit holding up traffic in the right lane.

That leaves a handful of states that don't have such a law.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,151
It's certainly the law here, and is posted by signs in as many places as it isn't. Few follow it, and no LEOs enforce it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote