ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do the LEO's in your State enforce the "Keep Right Except to Pass" laws
Yes, They enforce it often 1 0.49%
Yes but NOT very often. 23 11.17%
NO, I have NEVER seen it enforced 165 80.10%
No, I don't think our state has such a law. 17 8.25%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,947
Same here in Washington state. It's the law, but rarely enforced.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I saw a report on KOMO last week that the WSP was going to start cracking down on the LLOC (Left Lane Owners Club) on I-5 and issue warnings to generate awareness.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,504
Here in CT Interstate 95 has 2 lanes, and it's a violation to pass on the right. but the only way to make progress with all the left lane hogs is to pass on the right. If you want to get anywhere, you gotta take the risk.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I saw a report on KOMO last week that the WSP was going to start cracking down on the LLOC (Left Lane Owners Club) on I-5 and issue warnings to generate awareness.
Bring that policy over to NCW!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
It ain't never enforced here in Kalifornia, worse yet, the pigs never do anything about the slow fucks on 2 lane hwys w/ lines of cars behind 'em. (Even though it's against the law ta have mor than 4 vehicle behind you) But they'll jack a moto fer a safe dy pass ever time.
Pigs suck!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,856
It is law in Texas, and I have never seen it enforced.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I looked at a few of the referenced statutes and it looks like MOST STATES HAVE KEEP RIGHT LAWS. The way I read those coded yellow they state that an operator pull to the right if they are going slower or if there is traffic behind. To me it looks like both green and yellow prohibit holding up traffic in the right lane.

That leaves a handful of states that don't have such a law.
Well since this thread is about "keep right except to pass", not "slower vehicles keep right" I thought it would be useful to post the laws since they are two different things, and commonly misunderstood.

Slower than traffic often leaves some room for interpretation, here in Washington its defined as 5 or more vehicles.

Always best to base your decisions (and righteous indignation) on facts rather than opinions.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
They are also cracking down on drivers who cut in front of commercial vehicles.

No matter how many vehicles I yield to at a merge, 2 more will cut me off at the last second.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
It's probably not that easy to enforce...IF a cop comes up behind someone in the left lane they usually pull over. Sitting on the side of the road participating in their favorite pass time (speed trapping) it's probably difficult to determine if the average passer by is just running in the left lane...light traffic....who cares...heavy traffic whose to say they aren't passing someone...

with all that said LEO's in the US are more interested in handing out speeding tickets....more profitable easier to catch and many municipalities have quotas for speeding tickets. The US and State governments are obsessed with keeping speed down. Which is ironic because we have some of the best maintained roads in the world.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
It's probably not that easy to enforce...IF a cop comes up behind someone in the left lane they usually pull over. Sitting on the side of the road participating in their favorite pass time (speed trapping) it's probably difficult to determine if the average passer by is just running in the left lane...light traffic....who cares...heavy traffic whose to say they aren't passing someone...

with all that said LEO's in the US are more interested in handing out speeding tickets....more profitable easier to catch and many municipalities have quotas for speeding tickets. The US and State governments are obsessed with keeping speed down. Which is ironic because we have some of the best maintained roads in the world.
Ontario is exactly the same. Cops are ONLY interested in fines derived from no-defence speed charges. Trafic flow and safety are no concern at all, unless they're held up by someone.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Here in Arkansas, I believe we have an "impeding traffic" sort of law, and not necessarily a "stay right except to pass" law. I'm not sure if LEOs would enforce this the same way, or not.

That being said, I have never seen our impeding traffic law being enforced. I have never even heard of it being enforced. I have never even heard the slightest whisper of a hint of a wild rumor that it's been enforced.

I do live in a community with a fairly higher percentage of retired resident, and I think the police officers and sheriff's deputies are inclined to give these folks a pass if they're driving slower than the rest of traffic. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned. Older folks with poor eyesight and slow reflexes and powerful pharmaceutical prescriptions should be able to drive as slow as they feel safe. Yes, it's frustrating when you can't pass a slow driver on a curvy 2-lane, but do I really want that 103-year-old with 140/20 vision and a 8-pills-a-day habit for narcotics driving at 65 miles per hour. No, I really don't. I want them to stop driving, or driving 35 mph.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,808
I watched a guy almost get rear ended last night by a philadelphia cop in the left lane. Officer speedy came up behind dudley dolittle so fast I thought there would be contact. the douchebag didn't hurry to get over either, even though there was plenty of room to his right.
PS I was coming up passd the guy in the right ;lane as it happened, center lane was clear.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
It is law in Texas, and I have never seen it enforced.
Once you get off the interstates though, East Texans tend to be fairly courteous. They'll often pull to a wide shoulder. West Texans?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Here in Florida, you're lucky if the meat-head in front of you can even decide on a lane, keep it in the lane they decide on, not swing an impromptu unsignalled turn to the opposite side, and/or drive in a lane without a turn signal or two on, or with their headlights on after dusk.

I've never seen anyone pulled here for blocking the left, and we have signs in different places. I've never seen anyone pulled for failing to signal either. I've known people to get pulled for 6 over, just matching traffic, though.

Some po-po are pretty cool here though. In Chicago, you had to really be screwing up something to get pulled by city po-po too (or match a description of somebody they were looking for), but suburban or state po-po were pretty strict about speed and other more-obscure things.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I looked at a few of the referenced statutes and it looks like MOST STATES HAVE KEEP RIGHT LAWS. The way I read those coded yellow they state that an operator pull to the right if they are going slower or if there is traffic behind. To me it looks like both green and yellow prohibit holding up traffic in the right lane.

That leaves a handful of states that don't have such a law.
Click through and read the vehicle code. For most states that have the law, it is exempt on divided highways, one way roads, or roads with more than one lane. So basically it is not against the law to cruise in the left lane when there is one.

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote