ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
kareblak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Bluhduh How much cold can my Adventure take?

I have a 990 currently in storage, since the roads are being salted too much for the bike's good during winter. I'm thinking about picking it up very soon, but I have no garage or warm place to keep it during the night, so I wonder if the night cold is good for it, at all.

I comes down to aroung -8˚C (17˚F) during night. Of course, the cooling liquid can be adjusted to the temperature, but what about all the other stuff? Also, riding will be restricted to temperatures around freezing during day, but I guess that that's no problem at all. More worried about the night storage.

Please give me a big, healthy

kB
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
I live in Iowa, which can get very cold. I keep my bike on a trickle charger all winter, and I ride it whenever I can. The only problem I have riding in the winter is the battery. The bike needs a strong battery to start in the cold. I use a Shorai, and the battery just does not have adequate cold cranking amps when below 32˚F. I'm considering putting in an Interstate battery that has 250 CCA and just using using the Shorai as an emergency backup.

So, make sure you have a good battery, and you should be fine.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I live in Iowa, which can get very cold. I keep my bike on a trickle charger all winter, and I ride it whenever I can. The only problem I have riding in the winter is the battery. The bike needs a strong battery to start in the cold. I use a Shorai, and the battery just does not have adequate cold cranking amps when below 32˚F. I'm considering putting in an Interstate battery that has 250 CCA and just using using the Shorai as an emergency backup.

So, make sure you have a good battery, and you should be fine.
Thats good advice.

Here in Latvia we get down to -30 C (-22 F). My garage is unheated and uninsulated. Inside the garage the temperature can get to -20 C (-4 F). I've stored my KTM in this garage for 6 years and have had no problems. However, I always remove the battery and store it indoors.

The OE Yuasa battery is 230 CCA, so it's good for cold starts, but be careful of other lesser makes as CCA can be almost half that.

If your temperature changes significantly and regularly, be careful as this can lead to condensation, which is very bad. But as you are storing outside, this should not be a problem.
Kawasaki KLR 650 (1988)
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)

RedRupert screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 06:44 AM
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,781
Keep the SE on a trickle all winter here in WI. Times I have had it out I will put my big charger on it for 30 minutes to an hour before cranking. Haven't had any issues with her firing right up down in the teens.

You could always bring battery in the house and keep it on a tender inside.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
kareblak OP
Adventurer

Yes, the battery

Well, the problem is that I don't want to remove the battery every time I've taken a ride. It takes some time, and I'll be riding every day.

I know the bike has survived some below before, so maybe I'll give it a try. No outlets for trickle chargers nearby. Maybe I just need to get some rutine on removing and installing the battery...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareblak View Post
Well, the problem is that I don't want to remove the battery every time I've taken a ride. It takes some time, and I'll be riding every day.

I know the bike has survived some below before, so maybe I'll give it a try. No outlets for trickle chargers nearby. Maybe I just need to get some rutine on removing and installing the battery...
No need to remove the battery. Many trickle chargers come with a harness (or it can be purchased separately) that have battery connections at one end, and a connection for the charger at the other end. Leave the connector in a convenient place so that you can quickly plug the charger in.

If you have a 12V power point, you can charge via that.
Kawasaki KLR 650 (1988)
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Solar powered trickle charger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B0007KGWE6
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Heat

If possible try to warm up the battery, that will do the trick.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
There are companies that sell heating mats that are glued to batteries for arctic use. They run on 120 or 240V depending on the source. If I was running in that cold of weather I'd put a heating mat on the battery and the oil tank... Just cause I'm lazy...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,791
There are more lithium batteries out there

http://antigravitybatteries.com/info...batteries.com/

http://earthxmotorsports.com/product...r1000f/etx18c/

with more CCA, much more than 230, 360 for the antigravity and 230 for the earthX

Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I wonder how effectivly it will charge at night?

Actually looks like a decent product, but probably not gonna help with this particular situation.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
I have a 990 currently in storage, since the roads are being salted too much for the bike's good during winter. I'm thinking about picking it up very soon, but I have no garage or warm place to keep it during the night, so I wonder if the night cold is good for it, at all.

I comes down to aroung -8˚C (17˚F) during night. Of course, the cooling liquid can be adjusted to the temperature, but what about all the other stuff? Also, riding will be restricted to temperatures around freezing during day, but I guess that that's no problem at all. More worried about the night storage.

Please give me a big, healthy

kB
FWIW, the cold weather will actually make the battery keep it's charge longer, all things being equal. If your bike's charging system is doing its job (factoring in heated gear and all), the storage of the bike in cold weather won't hurt the battery. A cold battery doesn't have as much power to start a bike, but if it's a decent battery that was fully charged, and gets used every few weeks, you shouldn't need the battery tender.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
My 950SM is in central CA, so the weather is very moderate. But when I get off work at 1am, and it's 35 degrees or less, it's real iffy on whether it is going to start or not. I've got a brand new Yuasa, we'll see whether it solves it or not.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
kareblak OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
FWIW, the cold weather will actually make the battery keep it's charge longer, all things being equal. If your bike's charging system is doing its job (factoring in heated gear and all), the storage of the bike in cold weather won't hurt the battery. A cold battery doesn't have as much power to start a bike, but if it's a decent battery that was fully charged, and gets used every few weeks, you shouldn't need the battery tender.
That's true. And it will only be a couple of weeks (I hope) before the thermometer starts creeping over to the plus side (the happy side) of the Celsius scale.

Any protesters against this claim: The battery will be fine if I use it every day for a significant amount of time to charge the battery, and I have a really, really nice "excuse" to ride it as fast and often as I can?

In that case: I like.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
That's true. And it will only be a couple of weeks (I hope) before the thermometer starts creeping over to the plus side (the happy side) of the Celsius scale.

Any protesters against this claim: The battery will be fine if I use it every day for a significant amount of time to charge the battery, and I have a really, really nice "excuse" to ride it as fast and often as I can?

In that case: I like.
You should be fine. Make sure you get adequate RPMs when using the bike so that the battery actually charges. Cranking the bike in the garage once a week won't really charge the battery without some RPMs.

The other thing to think about is oil. I believe the owner's manual speaks to which oil to use in which temperature. I use 10W-50 in all temperatures. In extreme cold, the manual might suggest you thin the oil out to a 5W or something like that. For me, Motorex 10W-50 works just fine down to 20 degrees F. No problems so far.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote