User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Touratech xenon rally fairing

Anyone with the TT xenon twin headlight rally fairing setup? Some questions...

The picture on the website seems to show the lower as a projector and the upper as a standard reflector...is this the case or are they both projectors.

The upper is apparently a halogen, not a HID? If this is true would there be room to retrofit a projector?

How is lowbeam adjustment made?

Any reports (or hopefully nighttime beam pattern photos) of how good these are, compared to other set-ups, such as the Euro reflector with HID lights.

Yes they are horribly expensive but if they actually throw decent light with a good low beam cutoff I might consider it.

RoundOz screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 04:48 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 769
In Touratech's Xenon screen option, the upper light is a halogen and not a HID. I have the 2X halogen version, but also have the a Touratech HID mounted as part of their aux light package. It's by far the brightest light I've ever used, but haven't seen any other (cheaper) HID setups in action, so my opinion isn't particularly objective in that regard.
you should be able to find some useful background info here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422717
Fwiw I bought the setup used from another inmate, who was also offering a damaged HID/DE version at the time. It was a while ago (10/2011) , but assuming he still has it, you might be able to get it for cheap if you just want something to experiment with. I can PM you his details if you're interested.

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Thanks for the feedback. I have a 35W HID H4 (barely better than stock) and am in the middle of a project adding a projector to a stock housing, but I have always wanted the twin light TT look and am starting to think it is worth the ridiculous number of Deutchmarks to get better lights and looks at the same time. Yes please PM me the details...

Can you tell me how low beam adjustment is done...I am guessing the fairing has to come off to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
In Touratech's Xenon screen option, the upper light is a halogen and not a HID. I have the 2X halogen version, but also have the a Touratech HID mounted as part of their aux light package. It's by far the brightest light I've ever used, but haven't seen any other (cheaper) HID setups in action, so my opinion isn't particularly objective in that regard.
you should be able to find some useful background info here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422717
Fwiw I bought the setup used from another inmate, who was also offering a damaged HID/DE version at the time. It was a while ago (10/2011) , but assuming he still has it, you might be able to get it for cheap if you just want something to experiment with. I can PM you his details if you're interested.

Douf
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
In Touratech's Xenon screen option, the upper light is a halogen and not a HID.
I read post 34 on the thread you references as saying the opposite. That the DE/Xenon option had the Xenon as high and the DE as low. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
and am in the middle of a project adding a projector to a stock housing, but I have always wanted the twin light TT look and am starting to think it is worth the ridiculous number of Deutchmarks to get better lights and looks at the same time. Yes please PM me the details...
Curious, has anyone rolled their own? Link? Dual headlight modules (similar to the Touratech), a fiberglass screen and a custom bracket? I figure someone must have. I've made similar in fiberglass before, would be a big project no doubt but not impossible.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 187
Yeah, there seems to be a couple of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I read post 34 on the thread you references as saying the opposite. That the DE/Xenon option had the Xenon as high and the DE as low. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=34

Curious, has anyone rolled their own? Link? Dual headlight modules (similar to the Touratech), a fiberglass screen and a custom bracket? I figure someone must have. I've made similar in fiberglass before, would be a big project no doubt but not impossible.
May wanna take a look at this thread.
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Thanks for that link. All props to the builder...it is a wonderful piece of engineering but the shape doesn't do anything for me personally. I like everything about the TT look. I even posted somewhere encouraging a TT owner to make a copy mould as TT refuse to sell the screen as a separate item ( and quite rightly got blasted by other inmates for encouraging patent breaches, copyright etc).
I have started going down the road of rolling my own - I have an old OEM screen from which I intended to make a mold, and I have a cheap-ish hid projector that I have started fitting into an OEM headlight shell with the intent to mount an led flood as the top fixture. Unfortunately I am long on ideas and ambition and short on spare time and I don't want to waste another riding season with the KaTuM dismantled. Maybe I just need to heat my garage, sell my kids and get a divorce...in fact the first two would lead to the third as a natural progression...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_RO View Post
May wanna take a look at this thread.
Thanks for that. Any more? Like RoundOz, I prefer the shape of the TT. Odd as usually I hate the aesthetics of their stuff.

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 187
One more

These guys mentioned something on their blog ... it might be compatible with 950/990 but it's not listed under 950/990 parts on their webshop.

No clue about the price of the headlights/rallyscreen or if it's mountable using the standard Adv front tower. Or if it's adjustable...
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Douf
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 35W HID H4 (barely better than stock) and am in the middle of a project adding a projector to a stock housing, but I have always wanted the twin light TT look and am starting to think it is worth the ridiculous number of Deutchmarks to get better lights and looks at the same time. Yes please PM me the details...

Can you tell me how low beam adjustment is done...I am guessing the fairing has to come off to do it?
Yes the fairing needs to be removed and then the lamps are adjusted in a fairly conventional fashion via screw adjusters. Here's a pic of the DE/DE setup. I assume the DE/HID is similar.

Douf
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Douf
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Yeah sorry about that. In responding to the OP's initial inquiry, I assumed the location of the HID was correct. Just confirming that they're not both HIDs in the Touratech setup. Our wonderful work-based web connection blocks all Photobucket/Smugmug content, so none of the pics are visible on ADV

Douf
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
I have the HD high beam/ Halogen Low TT dealio. I paid a lot for used it too, so I better like it.

I had HID'd my euro light before and found that having the low as just a standard incandescent bulb is better.

Low beam HID annoys on coming traffic, even aimed correctly.

Often if the bike was hard to start, it would fault out the ballast and there would be no beam burning. At night I'd quick flip the key (no euro switch) but during the day I often had no clue there was no beam.

That said, I'm sure these problems are surmountable with a delay relay or something.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I have the HD high beam/ Halogen Low TT dealio
Often if the bike was hard to start, it would fault out the ballast and there would be no beam burning.
Surely this is only possible if you were starting the bike with HIGH beam on?

Quote:
That said, I'm sure these problems are surmountable with a delay relay or something.
There doesn't appear to be a relay of any kind, according to the instructions sheet. Is the ballast wired direct to battery, I saw in the instructions it has you upgrade a fuse from 15A to 20A which makes me think not and it's just wired to the standard headlight wiring?

The more I look at it, the more I like it .... I just wish it was available primed. I don't like either color nor the white checker-flag graphics.

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 05:54 PM
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Surely this is only possible if you were starting the bike with HIGH beam on?

There doesn't appear to be a relay of any kind, according to the instructions sheet. Is the ballast wired direct to battery, I saw in the instructions it has you upgrade a fuse from 15A to 20A which makes me think not and it's just wired to the standard headlight wiring?

The more I look at it, the more I like it .... I just wish it was available primed. I don't like either color nor the white checker-flag graphics.
Hold out for a scratched one... I frankly cannot remember if it came with a relay for the hb or if it simply plugged in to the existing switched leads. I could look but I'm not going to be in the same time zone as my bike until Saturday night. I've installed many a tt item and never was too impressed with the wire they include. I think this is the part they stuff in the box and say, 'Feh, they'll figure it out.' I probably made my own harness out of the wire they sent and relayed the hb hid. I have a bag of the same molexes and pins the factory used for the light harness. A s.a.s.e. and some sweet pm action could get you one if it would help.

Regarding the issues I had with the low beam faulting out, that wasn't with the TT kit. That was with both bulbs HID'd in a Euro light. It became clear to me why they sell it that way because all said, hid low is sorta a PIA.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Hold out for a scratched one...
Yeah, I'd be down with a badly scratched one, as long as the lights are OK. If anyone reading has one, PM me
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Also found this: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...ar_screen.html
I expect it began as a thread here. Need to find it.