User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Tankad OP
Pure Shenanigans

Oddometer: 87
LED Turn signal wiring help

I have been planning for a few years to build a late 60’s early 70’s Isle of Man TT inspired street bike. In the next few weeks I am going to begin. I am starting with a 1974 R75 /6… and since it will be my daily rider, I need headlight and more to the point… turn signals. I am planning on using These: http://www.360signals.net/buynow.html

and I am wondering If I will need to use In-Line Universal LED Resistors to make the system work right? something like these: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-wiring-parts-in-line-universal-led-resistors-24-0010.html or http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-wiring-parts-in-line-universal-led-resistors-26-6242.html

Any guidance or experience with LED turn signals on these old girls would be most appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
My gut would think that those LED roundels would already have an inline resistor with them. I would think that the designer of those roundels should have designed them to be hooked up to a 12v DC source.

You likely do, however, need to be careful of the polarity when hooking up the led's. (make sure you hook the + to + and - to -). If not hooked up properly, again depending on design, you COULD toast the led.

Bottom line, I don't have a solid answer for ya, but I'd venture to say that you would be fine without additional resistor. If you are worried. Feel free to use add an inline resistor. You just may make the led's a bit dim.

Sorry for the vague, non answer on that one.
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
man, those are SWEET. spendy, but slick:)

RE: LED - I would, and did, replace the stock blinker relay with a LED relay (from superbrightleds.com). That way you do NOT have to put resistors in and defeat the low electrical usage of the LEDs.

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Tankad OP
Pure Shenanigans

Thanks gents.... since they did cost $$$ I really want to be careful not to fry them. I think replacing the stock blinker relay with a LED relay might be the way to go.

Benthis - do you remember which one you went with?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...c-flasher/782/

It has fewer prongs as the stock, but I didn't have any problems. I do have an aftermarket speedo and I think that helped. I can't remember off the top of my head why i didn't need the 4th prong.

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

That relay has pins 49, 49a, and 31. If you look at your wiring diagram, you can trace those to (if I'm reading it right):

31=ground
49=power in to relay
49a= power out of relay to blinker switch.

The fourth prong that is missing is what flashes the turn signal indicator on the stock speedo cluster from what I can tell.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,731
There are TWO types of resistors in this thread!!!!!!!!!

Be careful of what you are talking about!!!!!

SERIES resistors - used to limit the current to the LEDs so they don't blow up. (posts 1, 2)

PARALLEL resistors - used to increase the current draw so the blinker relay thinks things are ok - drawing the same amount of current as the incandescent lamps would. (post 3)

Don't get them confused. Different functions of each and different connections.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Tankad OP
Pure Shenanigans

Thank you for the information...

I am planning on running an acewell 2853.

Warin - I am kind of a noob when it comes to electrical stuff. Is there a direction you think I should go? I was planning on changing out the relay... Do I need to use one of the resistors as well, and if so... which one?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope I word this correctly....

Warin is correct, there are 2 resistors needed when using LED turn signals. The ones you origionally posted were designed for wiring in parallel. (You know how when you have a burnt out rear blinker in your car, the result is the front blinker blinks 2x as fast.....this is due to the load (resistance) lost.) When you connect 2 LED turn signals up, due to their efficiency and low resistance, the stock relay will see it as a burnt out light and end up blinking real fast or maybe not at all (not sure how airhead relays work). If you chose to use those resistors you mentioned in post #1, your stock relay would see your efficient led's and normal non efficient bulbs. However, with a new led relay, those resistors are not required. It sounds like you are opting for the led relay, so parallel resistors won't be needed for you.

The series resistors mentioned: if you connected a plain LED directly to 12v source, it would burn up in a flash as there is no resistance with an LED, thus it would act like a short circuit. Thus a resistor is necessary (wired in series) to help limit/control the current. If you were making your own LED turn signals, this would be a VERY important thing to know. However, in the case of these premade lights, I'd bet just about anything that they already have that covered for ya, however, just to make sure, send them an email as verify that a resistor wired in series is already present.

Sooo.....long answer to your question, in your case, I am willing to bet just about anything that with that LED relay, you should be able to directly wire up the new LED's with zero issues.

Keep in mind, you MUST connect the LED's up with the proper polarity.....positive to positive, and negative to negative. Or for Airheads, LED black wire hooked to Airhead brown wire. LED Red wire hooked to Airhead Blue dashed wire. (At least that is the colors on my /7)

Hope this clears this up.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post

SERIES resistors - used to limit the current to the LEDs so they don't blow up. (posts 1, 2)

PARALLEL resistors - used to increase the current draw so the blinker relay thinks things are ok - drawing the same amount of current as the incandescent lamps would. (post 3)

I'm by no means an expert, but of the 5 or so LED units I've bought, there has been no mention of needing a resistor to prevent the LEDs from blowing up. I would expect that a module made for a motorcycle/vehicle would be basically plug and play - I did NOT need to add any resistors to prevent explosion:) and the LED compatible relay eliminates the need for the parallel resistors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankad View Post
Thank you for the information...

I am planning on running an acewell 2853.

Warin - I am kind of a noob when it comes to electrical stuff. Is there a direction you think I should go? I was planning on changing out the relay... Do I need to use one of the resistors as well, and if so... which one?

Thanks.
I have the same Acewell, so the relay i linked to should be fine:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Tankad OP
Pure Shenanigans

Benthic & Sabre170 - Thanks for breaking this information down noob style I'm going to send the guy that makes the turn signals an email just to make sure... but I now have a better understanding of how this is all tied together.

Many thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post

If the idea is to use less juice, then you need a different flasher that will work with the low draw of the LEDs rather than putting in more resistance so the LEDS act like incandescents.

If you just want the longevity of the LEDS (and I find many are not too long lived) then you can add another resistor to increase the draw through the stock flasher.

A no-load flasher should be available from your local auto parts store. These are solid state rather than using a resistance driven bi-metalic strip.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Soliecirc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
so I purchased a few LED turn signals and plan to get an LED taillight but really do not have any experience when it comes to wiring. I have read as much as I can here in the forum for instruction. I purchased a relay from superbrightLEDs as Benthic recommended and went with the LED turn signals that Sabre has pictured.
My question is how to get from what I currently have set up to get the LED set up? There is obviously more wires with the new LEDs than there are slots on that existing little black box the wires go in to.
I created a dropbox account to post pictures, I hope it works. EDIT--looks like the photos didnt work, any suggestions?
Any help is appreciated on the LED wiring. I am hoping it is plug and play like the beacon light I purchased(and will no longer need)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb5qgww8rw...%2007%20PM.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtli2qnihl...%2035%20PM.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxcxy9v6u1...%2027%20PM.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kair488ho4...%2022%20PM.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g2k6e33g0...%2047%20PM.jpg
thanks

Soliecirc screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 08:48 AM Reason: Trying to get photo links to work
Soliecirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliecirc View Post
so I purchased a few LED turn signals and plan to get an LED taillight but really do not have any experience when it comes to wiring. I have read as much as I can here in the forum for instruction. I purchased a relay from superbrightLEDs as Benthic recommended and went with the LED turn signals that Sabre has pictured.
My question is how to get from what I currently have set up to get the LED set up? There is obviously more wires with the new LEDs than there are slots on that existing little black box the wires go in to.
I created a dropbox account to post pictures, I hope it works. EDIT--looks like the photos didnt work, any suggestions?
Any help is appreciated on the LED wiring. I am hoping it is plug and play like the beacon light I purchased(and will no longer need) Thanks
Your pics:

Dropbox is a complete PITA. I would lose them. See who other people are using.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

What year/model bike do you have? I can try to walk you through the wiring and such, but will need a bit more info form ya so I can talk specific wiring diagrams and such.

As for posting photos, I use photobucket and haven't had any problems. They have the option where you can get the "Direct Link" to post photos.