User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Best used bike for the money?

Yesterday, I went to the first trials event I have attended in 30 years. WOW have things changed since I used to compete.

After spectating, I believe I'd like to give this a try again. That said, being on a limited retirement budget, is it even realistic to think I could buy a fun bike for $2000 or less?

I've no illusions about being competitive again, that boat sailed long ago. I just would like something with which I could ride Novice/Beginner for the fun commradery.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Yes, $2000 is just enough to get you on a decent bike. I would try and get something 2004 or newer.
If you could scrape together $2500 you would open up a lot more options.

Running costs are VERY minor. (If bike is in decent shape and you do regular maintenance)
$5 a ride for gas, pre-mix, chain lube and filter oil
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The other option is to go Vintage, if you have a local Vintage group in your area. More the type of sections and skill set from the 70/80's. A good vintage bike can be found for $1000.00

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wish there was a vintage group in the KC area. That would be more attuned to my age and previous riding style.

Any particular brands you would recommend? Most of the guys around here seem to prefer GasGas. There are a few currently available for more than I can pay. I assume better to get something which is currently imported for parts availability.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
I wish there was a vintage group in the KC area. That would be more attuned to my age and previous riding style.
Check out www.twinshock.org I think they have a group in MO.

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Yesterday, I went to the first trials event I have attended in 30 years. WOW have things changed since I used to compete.

After spectating, I believe I'd like to give this a try again. That said, being on a limited retirement budget, is it even realistic to think I could buy a fun bike for $2000 or less?

I've no illusions about being competitive again, that boat sailed long ago. I just would like something with which I could ride Novice/Beginner for the fun commradery.
Yamaha TY250. I got a flat tire in an event and switched with a another rider who loaned me his TY. I normally ride an early 4 speed Bultaco and the TY was like cheating. For a novice rider in modern trials you cant go wrong and if they have a vintage class you are all set. The normal motorcycle feel of a TY is comforting and it all feels normal unlike modern trials motorcycles that are as weird as scaditch.

Dave

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Trials bike prices are all over the board around here. One local guy wants $2800 for a 2003 Gas Gas TXT280 another is asking $3000 for a 2006 Scorpa. I looked for awhile before I found the one I have ($500 1992 GT25). I went with a 1990's model just because it was cheap and figured it will be good to learn some basics on. Plus right now I have no interest in competing so for me a bike like this one is ok. If you want to compete I would not recommend it.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:

Any particular brands you would recommend? Most of the guys around here seem to prefer GasGas. There are a few currently available for more than I can pay. I assume better to get something which is currently imported for parts availability.
John,

Update your profile, (location below your nickname) to reflect actual location... I had NO idea your from KC area. you have several clubs near enough for you to ride with, with not that bad of travel... of course MATT, MWTA (30 miles south of Omaha) and AVTA (rides at Douglass KS, and once or twice a year, place near a town called Peru KS, which is straight north of Tulsa/Bartlesville ok just inside the KS border). Dale Malasek is in the MATT club, he's the US importer of gasgas, and MATT has a handfull of riders, which you need to meet.)

I assume if you "just watched" a ride, maybe it was at the farmhouse outside leavenworth this last weekend?

I know where a 02-280 pro might be bought in the NOT YET ADVERTISED price below your price limit). that could make a decent (cheap) re-starter bike? 04 had a few more refinements, after a few months on anything, getting friendly with club and locals, you would then use your first bike to recruit your close friend, while you get a newer bike of your choice, hehehehee, at least that is how we try to do it.

PM me, get me your email, I can try and help you get hooked up to other KC guys, AND OR, goto the MATT TRIALS website http://www.matt-trials.com) and sign yourself up for the newsline "newsletter" bottom left of main page.

Sites for you to be involved in, or watch, whatever 3 closest to you...
these all have facebook as well, and all the clubs so far in our regionals seem to have a facebook page of some kind.
http://www.trialsclubs.us/ list of clubs in North America
http://www.matt-trials.com MATT, Missouri-Kansas City club
http://www.avtatrials.com/ AVTA Douglass KS, Wichita based club
http://mwta-trials.com/ Nebraska, just south of Omaha, Nehawka Ne.

Other forums and info
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/51-...-trials-bikes/ Thumpertalk(-Trials subforum)
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/ Trials Central (world Trials webforums and news site)

There are others, but this should get you started. we have a now 5 clubs regionals that start soon, texas, 2 for oklahoma, ks, misouri, and now Nebraska.

Sting32 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:50 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sting,

PM SENT, definitely interested!

Thanks for the info on the clubs. I met Dale on Sunday and everyone welcomed me with the question of where's your bike?!? Several other guys let me try their rides out as well. It was nice to see a number of fellow "silver foxes", I was the Army gortex trapping around the course.

I used to compete in AMA Dist 22 long ago and also regularly rode with MATT when they held their meets at the old airport quarry. I have been lurking on the club sites you listed for sometime. Hopefully, I'll have a bike sooner rather than later. Look forward to meeting you along the trail.

Irish John screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:25 PM
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Sting,

Thanks for the info on the clubs. I met Dale on Sunday and everyone welcomed me with the question of where's your bike?!? Several other guys let me try their rides out as well. It was nice to see a number of fellow "silver foxes", I was the Army gortex trapping around the course.

I used to compete in AMA Dist 22 long ago and also regularly rode with MATT when they held their meets at the old airport quarry. I have been lurking on the club sites you listed for sometime. Hopefully, I'll have a bike sooner rather than later. Look forward to meeting you along the trail.
COOL! Lawrence (without looking at a map, makes all the clubs about equal distance, you could ride an event 3 weekends a month, which is a boon when you are getting back up to speed.

Nice riding area on north end of Tuttle Creek Lake, and Milford Lake of course. if you got any places found, near you, be sure to invite me! Oh and one buddy has built a riding area on his farm, north of Abilene just couple miles west. Ill go check my PM's and add you to my email. Plus (closer for you) we can ride at that farm you were at, almost any time, last I knew, the owner is a good buddy of mine (Ken).
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
LeShaghal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Pshhh

$2000 dollars will get you a lot of bike IMO.
The 95-01 GasGas seem to get overlooked (esp. the earlier ones)they were/are GREAT bikes and can be had for $1300-1800 just about anywhere. 2K might get you the nicest one of all time!

Anything earlier than '95 and you get into goofy thermostats, bad water routing, piston ported rather than case reed, USD forks, cracking frames and a Whole other assortment of science experiments. They're good bikes but they require a tinkerer's touch to bring them up to snuff.

Obviously a later model is better, and I only recommend the Gassers because the parts availability&straightforwardness.
You won't notice a heavier bike as your first bike and it'll teach you TONs about balance, finesse, and overall control. Then when you do swing a leg over a modern machine everything seems to come just a tad bit easier. Also, Gotta love a big ass gas-tank on the older bikes! Newer bikes PUNCH and HARD. not friendly to 1st timer (Black throttle body may help this)
I'm no super trials rider, but every time I cuss my bikes and think "On a newer machine I'd go expert in a weekend"...I just Google the 90's world rounds and watch those guys make those 180+lb machines look as weightless& obedient as Raga's newest Pro model (what are they now? like 160-145lbs?)

Wanna really see something,
Watch an early 90's indoor trial and see what the pros could milk out of an Aprilia Climber (I hardly consider it a trials machine...more like a tank, or some sort of earth moving equipment!)

just my 2cents

LeShaghal screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 07:31 AM Reason: Eh...spelling, not so much.
LeShaghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Sting,

Dave here, that was me sharing the trail with you on the first loop Sunday but I left while most everybody was preparing for their second loop. It was definitely good to get out and catch up what is going on in modern trials. I am giving some serious thought to picking up a bike but need to sell a bike or two before bringing home another.

LeShagal, thanks for the comments on 95-01 Gas Gas; will definitely give one some serious consideration.

Dave

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Dave, you ought to get your Ossa out for the next trial. Those were very nice twin shock bikes. I used to ride an Ossa Explorer in H&H and Enduro events "back in the day". Ran into a little snag in the bike hunt which will put off a purchase a bit. That said, I still plan to get something and start. Sting32 has been a big help to me in sorting out this process. Hope to see you in the future.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
You'll see me around. I need to sell a bike or two to generate some cash to pick up a rider but I am getting more interested in looking for a new bike.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You may have one of the few Ossa 303's in the US. How does it run?