Hot chicks that can actually ride would be even better
Yes! Rokon already beat us to it though

1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Hardcopy magazines are great for bathroom reading (which is a necessity of course.... ...) but they are somewhat limited compared to the potential inherent in opening a topic up on the internet. The hardcopy is a great way to introduce a topic, whether it is a bike or gear review, or a route or place review, but it is a limited format, and there is so much more that can be expanded upon online (of course, part of the beauty of 'professional' journalism is that you guys have to be succinct and you have editors who help to keep you on course, whereas the online community can be unruly and difficult to manage).

For example.... many of the current crop of bikes arrive at the dealer with very lean fueling. Magazine reviewers don't get to modify the bikes to address this type of issue when they review them, but savvy owners will do these mods and by sharing their knowledge they can help other new owners sort out a poorly running machine. There are so many mods that we do to our bikes, it would be helpful to have access to 'intelligent' and 'useful' information that helps us with decisions we need to make when there are so many choices out there. This is the interface where you can potentially add value for the individual who wants the highest quality information.

The internet expands potential greatly, but it is something that must be managed (if it didn't we wouldn't need moderators on this site and others). You could create some really groundbreaking innovations by marrying the two formats to get the best out of both.

For the record, I find Motorcycle Consumer News to be head and shoulders above all other printed publications, not only because they have no advertising, but because they do excellent in-depth reviews of bikes and gear, and they do excellent 'how-to' articles as well.

Good luck!

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,373
The Ride Reports here are the biggest hook and the crown jewel of this site. I think that would translate pretty well to print.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,639
Head to head product reviews have become the norm... and for sure have lots of value.

Why not add an element of product review to the ride report (whatever you decide to call it) part of the mag.

"We chose the XYZ luggage sytem for this ride. It work well in these respects.... we found these features lacking..."

We all have a different idea of moto camping, so we all bring different amounts of crap with us for different reasons. Give us something to think about as to why you brought a chair or didn't bring a chair... how did that work?

Also, I am sure lots of people would like a look into how a trip is planned (something longer than a weekend). Topo maps... google maps... route exchange sites.... etc. Do you even need to plan a trip that exactly? Pros and Cons.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
JWnWyoming
n00b

Oddometer: 8
affordability

Hi Jamie, Been a fan of your writing for some time. My twist is, Bikes, gear and trips we can all afford.
Only about 10% of can afford Beemers and the trick gear they advertise. Most of us fall in the KLR, Wee-strom category. Trip articles that give us options like free (or cheap) camping, low cost meals and gas availability.
If I have a finite riding budget, I would try to ride some where most every weekend as opposed to one blowout trip a season.
It's easy to spend more but more fun and inventive to spend less.
Good luck and keep us informed!
JWnWyoming
JWnWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
This one was purdy good - for two issues until out of money.

http://www.outriderjournal.com
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,581
You could simply recommend that people skip the dull colors of the F800ST and just strap a lawn chair to a brighter F800S. No?

Print mags are good at comparisons. The features important on ADV are not always those in Sport Rider. SR did have the best ergonomic pictures -- more informative than the measurements in MCist. CW recently added charging capacity which is a good thing.

Tire comparisons. Another great SR feature. The people reporting on ADV are not able to test 5 kinds of tires through the same situations in a short time. We're always looking for an acceptable compromise between grip and longevity. I don't know how to quantify grip, but I'd be glad to read a comparison.

I suppose that mags and the net are about equal for communicating bike projects. Some of the magazine projects have CRAZY budgets on changes that are largely cosmetic and perhaps some weight savings. (I'm thinking of some of the titanium exhausts that don't boost power.) Most of us are looking for function and comfort.

Stay away from what you don't know. MCist had an adventure comparison (2005? 6?) that included camping gear. The comments showed clearly that the testers didn't use the gear. Which leads me to . . .

NO PRESS RELEASES. Every single mag seems to have a gear intro page reproducing glowing ad copy for gear. It's clear that the editors have never seen the bit of kit but they publish the "news" anyway.

"How to get the most out of your . . . " My first thought was about how to pack top-loading cases so not everything was under something else, how to pack your side-opening cases so nothing falls out, and how to pack your soft bags so nothing gets crushed. But the same idea could be used for lots of other gear.

Last and least: Oil
I have no access to the engineers at API or Honda or BMW. Neither does anyone else on ADV which is why our technical discussions have so little data and so much discussion of each others' heredity. A mag would probably have better access to people who have done actual tests with real data. The last article about break-in procedures from Kevin Cameron was in (perhaps) the late '80s or early '90s. These are the things we argue about endlessly with not all that much data.

The Brit classics magazines used to have fantastically useful articles about the most mundane things. How to clean a carb. How to isolate an electrical problem. Updating this for ADV might be how to add fused circuits to make them always-on or switched-with-ignition.

EDIT: I agree with what people suggest below about used bikes.

I enjoy authors with a sense of humor; those poking a bit of fun at themselves. When an author tells me how wonderful they are I stop reading. When I read about a trip I want the star to be the places and people along the way.

Thanks for asking.

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 03:21 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I like the idea of talking about older dual-sport bikes. Not everyone can afford new or even semi-new. Articles on how to get the best out of machines 20 years old or older would be great. Reports on how bikes have held up after a number of years of real world usage would be interesting.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hot chicks

Hot chicks that can actually ride would be even better
Have you ever SEEN Jamie?????

Valker screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 08:22 PM Reason: Spelling..
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 230
Jamie- Glad you are making another stab at it. Most of us are adept at looking past the ads if they help pay the freight so don't starve your mag trying to avoid ads. Occasionally something useful appears in the ads too.

Some components that many riders/readers would look forward to include:

1. A regular column by a great technical writer with some real expertise (can you clone Kevin Cameron?). someone that can intelligently talk about helicoils and 2-stroke ring seizure and bead locks and engine mapping and radar detectors.

2. A quixotic writer who surprises with every column and approaches the philosophy, insights, motivations, and core appeal of riding. I would love to see an annual column out of the Journal of Motorcycle Studies conference that is held each year, Colorado I think.

3. When you happen across a great story teller or writer on line, consider inviting them to produce a feature article for you to edit and put out there.

4. Tips, tricks and techniques for OR, cook craft, dealimg with jerk car drivers etc are qlways interesting.

5. Consider getting a motorcycle cop to write a short column about living on the other side of the badge. Make it part of his job description and you may find his supervisor makes time for him to keep writing for you (for free too!). I don't know how many bike cops have journalism degrees though.

6. The sport really needs female journalists who can dish it back at the guys. It will take some tough skin.

7. Once per issue give a full length feature article to a great journey, a restoration build or a vintage racer.

8. Nobody in the mainline mags in North America ever mentions MotoGP or WSBK. I would love to see some short articles from interviews with riders or head mechanics.

9. Not for me but a digital tech column on GPS, Web resources, photo and dash cam processing, Trip mapping, SPOT use, and how to merge info digitally-these would qll appeal to a younger audience.

10. Clear info on how to access rental bikes for international travel.

11. A test column on scooters or at least the big hybrid bike/scoots.

12. A build/ rebuild column.

Looking forward to this and be sure to tell us all here how we can subscribe.

Lee

Good luck with the venture and be sure to tell us how
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,400
Here are my first three requests:

1. Convince Yamaha to make the mythical WR450R a reality...

2. Convince Triumph to build the Bonneville SE-R...

3. Write a review of WaterWheel's KLR with embedded compass...

Thanks,

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
tagalong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Most of the things I would like to see in a mag have already been listed, but I would like to give a +1 to seeing some articles on older/vintage ADV bikes. Whether it be a restoration or the writers taking a trip on one.

I would also like to read about builds or trips taken on custom ADV bikes, like you'll find in the "Some Assembly Required" section of this forum.

Lastly, the cover shot. When I was a young, I was given an allowance to buy one magazine a month. Which one I bought was usually decided while I stood in front of the magazine rack in the store. I would look over the mags and picked the one with the best cover that appealed to me. While most of us that will read your mag and already ride this genre of bike will likely be subscribers, I think the cover should appeal to those who had never considered or even heard of adventure motorcycling and seeing your mag at the newsstand will introduce them to it. Give every issue a cover with amazing scenery or a view from someplace that they normally would never be able to see without leaving the tarmac. Something that would make a street only rider or a non-rider take interest in getting involved in our lifestyle.

Thanks for asking, and good luck.
tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,581
One advantage a mag might have is emotional distance. Most posters on ADV know that the way they do things works for them so it must be right. When someone in Florida asks about tents the reply from Arizona is that condensation isn't a problem and modest ventilation works fine.

I prefer reviews that highlight different gear options and the best uses for each. Don't necessarily pick a winner. For tents, self-supporting vs. pegged, vestibule vs. none, etc. For stoves, cannister vs. liquid petrol vs. alcohol. The advantages and disadvantages for each will change with bike size, trip length, % of nights camping vs. hotels, etc. Posts on ADV tend to say "look at mine; it's best" instead of "this works for these conditions".

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #29
buzzardco1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Maybe a readers motorcycle of the month along with the mods that worked and didn't work. Kind of an expanded "This is my bike" like Cycle World currently has. Information on the rider would be of intrest such as occupation,hobbies,best ride,worse ride,etc as most Dual Sport Riders are a somewhat close knit community. I currently live in the Denver area but feel I have friends all across the States that I meet on the trails and at organized events. An events calender similar to the postings like Motorcycle Consumer News would be cool too.
buzzardco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Hi Jamie, I've enjoyed your work for years. Good luck in the new venture.

I would think you have to keep it pretty well rounded in order to capture enough readership and appeal to enough advertisers. That said, adventure and touring covers quite a bit. Touring, sport touring, adventure and dual-sport bikess should be a pretty good cross section of your target audience. I think very few here want to read about cruisers. As someone above said, tour reports in varied areas are great. There is a lot of great riding beyond the US west coast. Combining a tour report and bike / gear reviews in the same article seem like a natural. Including info on lodging and general mapping is also helpful. New product reviews are also appealing.

Again, good luck.