Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
GusinCA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
If Your Bike Falls Down a Cliff, How Do You Get it Back???

So I've been on some nasty single track in my day, and some of this single track has a dropoff on one side such that I call it a "no shit trail" because you are puckered so tight.

My questions is this: If you do make a mistake, and the bike falls down into a ravine, how do you get it back out? Someone told me once that you are required to pay for the government to use a helicopter to get it out. I wonder if this has happened to anyone here...

Just curious...
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
So I've been on some nasty single track in my day, and some of this single track has a dropoff on one side such that I call it a "no shit trail" because you are puckered so tight.

My questions is this: If you do make a mistake, and the bike falls down into a ravine, how do you get it back out? Someone told me once that you are required to pay for the government to use a helicopter to get it out. I wonder if this has happened to anyone here...

Just curious...
You attend a Trials clinic, learn to appreciate steepness, get your ass down the cliff, start your bike, and ride back up said cliff you originally sent the bike down.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:

Just curious...
Strong friends, ropes, and a crapload of beer.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
GusinCA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
You attend a Trials clinic, learn to appreciate steepness, get your ass down the cliff, start your bike, and ride back up said cliff you originally sent the bike down.
Hahaha! Right? I wish. Sometimes I wish they made a street legal trials bike with a big enough tank to go all these places...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Quote:

Just curious...
Winch it back up?

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/XT17_portable.shtml

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I helped recover a V-Storm sidecar rig that went 30 feet down a 45 degree embankment.

Oops,

Clearing brush,

BMW rig with winch,

Ural as an anchor for a rope puller.

Starting the pull, winch doing most of the work, rope puller keeping it going in the right direction.

Made it to the top,

Rider and rig ok,

And best line of the day,
"I have service, should I call AAA?"
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 92
Disassemble Bike, Carry Pieces Up the Hill

Did a quick search and didn't find it - but I remember seeing an amazing story w/ pics here that showed a guy taking his bike apart, hauling the pieces up the hill and then putting it all back together again and riding away!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
My wife went over a 30' cliff once on an old quad I used to have. I was able to find a slightly easier place to ride back up to the trail.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 939
Quote:

Just curious...

I've used a Z Drag system of ropes, prussic and small pulleys to rescue a snowmobile from down in a creek. It's a pretty simple setup assuming you have an anchor point. Web search will come up with lots of info.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
I've never been in that situation myself thankfully but I know one inmate here who told the story of him parking his XR650 waaaay down a steep rocky slope. After all else he had failed he spent a day disassembling the bike into pieces, carrying them up the slope and then reassembling it again!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I helped recover a V-Storm sidecar rig that went 30 feet down a 45 degree embankment.
That's a great "ride report" !
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
That's a great "ride report" !
I read the full ride report story over in the hack section. Sucks that the guys rig went over theedge but all in all a good story.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
GusinCA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well mine is just a little Wr250R and no Ural sidecar, and having a winch onboard seems a bit, well, "heavy"... :)

I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often, given some of the precarious trails I've seen.

There's always this video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUo0qXClw4

And this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXiqgD5EKeA

Both of these guys got so friggin lucky...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288

http://www.pugetsoundsafety.com/main...#cat=23&pid=73

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote