ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #61
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,265
Does anyone know if there is gas in Pioche south of Ely?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #62
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 241
Pioche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Does anyone know if there is gas in Pioche south of Ely?
There is gas in Pioche and south of there in Panaca..
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #63
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Ophir Pass has amazing views on the west side.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #64
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnutt View Post
There is gas in Pioche and south of there in Panaca..
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #65
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual

Oddometer: 39
Thanks Jim for all of the navigational input that you did for the trip. Awsome job,no hang ups and the trip went off without a hitch. (except forthe broken clutch cable prior to the decent of Ophir Pass and the super angry gentleman with the gun!) I had a fun and educational trip. Met some real characters too! Need more pics, especially Ophir Pass showing the rocky section
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Rachael, NV to Lunar Crater on dirt roads

The last time I was in Rachael, NV, Little Alien Inn, I was told there was a dirt road from Rachael to the Lunar Crater to the north/west. We were running low on fuel and I had not planned a route to include this dirt road so we took the pavement to the Lunar Crater.

However, I am very interested to know if any of you have ridden this road. They told us there were four water crossings and that is what I am particularly interested in getting more information about.

Looking on Google Earth, I also noticed the Michael Heizer's Complex City to the n/e of Raechal. I think it is on private property and this artist doesn't seem to want any visitors. I would also like to know if any of you have driven near it and if it can be seen from any vistas in the area. It looks very interesting.

Here is a map of the area:

Here is some of the riding we did north/eash of Rachael on dirt roads:

2on2off screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 06:19 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #67
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
It is interesting to find all this conversation about Ophir Pass now. We are just getting to it in our RR from this year. It was very challenging going east to west. Not something I would suggest to big bike riders. I am sure there will be some pics coming up in the RR. Check my signature for a link.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #68
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I forgot to add that if you look at Google Earth, you can see the snow drift on Ophir Pass covering the road. And the satellite photo was from August 2008. That was kind of scary for me since we were planning to cross it in the second half of June. I didn't bother to burden any of the other riders with this info until we were standing next to the sign. They were already starting to get a bit twitchy whenever I mentioned a "shortcut", "viewpoint" or "little pass". Everything looks so easy on Google Earth...

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #69
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Ophir Pass East to West

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
It is interesting to find all this conversation about Ophir Pass now. We are just getting to it in our RR from this year. It was very challenging going east to west. Not something I would suggest to big bike riders. I am sure there will be some pics coming up in the RR. Check my signature for a link.
It was hard for me to find much information about riding Ophir Pass in Nevada. Few videos on Youtube. I found lots of info on Ophir Pass in Colorado.

I'd like someone to shoot a video riding up and over the Pass past the snow drift and especially riding through that rocky steep section just north of the snow drift. That was the most difficult part for us riding it west to east on our 1989 R100GS Airheads. We just barely were able to ride it going down hill on those big bikes and took only a few pictures.

Next trip I plan to take the KTM's and attempt the pass east to west. At least now I know where the difficult sections are.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #70
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Toiyabe National Forest Road Closures

I planning a ride to Nevada in a few weeks and much of the great riding I have done in Nevada so far is in the Toiyabe National Forest.

I would appreciate it if someone who lives in Nevada could let me know if any or all of the dirt roads in the Toiyabe National Forest between Tonopah and Austin are open or closed because of the Government shut down.

This shut down is creating a real problem for those of us who enjoy riding on these lands. It is getting more difficult to create a route when considering what is open and what is closed.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #71
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I don't have any current info on roads and trails in the Toyabe NF. But I have been riding all week in the Humboldt NF. No closures or any impact that I could see there.

FWIW
Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #72
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I don't have any current info on roads and trails in the Toyabe NF. But I have been riding all week in the Humboldt NF. No closures or any impact that I could see there.

FWIW
Thanks for this information. So far, there are no reported dirt road closures in the National Parks and Forests of Nevada from those who have actually been there. This is good news so far.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #73
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
It would be a real shame not having the Forest Service, Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service and BLM interpreting the country for us and keeping us off the good trails.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #74
kkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
There is always a way around any gate. Screw em. Time for the cutting torch.
Kevin
2006 KTM 525EXC
2004 KTM 525EXC
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Thanks for this information. So far, there are no reported dirt road closures in the National Parks and Forests of Nevada from those who have actually been there. This is good news so far.
I took a ride through Stanislaus forest today. At first all was good, the roads were open as was some of the campgrounds. Checking at the campgrounds I found they were notified yesterday they are to close by 10/6. I am wondering if the road closure comes after they are satisfied that the campers left. It is deer season too, can't forget them.

Nobody knows anything. There is no info on their website nor even a recording of intentions on their phones.

I assume what orders have been given to one district applies to all. They made no effort to inform the public.

I would not ride around a gate, but so much of it is un gated. I have no problem riding that, since they have made no effort to tell me I can't.

I know that you want to ride Silver Canyon. I am not so sure that is not a County road. I would check with Inyo Co. Public Works. Does the forest service have authority to close a County road because it goes through the National Forest?

I will find out pretty soon, as I have a county road doing that within 2 miles of my house. It has a gate but I never seen it closed.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 08:37 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote