Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #46
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Oddometer: 22
I uploaded it from the Tablet, so i sued a youtube app, not the website. it came uploaded in weird settings, I fixed it now.

Its shaky..
JoelScootDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

managed to climb Clingmans dome....at 30mph or so.

And now into blue ridge parkway. I'm sorry i dont post pictures much here, i'm relying on other people to send me the img source code and a android tablet to do the work. but you go to facebook you can follow daily updates, and my website has more in detail reviews and pictures. if anyone wants to rightclikc the img on my site and use the code and post it here, its cool.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #48
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Per JoelScootDude Facebook Blog, appears he experienced some type of scooter mishap after departing Niagara Falls . . but details are not presently posted.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #49
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
As far as the "fake" thing, I have found, as I'm sure others have, that some forum members will quote you out of context from other forums, and/or change things you said. I have several different user names for different forums. I should have used a different name and location for every singe forum. But on the other hand,I don't have anything to hide, and while many do not like my opinions, I am at least honest about it. If someone wants to take something I posted somewhere else and twist it around to have some kind of sick fun, there really isn't much you can do about it. If someone accuses you of something, and their information comes from another forum, I automatically assume it is fake unless there is actual proof. And that can be hard to do on the internet.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #50
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Per JoelScootDude Facebook Blog, appears he experienced some type of scooter mishap after departing Niagara Falls . . but details are not presently posted.
An explanation . . "doing more than 75 and crashed into a fully stopped car"
Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
An explanation . . "doing more than 75 and crashed into a fully stopped car"
Crash pictures on his facebook looks like he tipped over at slow speed and broke the front fender off and took a stupid picture of himself laying on the road. At 75mph nothing would be left of that scooter.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
Hmm. Interesting. In his OP he says 55 mph. Which is about the top speed of a Fly 150. But nobody walks away from a dead on collision with an SUV at 55 mph, even if they somehow managed to survive, which is unlikely at that speed on a scooter. Says the SUV was unharmed, which is also impossible, as is the scooter still being rideable.

Then he says he had several wrist and ankle fractures, but kept on riding, didn't even go to the doctor, because.....

"Why did I continue, while injured? Well you see, my friend James, he once posted about riding 420 miles in one day, so I wanted to beat him. That day I rode for 14.5 Hours, and 602 miles in one day"

I got sideswiped on a moped (doing 30 mph) by a Suburban, and was in the hospital for a week, off work for 2 months, and on light duty for another month. That was 10 years ago, and some of the injuries are still there.

I have ridden 400 miles in one day on a Vino 125, it took about 15 hours, though with quite a few stops. But I was not injured, and no way are you going to do over 600 miles in one day on a 150.

I have had my Vino 125 for almost 5 years, and thought I was doing good by putting 25,000 miles on it (I do have other bikes) during all that time. 21,000 in one year? You would have to practically live on the thing.

The more I read, the more inconsistencies I find. There are a lot of issues with his posts and his blog, some of them to blatant to simply be mistakes, though they could be exaggerations. Maybe he wanted to spice up the story a bit. It doesn't mean he hasn't ridden all over on a scooter, but some of the stuff in there is not just unlikely, it is impossible.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #53
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Per 06/09/2013 blog posting:

"So I decided to change the settings on my GPS. But because I've done it so
many times on my trip, I felt too confident and comfortable. This is a
problem that all riders have. Confidence make you oblivious to dangers. And
so it happened.

While I spend a mere 5 seconds changing the settings on the GPS, a car had
stopped completely in front of me. By the time I looked up, it was maybe 8
feet in front of me. First response was to press the brakes, but to no
avail. I was too fast, too close, the road was dirty, with gravel, uneven
and cracks in it. Combination of all of these made me not slow down at all.
I hit the car. Next thing I knew, my body hit the roof of the car. Then the
scooter leaned forward causing my legs to be catapulted over. I kept on
tumbling around ,eventually falling to the road."
Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #54
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
I wish him well and a quick bounce-back.

That said...that kind of thing I could see happening from the first day I put a GPS on my scoot. I can barely READ it in sunlight, much less SET it. Stop, shade it; set it, figure out the first couple turns...and roll on.

Like using a cellphone: In a car, you can do it. Not on a cycle.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #55
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Hmm. Interesting. In his OP he says 55 mph. Which is about the top speed of a Fly 150. But nobody walks away from a dead on collision with an SUV at 55 mph, even if they somehow managed to survive, which is unlikely at that speed on a scooter. Says the SUV was unharmed, which is also impossible, as is the scooter still being rideable.

Then he says he had several wrist and ankle fractures, but kept on riding, didn't even go to the doctor, because.....

"Why did I continue, while injured? Well you see, my friend James, he once posted about riding 420 miles in one day, so I wanted to beat him. That day I rode for 14.5 Hours, and 602 miles in one day"

I got sideswiped on a moped (doing 30 mph) by a Suburban, and was in the hospital for a week, off work for 2 months, and on light duty for another month. That was 10 years ago, and some of the injuries are still there.

I have ridden 400 miles in one day on a Vino 125, it took about 15 hours, though with quite a few stops. But I was not injured, and no way are you going to do over 600 miles in one day on a 150.

I have had my Vino 125 for almost 5 years, and thought I was doing good by putting 25,000 miles on it (I do have other bikes) during all that time. 21,000 in one year? You would have to practically live on the thing.

The more I read, the more inconsistencies I find. There are a lot of issues with his posts and his blog, some of them to blatant to simply be mistakes, though they could be exaggerations. Maybe he wanted to spice up the story a bit. It doesn't mean he hasn't ridden all over on a scooter, but some of the stuff in there is not just unlikely, it is impossible.

What this guy is up to is nothing more than pure fabrication; like he's living in a fantasy world. I have no argument with him if that's what he wants to do but what I don't like is seeing people get sucked into believing him. This forum is replete with genuine adventure riders who really live the life and ride for real. For him to post his imaginary adventures feels much the same as some kid who wears military medals and poses as a veteran. Doing so is an insult to the real riders and that's what pisses me off about him.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #56
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,919
Looks real to me. Checked his FB page and it would be tough to fake all that. Not impossible but tough.

Joel- sorry about the crash. Good luck on the rest of the trip. I'll sell you my Sport City 250 here in NC, then you can get back to your trip!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #57
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Idgas.
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #58
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
Idgas.
True, but it's funny to watch the internet girlfight amongst the scooterists.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #59
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

I'm sorry to everyone I left hanging. I had some issues when i came back with bills and other non-scooter related things and since then I decided to put the scooter life in the backburner and just re-group and shit. I didnt check this site, but didnt think people would be so dedicated to being keyboard warriors and run rumors for no reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

About the miles: consider that I traveled from Orlando to wisconsin and back, from orlando to Key west, orlando to atlanta, orlando to pensacola, and I dirve on average 60-80 miles a day, and almost 100 on school days for 1 semester. then add from Orlando across the Appalachian mountains, to DC, to philly, across upper state newyork to niagara falls. that adds up to 25,000.

This all happened 2012 NOT this year.The following pargraph explains the acident in 2012, not the accident related to the trip \ upon which this thread is based on

1)To clarify: I asume the speed was 55, since I was doing much faster in the highway, say 60+ but i had some distance to slide until I collided: say 50ft? therefore the assumed speed was 55mph.

2) I did collide with a SUV. a small one. A Jeep of some sort, i dont the models well but it was a SUV not the "jeep" offroad vehicle we all know.

3) the SUV was moving, say 15mph? it was a dead highway jam, and they ( the cars) where making their way to the exit.

4) because I switched lanes, I did not see the cars at such a slow peed ( almost stopped~10-15mph) until I switched entirely.

5) i tried to stop but slid. This is because there was oil in the road. perhaps a old car overheated or something while waiting on that very same lane. I only confirmed this after I fell and people asked me if my scooter was OK since it was covered in oil striped and sprayed droplets all over the fairings. This came from the tire spraying it up.

6) the collision was from say 55 to 15=40mph. "Nobody walks away..." every acident is different. You can walk away from a 55mph collision, you can slipwalking at 1mph hit your head on a pipe and die.

7) i flew over the handlebars to the left of the scooter. This caused the steering column to rotate/ become crooked to the left. When i landed with my hands first, then continued to rotate. At this time the impact I believe caused a fracture on my left wrist, because it swelled quite a bit, it hurt like hell to squeeze the grip and brake on the scooter, and it continued to hurt all the way til I got home. I had limited mobility and felt stabbing pain from the inside. It wasnt until I got x-rays on my foot that it occurred to me that I Also may have fractures on my hand/wrist.. However I dont believe anything broke loose, it may have been stress fractures.

8) At this time, I did not wear boots to ride. It never occurred to me and I considered them an excessive gear. as I fell the first thing that happened was that my right shoe flew off. as I continued to spin, i believe the spin caused my ankle to hit the road with the rotational force of my body. this caused impact fractures. When i got back home, I stopped by the CentraCare and the x-ray technician, the doctor on duty, and the Podiatrist agreed I had fractures. 6 to be exact. They where all cracks, and since nothing came loose/separated, there was no need for surgery. they said if something did came loose I would not be able to walk from the accident.

the cars stopped and people took myscooter to the side. the lady said her car was fine. when you consider the scooter beign lightweight, and only the tire hit her car, is understandable there was no damage. Maybe a rubber rub in the bumper but she did not care, and neither did I.

At the moment the ankle looked swollen, like a balloon. I figured it was sprained, since I have had sprained ankles before. I decided not to "use" that foot, and continue anyways. so I did.

Unfortunately, there was still massive traffic jam and I did not have a smartphone. it occurred to me that 575 was a loop around atlanta, and if I joined 575, it could lead me further ahead of the jam. My mistake, if you look where 575 goes, it goes to nowhere. I got lost for the most part, and into the night. I eventually arrived at Tennessee that day With the de-tour it turned out to be 603 miles. I took off at 6:30 am and stopped around 10:30. Only stopped for food and fuel.

I have pictures of all of this, along with pictures of injuries ( when i rotated i also disintegrated my jeans and most of my knees), pictures of my ankle as it got swollen, and other things. Unfortunately they are in my home on the old computer, so I can post them tonight, say, after 10pm.

Here are some not so high def from my website.

Also i'm on this video, when I had the accident going to this event "Amerivespa" @ 16:30. if you look carefully you can see the bandages on my knees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ1sOQbmF8Y

JoelScootDude screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 01:05 PM
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #60
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Doing so is an insult to the real riders and that's what pisses me off about him.

LL75
This is America, believe whatever you want and no one gives cares what you think. those that want to listen and read about it, can. If you want to plug your ears and mouth, be my guest :)

JoelScootDude screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 03:08 PM