User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
I lost a lot of travel time toggling and fidgeting around with the GPS that I could have spent covering miles by intuition, paper map and dead reckoning, so I am still contemplating its worthfulness .

I may do better without dependency on the GPS and just go back to the ol intuition and just leave it on the dash anyway to reconcile with the map

sort of like how you see everyone connected to a smartphone now like an umbillical cord lifeline they cannot live without,
for instance they may want to find a restaurant, so they ask the smart phone GPS, it tells them where to go and they get the google feed answer sending then to the nearest Mc Donalds. If they were to trust intuition they may have found something really good and different like Reds Giant Burger instead
the technology is great but it causes other issues
people now spend a good portion of their lives connected to these devices staring at the mother screen and miss out on a larger part of living
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,694
yes R&R will work just fine on a 60. i have it on mine plus another unit.
R&R is not locked and thus you can use it on multiple units.

copy the whole installer file to your harddrive and install from there or it will keep asking for the CD when you add map tiles to your unit.

trip and waypoint manager updates to mapsource and to it's final update of mapsource. that is not a locked program either. after you install mapsource then you install maps such as R&R and City Nav. If you also install Basecamp they are in seen in their too.

Win 8 should automatically detect the 60 and provide the necessary drivers.
older windows need these drivers installed 1st before plugging in the GPS to the computer. http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=591
Mapsource runs just fine on Win 8.

after you have all your basemaps (R&R, City Nav, free ones etc.) installed into Mapsource then select the tiles (areas you want on the GPS unit) you want from each then you would transfer those over to the SD card in the 60. put the 60 in card mode so the transfer goes much faster. once the transfer is complete, disconnect the unit and restart it. You know have those maps available to you and you can transfer between viewing the one you want to see.

If you make changes by adding more tiles it overwrites the whole map file so plan on selecting all the old ones plus the new ones you want and do another map transfer. Plan ahead. I use a 2gb card and that is plenty to hit the 2015 tile limit for a 60. R&R uses alot of small tiles, where as City Nav uses much larger ones. There is also a fake out where you can slightly remain the gpsmap file and have 2 or more and cover more area with just 1 SD card. The 60 will handle 4 & 8 gb card and maybe even larger.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,694
i find a GPS a vital routing tool and would have lost a ton of time and possibly worse running out of gas with out it in the field.
i plan rides and then properly execute them. i follows others rides by uploading .gpx files. i track where i've been. i easily get back home when i'm lost and exploring. my 60 does at that for me. i'm in the biz of making printed maps and still use a GPS all the time. we all do in the company. that's efficient routing.

the 60 does a lot of thing plus GPS routing & use requires alot of study and practice to do it right. all said you need to invest time in what you have before it pays you back. you can't be lazy about it and expect it to work. sit down with the unit and go through every option and feature. read some books on how GPS technology works too. you're not the 1st person who has been frustrated by these unit. they are not built for dummies like the Nuvis are. they are powerful machines that take time to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
I lost a lot of travel time toggling and fidgeting around with the GPS that I could have spent covering miles by intuition, paper map and dead reckoning, so I am still contemplating its worthfulness .

I may do better without dependency on the GPS and just go back to the ol intuition and just leave it on the dash anyway to reconcile with the map

sort of like how you see everyone connected to a smartphone now like an umbillical cord lifeline they cannot live without,
for instance they may want to find a restaurant, so they ask the smart phone GPS, it tells them where to go and they get the google feed answer sending then to the nearest Mc Donalds. If they were to trust intuition they may have found something really good and different like Reds Giant Burger instead
the technology is great but it causes other issues
people now spend a good portion of their lives connected to these devices staring at the mother screen and miss out on a larger part of living
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
yes R&R will work just fine on a 60. i have it on mine plus another unit.
R&R is not locked and thus you can use it on multiple units.

copy the whole installer file to your harddrive and install from there or it will keep asking for the CD when you add map tiles to your unit.

trip and waypoint manager updates to mapsource and to it's final update of mapsource. that is not a locked program either. after you install mapsource then you install maps such as R&R and City Nav. If you also install Basecamp they are in seen in their too.

Win 8 should automatically detect the 60 and provide the necessary drivers.
older windows need these drivers installed 1st before plugging in the GPS to the computer. http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=591
Mapsource runs just fine on Win 8.

after you have all your basemaps (R&R, City Nav, free ones etc.) installed into Mapsource then select the tiles (areas you want on the GPS unit) you want from each then you would transfer those over to the SD card in the 60. put the 60 in card mode so the transfer goes much faster. once the transfer is complete, disconnect the unit and restart it. You know have those maps available to you and you can transfer between viewing the one you want to see.

If you make changes by adding more tiles it overwrites the whole map file so plan on selecting all the old ones plus the new ones you want and do another map transfer. Plan ahead. I use a 2gb card and that is plenty to hit the 2015 tile limit for a 60. R&R uses alot of small tiles, where as City Nav uses much larger ones. There is also a fake out where you can slightly remain the gpsmap file and have 2 or more and cover more area with just 1 SD card. The 60 will handle 4 & 8 gb card and maybe even larger.
wow good stuff but now I am really confused
this is all way over my head
I dont have the first clue on how to "copy the entire installer file to hard drive" much less what a "map tile is" I scrolled around the R&R maps on the laptop and can find no defined tiles , its just a big map of the US that I can zoom in on
really wish I could figure this out
to get the R&R cd to run I need to unistall the mapsource version each time and then insert the CD or it will do nothing . If I click on the desktop mapsource icon it just gives an error message that says to call Garmin
I have installed the City Nav CD and unlock codes so maybe there is a conflict there
I tried running the R&R cd and putting an 8gb into the laptop slot , then went to "file" and selected MicroCD card , but nothing happened from there and I was stuck, so I went to "safe to remove SD card" and quit
I havent tried running the R&R CD then putting the new 8gb card in the 60 and then connecting it yet , afraid to fry something
I am way behind when it comes to this technology

thanks for trying to help !!! I feel like a retard

one clue may be that after hitting run it asks to connect the GPS to check for if it needs upgrades and I havent done that yet
afraid to gum it up and fry what I have working now
I suppose it would be wise to remove the City Nav card and install the blank before trying that

Dustodust screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 01:34 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes I agree you are totally right on with that.
having it on the last trip, ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873682 ) did open up a whole new world , however , maybe not being familiar with it made it seem like trying to navigate through a small window , I still needed a paper map for the big picture.
What was really nice was that it eliminated doubt in many cases like a fork in the road . I could tell if something was a dead end

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i find a GPS a vital routing tool and would have lost a ton of time and possibly worse running out of gas with out it in the field.
i plan rides and then properly execute them. i follows others rides by uploading .gpx files. i track where i've been. i easily get back home when i'm lost and exploring. my 60 does at that for me. i'm in the biz of making printed maps and still use a GPS all the time. we all do in the company. that's efficient routing.

the 60 does a lot of thing plus GPS routing & use requires alot of study and practice to do it right. all said you need to invest time in what you have before it pays you back. you can't be lazy about it and expect it to work. sit down with the unit and go through every option and feature. read some books on how GPS technology works too. you're not the 1st person who has been frustrated by these unit. they are not built for dummies like the Nuvis are. they are powerful machines that take time to learn.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Can I just put the CD in my computer
install the new 8GB card in the 60
plug 60 in with the USB cord
download roads and recs ?
will obvious prompts just pop up then to make it happen ?

just looking at the R&R on the laptop there are no segments showing to even select

any help would be appreciated
I am afraid something will lock up

thanks for bearing with this computer challenged luddite
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

well that settles that question
tried it every way and it didn't work
just says can't find com port
when I turn on GPS it makes the tone but auto detect cant even find it through the mapsource with the R&R CD running
waste of half a day on that project
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok now everything is completely screwed
City Nav will no longer run on my computer
I tried repair but it works on time and now wont run again
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

uninstalled Garmin City Nav and reinstalled and it works again .
put city nav card back in gps and it works normal

It would be nice to try the Roads and Recreation looks like it shows way more detail
cant figure out why more detail shows up on the gps when in a certain area , then appears on the laptopcomputer city nav running the CD
none of this seems logical

maybe if I uninstall City Nav and then try R&R ?

read the manual for Map Source that came with R&R and there is nothing about conflict with City Nav of course

this whole thing doesnt make sense
read the manuals over and over
seems like I could just load the R&R into the computer, connect to the 60 CSX with the new 8GB card installed and something will happen

but no

everything just seems to crash
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

well that was a horrifying waste of a day

why is it that when I put in the city nav cd I get a window that asks if I want to install or view files
If I click install it just sends me back to install it all again
ughhh
if I click view files I cant find maps

if I go to the start menu there is a mapsource icon but when I click on it it says access denied

this really sucks
no fun at all
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

so when I put in the City Nav CD it spins in the tray but nothing is visible now

why would that be

why doesnt it just open up
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #27
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

anyone have any ideas why I have to enter unlock codes each time I install the City Nav Disk ?
any ideas why, even after uninstalling all and starting over with a new sd card in GPS with new USB cord that came in box, it wont find the USB port for the GPS even with Roads and Rec disk running ?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 551
PM Sent

An unhelpful PM with a question sent your way from a ham-fisted technoneanderthal.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Drivers for the 60 can be found at the GARMIN site. Don't know if they'd have the ones for Win 8 there yet though.

Roads and Recs appears to be much, MUCH better at backroads details. No lock codes either.
It may be the lock codes from City Nav that have my computer interface jacked up. I probably would have been OK if I had never installed the City Nav .
I went to the Garmin site and it linked right up to my unit and read me the serial number and told me it has all the updates, so evidently the City Nav has F-ed up my registry to block the link to my COM port in order to protect its precious intellectual property, even though I have the "Unlock Codes" .
I am thinking that Garmin is in cahoots with the environmentalists to "lose" the backroads in order to limit travel. They are probably doing all they can to erase backroads details from the public record
Evidence for this is that Garmin is no longer putting back roads or off road routes in detail on their newest maps.
This is not total unfounded conspiracy theory, it is rather common for corporations to "go green"
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
An unhelpful PM with a question sent your way from a ham-fisted technoneanderthal.
answered best I could