Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Super38ACP OP
Dammit Jim

Oddometer: 197
Motorcycle Trailers - RampFree (Razor/Baxley) vs Kendon vs Utility Trailer

Good Morning.

First off I've spent a good bit of time reading the relevant trailer threads I'm looking for any updated information as well as specifics on Kendon vs The Baxley type trailers in particular.

I am not considering the Harbor Freight trailer or Trailer In A Bag type product. Riding the bike to the location is not an option for this trip.

I'll lay out the pros and cons as I see them and someone please let me know if there are holes in my logic.

Kendon

Kendon Single Ride Up

Pros
  • Lightest
  • Possibly the easiest to use?
  • Likely to be the best finished.
  • Likely to retain value the best.
  • Reported to tow very well.
  • Can store inside folded. (wheels for inside storage included)

Cons
  • Most expensive (with possible exception of Baxley) even with a discount dealer.
  • Have to buy to see.

I would either equip it with a spare and folding crank down jack or buy the LE which includes those options and others.

I believe some changes were made in 2013 or 2014 to the rail and chock system?

Baxley design trailers:

I'm going to lump them all together, I would probably buy the RampFree though.

Baxley SB001 Trailer

RampFree Single Trailer

Razor Single Trailer

Pros:
  • Ground loading (no concern about ramp angle).
  • Very easy to operate.
  • RampFree offers caster kit to facilatate indoor storage.
  • RampFree and Razor are reasonably priced.

Cons:
  • Heavier by about 100lbs.
  • Have only seen RampFree finish seems industrial.
  • Baxley cost as much or more than Kendon.
  • Requires manual cranking to load and unload.
  • Pinning arraingement between deck and frame may make for noisier than average towing?
  • Has to be uncoupled to load and unload.

Utility Trailer with Condor or Baxley Chock (Aluma can fit in this category reduces weight, adds cost)

Example

Big Tex 15LT

Pros:
  • Cheapest even after buying a chock
  • Can be more readily used for other things
  • Depending on model could possibly be adapted to carry 2 MC if needed.

Cons:
  • Heaviest.
  • Will have to be stored outside.
  • Likey to be worth a small percentage of its original cost if wanting to upgrade in 5-6 years.
  • Ramp breakover angle and more difficulty loading.
  • Will have to be modified to suit motorcycles.
  • MC is too long for cheapest 4x6 models at HD/TSC/Lowes.

Super38ACP screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 07:19 AM
Super38ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Thumb Kendon

Loved mine, often sorry I sold it!

I've gone to a 20' +- toy hauler.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
What is it you're hauling? Breakover angle, etc, has never been a problem for me but all I've had are off-road/dual-sport MCs.

I've been very happy with my 4x8ft utility trailer. I've had 3 dirt bikes on it at a time, I've moved all kinds of 'stuff' with it, and it's cheap to buy and own. The only advantage one of the others would have (for my uses) is being able to fold and store vertically. I'd have a hard time spending the extra coin for the others unless you're seriously limited on outdoor storage.
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Super38ACP OP
Dammit Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32x20 View Post
What is it you're hauling? Breakover angle, etc, has never been a problem for me but all I've had are off-road/dual-sport MCs.
It is a Harley Softail. Breakover angle might be an issue since it is comparatively long and low. I'll have to try it.

It will also likely be MrsACP hauling it on a trip using a fairly small car with a Class I hitch so being lower and lighter is an advantage in this situation.

I would really like stay under 2/3 of the Class I rating for towed weight.

But I am particularly interested in folks that have used Kendon or Baxley style trailers. Even more so folks that have used both.

Super38ACP screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 08:52 AM
Old 01-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,605
Still happy with mine - it gets lots of use.

More pics here.

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
BvilleBud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Your $$ your choice. I have a utility trailer with a Condor and some bolts embeded into the deck & I love mine.

I use it all the time, mostly for non motorcycle stuff.

Resale? I only paid a few hundred (600?) for the utility trailer (Tractor Supply), I have had it for many years, I'm sure I could get 300-400 for it now. Could you find a local buyer for a cycle specific trailer? Maybe so I'm not sure, but in my neighborhood used trailers are not a real investment.

I can throw many bikes and a ton of extra stuff on the utility trailer. My BIL has one of the fancy cycle trailers, good for him, but he can't load it up with much.

Buy the one that you like the most & be happy!
BvilleBud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
I have a two bike Kendon standup trailer which is the second generation variant which came out in 2004 or so. Seems to me I paid about 2 grand for it back then. That is expensive though cheaper than most enclosed trailers.

The best thing I did was get the two bike version as invariably I have a buddy who wants to tag along on rides out of a base camp in Death Valley or to save some time (for employed folks) getting to the Canadian border for an Alaska tour launch.

Over the years I added a third center rail although I can tow my Wing on a outside rail by itself with no stability concerns. The center rail does reduce flotsam that makes its way to the bike though and I believe may give a touch more MPG. I also fooled with a stand jack in the front as well as a separate stand but I found that they were unnecessary and just added to the clean and jerk requirements when I was "standing" the trailer up by myself.

My Kendon can handle up to 2,000lbs. I agree with some sentiment (security and a clean bike) that an enclosed trailer is best except for one small point, 98 percent of the time the trailer sits at home and sucks up space. Because of this I bought the open standup trailer, which mostly sits/stands upright in the garage till those special occasions. The trailer rides level (torsion bar suspension) and smoothly regardless of where the load Goldwing is (right or left) although I use the center rail now if doing a solo bike tow.

The Kendon has performed flawlessly. In my travels I have seen quite a few jury rig trailer setups with one wheel off. I went for the higher price spread for reliability, load capacity and ease in storage. So far so good!

I have a full size Chevy with extended cab and a 6.5 foot bed and a 5.3 V8. On a freeway trip I got about 17-20 MPG at modest speeds with my VFR in the back. I usually get about 1-2 mpg less when towing the trailer. The trailer is very stable.

Every MC guy needs a truck and or a trailer although on most tours I just use the Bike.

Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
Super38ACP OP
Dammit Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
Loved mine, often sorry I sold it!

LOL I just saw your post on Thinc2's thread and was about to send you a PM "still got that trailer?" Then I saw it was you and I was like "Drat"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Still happy with mine - it gets lots of use.

More pics here.
Thanks, always good to hear from someone with recent product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvilleBud View Post
Your $$ your choice. I have a utility trailer with a Condor and some bolts embeded into the deck & I love mine.

I use it all the time, mostly for non motorcycle stuff.
I don't suppose you have put a fairly low cruiser type motorcycle on it? I'm really pretty concerned that the breakover is going to be an issue, but I'm not sure how well founded it is.

Quote:
Resale? I only paid a few hundred (600?) for the utility trailer (Tractor Supply), I have had it for many years, I'm sure I could get 300-400 for it now. Could you find a local buyer for a cycle specific trailer? Maybe so I'm not sure, but in my neighborhood used trailers are not a real investment.
I can't use the cheapest 4x6 because the gate will hit the fender, also the expanded metal floor isn't ideal. I'd rather not use a 5x8 because it is much wider than the tow vehicle. There are a few 4x8 wood floor trailers out there but they aren't 499 Lowes specials. I think Tractor Supply sells one that is like 699 and there are some 2013 model Big Tex out there in that price range but lord knows what they actually look like after sitting in stock for a over a year...

I'm reasonably sure I could sell a Kendon pretty fast and one of the local dealers might trade it in, used cheap utility trailers are nearly a throwaway item around here, I'd get more for it by weight at the recycler probably.

Quote:
I can throw many bikes and a ton of extra stuff on the utility trailer. My BIL has one of the fancy cycle trailers, good for him, but he can't load it up with much.
I've got a truck for local use, though I could still use a utility trailer for some stuff.

Quote:
Buy the one that you like the most & be happy!
What I'd really like is a Kendon Dual Rail Ride Up LE with a center rail added (and a new truck to pull it), but that is not in the cards right now.

I guess the fact that there are a ton of Kendon Post here and nearly no Razor/Baxley/RampFree post should tell me something.

For additional clarity these are the two motorcycle specific trailers I'm looking at:

http://youtu.be/dzMSWSz748Q

http://youtu.be/E_5G7qp02Ds

Also this one is about the same money as a RampFree locally.

http://youtu.be/ea0zRwdHEhY

Super38ACP screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 06:16 PM
Old 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
Eric1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I purchased a Kendon single bike trailer used, it was previously used for a Goldwing and a Harley. It was well made, had held up well and did everything I needed hauling my Triumph's and a dirt bike. I reluctantly sold it because I needed a utility trailer, I could justify a enclosed unit.

I towed the Kendon with a Subaru Outback 3.6 and a Jeep Wrangler, both worked well, the gas mileage suffered on both.
Eric1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Super38ACP OP
Dammit Jim

Thanks Eric and TwoHondas!

RampFree/Baxley/Razor guys still at zero
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Super38ACP I looked at the new "Ride Up" retrofit to my two rail Kendon but frankly the load height for the existing setup is just fine for me. I can and do load the motorcycles by myself although a tender is always good idea. About the only accessory I would add to my setup is the new longer & wider "deluxe" loading ramp.

Typically just like a pickup load I put the wheels of the trailer in the gutter and it is almost a level shot to the chocks.

I originally bought the trailer to sustain marital bliss by not riding the Wing with my bride in the summer through the CA & AZ deserts on the way to NPs such as Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. It was all good!

Then I started taking my KLR to a desert base camp in the winter. This was an unanticipated benefit of the trailer.

One thing to note the afore mentioned very low riding height is NOT a benefit if you driving deep down a rutted dirt road to a remote campsite.

Twohondas screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 07:15 PM
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,913
Whats your reasoning for not wanting\liking a trailer in a bag?

It's fairly low, depending on the bike I sometimes don't need the ramp to get it on the bike and with most bikes I rarely use the ramp to take them off. Whether I ride them on\off or not.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
BvilleBud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super38ACP View Post
I don't suppose you have put a fairly low cruiser type motorcycle on it? I'm really pretty concerned that the breakover is going to be an issue, but I'm not sure how well founded it is.
Yes, I put my Kawi 1600 Classic and my cousin's Harley on it all the time. No issues.
BvilleBud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #14
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
I was thinking of getting a Jumping Jack Trailer.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

Of course I'd have to get a smaller bike for the top! (double bonus).
Matt fe2o3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #15
Super38ACP OP
Dammit Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Super38ACP I looked at the new "Ride Up" retrofit to my two rail Kendon but frankly the load height for the existing setup is just fine for me. I can and do load the motorcycles by myself although a tender is always good idea. About the only accessory I would add to my setup is the new longer & wider "deluxe" loading ramp...
That is helpful information.

The one advantage I envision with the single rail is that it eliminates the "boat tail" on the single, with a non ride up single there is no place to put your feet if you want to ride it up.

The primary reason for buying a trailer now is that MrsACP wants to take her bike with her on a trip, it is unlikely I will be available to go. She's very capable, but the simple physics of it is that her size precludes her doing it in the same manner as I could.

Quote:
Yes, I put my Kawi 1600 Classic and my cousin's Harley on it all the time. No issues.
That is helpful as well, I need to see if I can talk someone into letting me try this at TSC. The last bike I remember putting on a utility trailer was my RC51 and I recall we had some issues with the rear of the fairing on the ramp, but it was also a larger trailer than I'm talking about. Perhaps this isn't the issue I think it is.