User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 948
Questions about the Klim Element Long gloves

Looking pretty hard at the Klim Element Long gloves, supposed to be waterproof, protective, and comfortable for long-distance touring. Anybody here have experience with this particular model? Would you recommend them?

I also have the Klim Latitude jacket. If you have this jacket as well, are you the gloves wearable both over and under the sleeve? The Latitude sleeve seems a little longer than normal, and wasn't sure if this caused any problems.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I have these gloves and the Latitude Misano jacket. Both size small but the jacket is still roomy on me and the sleeves come down almost to my knuckles. I adjusted the glove Velcro gauntlet once and now just squeeze my hand a bit to put it on. With the jacket Velcro opened or just barely attached, the gauntlet fits easily into the sleeve and then wrap the sleeve Velcro around tightly. If you have beefy man wrists, YMMV . I always wear gloves under the sleeve so never have tried over the sleeve.

These are the only gloves I use, whether street dual-sport or off road, as I swear every time I fall my hand is involved somehow. I haven't ever had a high speed off with them (thankfully!) but they've protected in the low speed 15-20 mph offs I've had in the dirt. They show no damage and neither do my hands/wrists.

I like the knuckle protection but wish it were black and not so blingy as the titanium is. Oh, and they're pretty light too for armored gloves.

They've been completely waterproof in monsoon rains that I've been in. They're hot when it's 95 out but what isn't? Last week during a ride I was working hard on a trail when it was maybe 70 degrees and 30-40% humidity (*very high for here!) and they got hot and sweaty. Meh, I'll take hot and sweaty to get the protection.

The little squeegee works pretty well on my shield and goggles, too.

HTH
08 Beta Rev3 125
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
MilSpecXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I've got these gloves and recently had an opportunity to use them on a 500 mile ride. They offer great protection and are relatively lightweight. No issues riding in the heat with the gortex leather.

I experienced an issue with the glove rubbing against the webbing in between my pinky and ring finger on my left hand. Everytime I would grab the clutch I felt the rubbing, until it got to the point that it was painful. I contacted KlIM this week via email and they asked me a few questions, and then requested I send them in for warranty review (paid for shipping out of pocket). I've never had any issues with gloves before so I'm hoping it was just bad luck with the way this particular glove was constructed.

Customer service rep was very responsive and super nice. I should know next week on what they decide to do.
MilSpecXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Both of your in-depth reviews are much appreciated, sounds like a good glove overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post

I like the knuckle protection but wish it were black and not so blingy as the titanium is. Oh, and they're pretty light too for armored gloves.
I'm not into the bling. If I get these, I'll figure out a bling smackdown using something like a black Sharpie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSpecXC View Post

Customer service rep was very responsive and super nice. I should know next week on what they decide to do.
I hear their customer service is pretty good. Let us know how this ends up.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I could not get them on wearing my badlands jacket let alone under or over the cuffs. Ended up buying the short cuff gloves which I really wanted anyways as I use the jacket cuff as ventilation.

The Latitude jacket has a more cuff room so the long would prolly be good to go.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I bought some originally, but had such a bear of a time putting them under my Latitude cuffs. It would get old real quick if you're stopping for fuel or pictures multiple times a day. I sent them back and bought the short cuff version and glad I did. I also don't wear gauntlet gloves over my sleeve cuffs so not sure if they'd fit over them. I wore them for an 8,000mi trip up to the Arctic Circle and back and they remained 100% waterproof through 6 straight days of rain and a day of snow and sleet. They were too warm for me over 80F but my fingers did get real cold when temps got below 50F. What I didn't like about them was the goretex liner would try to pull out if you tried to take them off after your hands were sweaty or wet. I got rid of them because of that. Oh yeah, the finger squeegee is probably the best I've ever used.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
I'm not into the bling. If I get these, I'll figure out a bling smackdown using something like a black Sharpie.
yep, did a small test with a black Sharpie when I got the gloves. I didn't like how the Sharpie color was shinier than the glove or the titanium. Hm, I didn't think to see if Sharpie makes a matte color; I 'll check that out. Also, the Sharpie mark (did not cover all the metal) wore off over time.

Pls post if you find being smackdown!

cheers
08 Beta Rev3 125
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post

Pls post if you find being smackdown!

cheers
If I end up getting these, and the titanium bugs me that much, I'll work on finding a solution to tone them down some.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,667
KLIM gloves in general.........I wear an X-Large on every glove Ive had except KLIM a 2XL just about fits right. And the cheaper KLIM dirt gloves Ive had all have the stitching coming apart in a few rides, and the velcro is the cheap stuff that wont stay stuck even when new.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
MilSpecXC
Adventurer

KLIM got my gloves late Friday for the warranty review, and on Monday at 1000 I got an email saying they are sending me a new pair. They agreed that the gloves weren't up to spec.

Here is my question for you all - the gloves were purchased late last month directly from KLIM, and I had worn them on 4 rides. My long ride, 600 miles, is where I couldn't stand wearing them anymore due to the pain. I had to pay out of pocket to ship them the gloves. Am I being greedy if I think that KLIM should cover the shipping cost because of the bad construction of my gloves causing a warranty replacement?

MilSpecXC screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 07:25 PM
Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
KLIM got my gloves late Friday for the warranty review, and on Monday at 1000 I got an email saying they are sending me a new pair. They agreed that the gloves weren't up to spec.

Here is my question for you all - the gloves were purchased late last month directly from KLIM, and I had worn them on 4 rides. My long ride, 600 miles, is where I couldn't stand wearing them anymore due to the pain. I had to pay out of pocket to ship them the gloves. Am I being greedy if I think that KLIM should cover the shipping cost because of the bad construction of my gloves causing a warranty replacement?
Not greedy, but most companies don't reimburse for shipping items back to them. I've spent over $80 to ship back 2 Badlands jackets and one Latitude jacket to Klim and all were shipped back for free or replaced. Logically, they should pay shipping both ways since it was the result of THEIR defective product, but I imagine they'd go broke doing that.
IBA #50489

Hikertrash screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 08:58 PM
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
MilSpecXC
Adventurer

I just got the new pair and they are even worse than the first. The left gloves pinches the web in between my pinky and ring finger when I close my hand. It's very irritating.

The right glove pushes against the web in between my index finger and my middle finger. There is no way I could wear these for more than 5 minutes. My original right glove fit perfectly.

Too bad these gloves are made in China.

I just sent them another email to see what will they'll do. I'll be out over $20 in shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just got the new pair and they are even worse than the first. The left gloves pinches the web in between my pinky and ring finger when I close my hand. It's very irritating.

The right glove pushes against the web in between my index finger and my middle finger. There is no way I could wear these for more than 5 minutes. My original right glove fit perfectly.

Too bad these gloves are made in China.

I just sent them another email to see what will they'll do. I'll be out over $20 in shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought mine through govx.com and had to send back 2 pair before I found the right one that fit. First Large was too small, XL was too small, XXL was too big. After contacting Klim, they insisted I was a large, but just needed to break it in. I ordered another large and it fit much better than the first large and that's the one that I kept. I've found that most gloves regardless of brand are made in China and are so inconsistent in sizing making online ordering very risky. The only brand of gloves I know I can always buy the same size and it's guaranteed to fit is BMW. No matter what model, I know a 10-10 1/2 will always fit. I'm not sure if they have a better quality control or that most are made in Eastern Europe instead of China. However, I find all Klim clothing inconsistent. I tried on 3 Latitude jackets at the dealer and each fit different. I've had same results shopping for my Badlands and again trying on the Adventure Rally Air.
IBA #50489
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #14
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

I ordered these and received them yesterday. Debating whether to send them back or not, so haven't cut the tags off yet.

The overall quality seems good. However, the finger lengths are weird. On every other glove I own, they are cut correctly that no matter which finger, they all have the same slack at the end or fit the same. On these, each glove has one finger that is snug (middle on left, ring on right), and the rest have enough slack to put a dime flat between tip of my finger and tip of glove.

I have thought about soaking them in water to shrink them a little, wearing them wet outside for a while, and then allowing them to dry out in the sun. That's worked for me in the past to "form fit" leather gloves.

I don't know...for two Franklins, I'd expect better consistency. So, still considering whether to send them back. I did get them at Revzilla, so I know there wouldn't be problems on the exchange...but am I going to run into this with the next pair they send out?
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #15
MilSpecXC
Adventurer

Questions about the Klim Element Long gloves

Got a call from KLIM today. They apologized a number of times and said that there goal was to get me a pair of gloves that worked. I need a pair by Tuesday for a trip I've planned so they figured out the perfect solution.

They called a local KLIM retailer and asked them to put a Large and XL pair on hold for me. They asked me to go down and try both on. If I like the fit of either pair then I take it home! They worked out a credit for the local dealer giving me their stock.

They also sent me a return label to send the pair I have now back. I don't have to pay for shipping.

They went above and beyond my expectations. I'm now a KLIM fan for life.