Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Oddometer: 111
Innovv C3 camera testing (Info here, GROUP BUY in Vendors)

***Group buy started over in the vendor section

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009833

I've been looking for a dashcam style camera for my motorcycle for a bit after seeing a few accidents and I started talking to Rock at Innovv a little while ago about the motorcycle/action camera that he was developing over on the dashcam forums. He decided to let me do some pre-production testing on his new C3 remote lens camera. He sent me a unit to test and see what I thought of it.

First off this camera unit and lens are pretty small and there is no plastic in either housing except for maybe the buttons on the recoding unit. Everything else is aluminum. The lens assembly is waterproof and the recording unit is not. The lens cable is 1.5 meters long.

The comes full of mounts and cords and was surprisingly heavy when it showed up. Here's a list of what comes in the box
1x Innovv C3 Camera
1x Innovv C3 Lens
1x lens mount
1x USB cable
1x AV cable
1x Dashcam cable(4m)
1x Camera bracket
1x 3M Helmet mount
1x 3M Dashcam mount
1x Bar mount
1x Head mount
1x Microphone set
1x Car charger adapter
1x User manual

Most of the mounts are useful and the 1/4-20 camera mounts are the most useful since they will let you use any camera mount that you may already have. I like using Ram mounts since they are pretty bulletproof and inexpensive. They don't come with the camera but you can find them almost anywhere.

Rear facing mount on my Tuono

I also used one of the included mounts with a plastic wedge to get the right angle for a helmet mount.

The helmet mount works well for recording dashcam style footage but if you want footage that doesn't move around all of the time with wind buffeting and bumpy roads, it's best to find a stable place to mount the camera that's not attached to your wobbly neck.
You get a choice of a 90 degree or 120 degree lens with the camera or you can buy both and swap them out for different shots. They both work great, I prefer the 90 lens for use as a dashcam and the 120 makes for good senic shots.

You have a few options on how you can power the camera.Using the internal battery you can record for about 110 minutes. with an small generic usb external power pack you can go for a few hours depends on the size of the pack or you can plug it in to the usb adapter that takes 12v to 5v and record for as long as the memory lasts in single file mode or forever in loop recording mode.
There is also a still picture mode but I haven't messed around with that function yet.
You can set up the camera to act as a automatic dashcam when it's wired to the bikes power. When you turn your bike on it will automatically start recording and stop when you turn it off. The loop recording mode will record until the memory card is full and then it will start to overwrite the oldest files first. I get about 4.7 hours of video using a 32gb card so there's not much worry about losing a file that you want to keep if something happens. Also if your running on internal battery and you run out of power the camera will save the last file before it dies so that it doesn't get corrupted.

I've been using it for the most part as a dashcam to record my daily commute and I haven't been gentle with it. The build quality seems to be very solid. It's also has a lot more uses that just a dashcam and I'll be posting those up as I test them over the next couple of weeks.
So far everything is looking very promising, solid build quality and images

I'm going to make a "how to" using the POV headset mount and remote microphone and I'm gonna mount it to a variety of firearms to get some real first person shooter video at the shooting range.
Stay tuned for updates.

Willy510 screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 08:39 AM
Willy510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
what is the expected msrp?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
what is the expected msrp?
$129 for the camera with 90 degree lens and $139 for camera with 120 degree lens. You can the lenses seperate too, $30 and $35 each if you want to have both
Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Willy510 OP
Master of none

New firmware update that smoothed out the video
Just need to tune up and balance my Griso to get rid of some of the vibration.

Willy510 screwed with this post 09-19-2014 at 07:12 PM
Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Got rid of some more vibration to the camera by using the shorter Ram arm mount and updated the camera firmware to latest release.
Here are some day and night videos and a dropbox download link to the day video if you want to see it without Youtube compression.

Raw video file download

No streetlights just my headlight clip

Willy510 screwed with this post 09-19-2014 at 07:13 PM
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,785
Will this be appearing in the Vendors section when It's ready for release? I think I want one camera for the front and one for the rear. So I have to by two separate units? I think wide lens on both would show the biggest field which is my concern. Tell Rock to make all the parts available individually so i can have custom mounts on two vehicles, maybe.

I don't see a removeable memory so whatever you want to save has to be copied to the computer before it is written over? A removeable memory may give a little more versatility?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Will this be appearing in the Vendors section when It's ready for release? I think I want one camera for the front and one for the rear. So I have to by two separate units? I think wide lens on both would show the biggest field which is my concern. Tell Rock to make all the parts available individually so i can have custom mounts on two vehicles, maybe.

I don't see a removeable memory so whatever you want to save has to be copied to the computer before it is written over? A removeable memory may give a little more versatility?
When they are ready to ship there should be an posting over in vendors section.
If you want front and rear you'll want to order 2 units.
You'll probably want to DIY your mount for your bike since the majority of the mounts are better suited for bikes with pedals or cars. There are good parts to use in the box but using a RAM mount or a few cheap but good DIY mount ideas that I'll be posting later that are better suited for security and vibration on a motorcycle.

Comparison pics and videos of both lenses will be posted so that you can decide which lens is best for you.

The memory is a removable microSD card, not included. With a 32gb class 10 card I get about 5 hours before it starts looping over the oldest files.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,785
Thanks. Please post here when the thread starts appearing in Vendors. I have followed this thread and should see it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
refractor
Kick Start Biker

Oddometer: 141
What is the purpose of having such a camera? Just to record your surrounding? Is it meant to compete with the Gopro type of cameras.

How long does it record for?

Not having a water proof housing and having a connector would limit it's appeal for many.

I really cringed when you drove between cars
Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Quote:
Originally Posted by refractor View Post
What is the purpose of having such a camera? Just to record your surrounding? Is it meant to compete with the Gopro type of cameras.

How long does it record for?

Not having a water proof housing and having a connector would limit it's appeal for many.

I really cringed when you drove between cars
Main purpose for the C3 camera is as a motorcycle dashcam. If something where to happen during a ride, you'll have a record of it that no one can dispute. I ride to work everyday and I hope that nothing ever happens but if it does I don't want go through the "he said, she said" of what happened.

Here's an example from my ride home the other day.
Red Light runner.

It will record forever if you have it set on loop recording mode and it will overwrite the oldest files once it is full. I get about 5 hours on a 32gb card before it starts overwriting files.

It's not really meant to replace Gopro, You can mount this on your bike and wire it to switched power with adapter and it will start recording when you turn your bike on and turn off when you turn the bike off.The lens module is waterproof and the stock cable is 1.5 meters long and is extendable so you can hide the tiny recoding unit under your seat or in a saddlebag and the small lens module is barely noticeable when mounted. I'm sure a ziplock bag or tupperware container or a micro pelican case will take care of any waterproofing that will be needed for the recording unit until a purpose built case is made if there is enough demand.

Sitting in traffic makes me cringe a lot more than splitting lanes. It is legal in California as long as you're not an idiot about it.
After the 2:00 mark you can see that even dogs lane split here
Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Here's a comparison of the different lenses - 90 and 120 degree
Cameras are mounted on each side of the headlight and are from the same location, the timestamps don't match because I wasn't paying attention when I set them.

It also give you an idea of the quality of the images that you can pull from the video. Youtube kills the quality a bit with their compression

90 degree lens

120 degree lens

90 degree lens

120 lens
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
refractor
Kick Start Biker

Oddometer: 141
Man you have different driving conditions than I do. Most of the chance for damage is from deer. I don't think I could blame a deer for an accident.

I never ride at night. Roads don't have the white line on the right.

We meet may meet a vehicle in a mile or 4. No traffic lights.

Most vehicles are older. Both of my cars are from the 80's. So are my motorcycles.

Thanks for sharing your new camera
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
highlight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
has been following this for a while. Hope that they have the product out asap.
highlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlight View Post
has been following this for a while. Hope that they have the product out asap.
I was told this morning that they should be ready to ship at the end of next week

I was able to work a deal with the Innovv for a group buy, going to post up a ADV group buy for those interested in the next day or so.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Willy510 OP
Master of none

Tried out the time lapse setting this morning on the way to work

Warp speed Captain

Willy510 screwed with this post 09-19-2014 at 07:17 PM