Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,624
Do not buy or trust a lifeproof phone case!!!!!

I've had a LifeProof case for my Iphone 5S for about a year. It's advertised as waterproof to two meters, and today it was put to the test when we took the canoe out. I waded into the water to get to the stern of the canoe. I had the phone with me to take pictures of our outing.
THE CASE IS A PIECE OF SHIT. My phone got wet and does not work properly. So I logged on to LP's site, since I registered the case, and found that A) the warranty is for one year, which expired 15 days ago, and B)
Quote:
"LifeProof does not warrant, and is not responsible for, any smart phone or other device made by anyone other than LifeProof."

So if their case leaks and destroys your phone, they'll send you a new case (for $50 + shipping, on an $85 case) but you're screwed on the phone or whatever was in the case that failed. Even if it's within the one-year warranty period.

So I'm out a $600 phone because I believed the statements on the packaging, which I still have.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 07:54 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,951
I feel we must strip you of your "Master of the Obvious" title, sorry...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

How so?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
OverlandOdyssey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
You do have to frequently test the case to make sure it is still waterproof (something most people probably don't do).

Now here is why I won't buy another one. I've gone through 3 of them in one year. The plastic door that covers the charging port is poorly designed. It is the one real weak link and it is the one part that failed on all three cases. I have a Galaxy S4. My daughter has a S3 and I bought her case about a month before I got mine. Her S3 case is still going strong 1 year later. Maybe it's just a S4 design problem.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Which is why having insurance on your phone is a bargain.
The same thing happened to me. It was entirely my fault. I did not follow Lifeproof's instructions to test the case (sans phone) prior to immersion, and to make sure all of the seals were clean (pocket lint does not make for a watertight case).
BTW, those are the same instructions for the dive case that I used to have for my film camera (I hope the thief who has it pinched his fingers in the latch).

Waterproof digital cameras (that have better resolution than the iPhone) cost less than $300 (a few decent ones for $150 even). I'm taking one on my next trip.

k-moe screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 09:17 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
plutonic
Banned

Oddometer: 3,575
I have one which I used for about a year. Dropped my phone in water accidentally a few times and the phone inside never got wet ( iPhone 4 ).
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
How so?

1911fan
Let's say they did warranty the phone, how many people would just buy a case after they got their phone wet then file a claim? They'd be out of business in no time.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Sorry to hear about your phone, we can understand the frustration.

I have been using Lifeproof cases on my iPhones for about 3 years now, including using my phone as my nav device always on my handlebars on a RAM mount. I have dumped my bike dozens of times off road and in creeks, ridden in rain, had a waiter spill a full glass of tomato juice on it and I have dropped it on the driveway and down stairs a few times (yes, this is why I do not perform micro-surgery for a living) and my phone has always survived. My son dropped his in the toilet twice. It's the best damn $85 I have ever "overpaid" for something.

As someone else said, you are supposed to check it periodically, ad admittedly, I do not do that. My teenage son's case eventually looked pretty chewed up and we replaced it. Yeah, dropping another $85 hurt, but it's better than him having gone through several phones.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Let's say they did warranty the phone, how many people would just buy a case after they got their phone wet then file a claim? They'd be out of business in no time.
Seems to be a bad few weeks for "warranty" issues, right Garp? I bet at least he bought his case.

Garp's got it right, again...doing it any other way just opens the door to fraudulent claims. Most people are honest..over a few bucks...you'd be surprised how much that changes when a $500+ phone could easily be replaced by saying it got destroyed using somebody's case when it wasn't.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
EastRoad
Road Viking

Oddometer: 92
I have been using the Lifeproof "nüüd" case for some while now.

Bought it less for its claimed water-proofness but rather because I work with metal... and the dust seems to be particularly fond of the phone.

Case has worked well so far... and I have "washed" it off a few times.

Although I'd be really weary to bring it into a water-contact situation.

Waterproofing is a complex issue and simply a few seals will not guarantee anything usually.

The case works amazingly well in torrential rain, etc.
And I guess for that its excellent.

But whenever I have to take the phone along on watersports stuff it goes into an additional ECase waterproof bag...
EastRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

In my case (pun) the warranty would have been proveable, since I got the case (and registered it) at the same time/place as the phone.
My purpose in posting is to alert others that the case may not work as advertised (Waterproof!) and to test it often and trust it not at all. As above posters say, the testing every three months is something I bet damn few owners do, and the instructions also say to retest it before any possible contact with water. Since that takes an hour, I bet damn few people do it.
I'm also curious about how a product designed and sold as "Waterproof" can apparently fail with no visible signs. In mine, water entered through the charging port. Before getting near the water, I checked that the earphone plug was tight and the charging port cover securely latched.
I'm six feet tall, and the phone was in a thigh pocket. Since my head never went underwater, I can say that max immersion depth was around three feet, far less than their two-meter claim ("Fully submersible to 6.6 feet!"). I'm mad, at myself for trusting advertising claims and then not testing it regularly, and at them for marketing a product that is apparently highly subject to failure- else why the regular checks, including the recommendation to test it, again, before possible immersion?

1911fan

1911fan screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 07:58 AM
Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I do not fully trust the case to be 100% waterproof for any serious period of time or duty.

That stated I like my case and expect I will purchase another as the situation arises.

I ride with my phone exposed using handlebar mount and so far so good... Although its time to take it all back apart, clean, service, reassemble, and test.

And hope it pulls through until time comes for either a new phone or to do it all over again.

Can't say I trust it though... Enough to swim or submerge deliberately without further more temporary protection. (Dry bag or sort) I view the case as additional protection or insurance but not "proof" as to its ability to be indestructible.

I can understand frustration of OP... And the occasional issue posted might help the improvement of such products, theirs or competititors. either way its a realty check for everyone.
KoolBreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Pretty much. like I told the guy at the Verizon store, you'll treat the device differently if you know it's not waterproof than if you think it is.

1911fan

Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,437
Name another iPhone case that is waterproof.

...crickets...

Honestly, it is a cheap form of insurance. You read the fine print. Says to test it first. Don't you think a year's worth of pocket lint and opening/closing that charger cover multiple times a day takes its toll?

I'm on my second lifeproof in a few years of use, which included numerous scenarios with wet pockets from rain while riding, but never intentionally submerged the phone because I know better.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I've got one, and I like it. Works perfectly well for rain, but there's no way I would swim with it. As has been mentioned, the flap that covers the charging port is a poor design. I wish it was a plug with an o-ring, instead of a flat piece of yellow (rubber?) that easily snaps off the plastic flap.

Anyway, I scubadive, and I'm used to the maintenance involved in keeping a submersible camera case from flooding, so I just periodically do the same with the Lifeproof; remove, clean, and grease the O-ring. So far everything's fine.

GreyThumper screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 01:43 AM
GreyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote