User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,443
Camping cook's knife

I got tired, long ago, of cutting food into an aluminum plate/bowl with a Swiss Army knife. Eventually I got a "folding cook's knife" from Russell. Nice blade and size but the handle is so tall that there's no room for fingers under the handle when cutting on a cutting board. (I take a small piece of 1mm-thick sheet of poly cutting sheet.) As nice as the blade is, it mostly failed as a cook's knife. The sharp edges at the bottom of the handle were only 0.045" thick and were not at all comfortable if the food had any toughness at all.

Yesterday I took it to my slow-speed grinder and removed 1/16" across the entire bottom edge to bring the next layer flush with the bottom -- double the surface and I added a bit of radius to the edges. I also removed the extra bit that's supposed to go between fingers since my fingers cross there at a 30-degree angle. This added a lot of extra room for fingers under the handle.

Really small changes that transform this from a good-looking but handicapped knife into a usable cook's knife. The handle may still be too tall for people with thick fingers.

Or perhaps it's simply been too many months since I went camping.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
We like our Rada knife as our only "traveling knife". It's inexpensive,relatively small,lightweight, very sharp & does what we need with tomatoes,fruits,bread,cheese,etc.. Stays ready in a cardboard travel case. Low cost & ready for most normal use .
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
We like our Rada knife as our only "traveling knife". . . .
Yea. I have to admit that I have a couple of "normal" small kitchen knives that are lighter than this one and would work about as well. This one does packs very well -- short enough to go in a cook pot and flat enough to go in a Loksak with some of the food.

This does have an 11cm (4 1/4") blade which is longer than anything else that I'd try to pack.

What do others take for cutting fresh food?

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 06:24 AM
Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
WarpRider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a folding cook's knife. Interesting. Do they hold an edge pretty well?
WarpRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Cperry
n00b

Oddometer: 1
opinel

I am huge fan of my opinel #8. Cost like 8 bucks. Holds an edge. I oil it with grape seed oil occasionally. Also a decent EDC. Also known as a peasents knife on France. They used for cutting bread and salamis.
Cperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpRider View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a folding cook's knife. Interesting. Do they hold an edge pretty well?
Welcome to the forum, WarpRider.

It holds an edge very well. As my only cooking knife for over 6 weeks it never needed a touch-up while the thin cutting sheet I used was ready for the trash. I trust A G Russell for edges -- it's the rest of the design that needed some adjustment.

Opinels are great, but the handle keeps most of the blade off a cutting board. That's fine for some uses.

EDIT: Oops. Welcome also to Cperry!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperry View Post
I am huge fan of my opinel #8. Cost like 8 bucks. Holds an edge. I oil it with grape seed oil occasionally. Also a decent EDC. Also known as a peasents knife on France. They used for cutting bread and salamis.
tough to beat an opinel of any size for most any task -- other than bragging rights ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
macbethandbanquo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Have a couple of Opinels. Great steel and easy to sharpen

My favorite one was made by Cold Steel years ago. Rubberized handle and, I believe, Carbon V steel.

Leave it stored in my tank bag on the bike for handy use.

Also in cooking chores, I use a Fallkniven U1 3G blade folder. Best small blade I've ever had. Very handy.
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
tough to beat an opinel of any size for most any task -- other than bragging rights ;-}
Well that's cleared up. Use an Opinel for everything. No need to match tools to the job or to different types of camp cooking. Right.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
purplepeopleeater
The Official VW Nut

Oddometer: 135
Folding cooks knife?

Just the ticket for my westfalia!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Tj007m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Cooks Knife

Just ordered a Opinel #8. Like the history behind it too.
$12.95 Shipped from Opinel USA.
Tj007m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Fookin-A, Guys. Opinel, Opinel. How 'bout some pics for us guys that can't read and don't know how to Google!

(Great idea tho'-camp cook knife thread!)

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
Tj007m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Opinel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife
Tj007m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Well that's cleared up. Use an Opinel for everything. No need to match tools to the job or to different types of camp cooking. Right.

Not at all.

But if you are minimizing your load out, almost everything you carry will be a compromise to one degree or another. Opinel is a good compromise for many things.

If I was travelling in a huge Earth Roamer type vehical, I'd cetainly pack many more knives . . . . and a dutch over, cast iron fruying pan . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Great that you have found the correct compromise for a knife and let us know that people that seek compromises with different priorities are doing it only for bragging rights. Also kind of you not to brag that your compromises are the correct ones.

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 03:14 AM