User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 815
Seth Laam seats...

Wanted to report my experience with Seth Laam seats. Mine is for an FJR, but he'll do anything. I've had two Russells and two Sargents (on other bikes), and I have to say I would stack this guy's work up against anybody - both from a comfort and a quality standpoint. His pricing is exceptionally reasonable. Seth is a super guy to deal with, as well. He uses your stock pan, but on some models (like the FJR), he does enough of them that he often has pans in stock and will just do a swap.

I have no affiliation with Seth, other than being an extremely satisfied customer. Having just returned Friday night from a 5-day, 3600 mile run to Arizona, I can say that the ONLY thing that didn't hurt on the trip was my ass. I don't have an auxiliary fuel cell, so I don't ride ridiculous miles in-between stations. We averaged about 160 miles between fuel stops, with the longest being a scary (because of fuel) 201 miles in nowhere, Texas. The highest compliment I can pay is that I never once noticed the seat, and never had the urge to get off the bike because of butt burn. Not one time. And that's really saying something - I'm not the toughest rider in the world, and I've had plenty of seats that caused me to squirm after 60 miles.

I got the heated option for this seat, and since my wife doesn't ride with me, the rear seat is the factory foam, with only a re-cover.

Including the recent tour, I only have around 8000 miles on the seat, so I'll have to report back later with regard to durability and longevity, but honestly, the attention to detail on his work is flawless. Foam degradation would be the only question, but he uses types of layered foams in a way that (he claims) negates degradation for a long, long time. I see no reason to disbelieve him. Realizing that seat comfort - like everything else - is completely subjective, I'm a 235-pound never-happy-with-my-seat kinda guy, and I love this thing. It's a fantastic seat, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Seth Laam's work to anybody.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
mslim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Beautiful work! Thanks for the report.

Slim
mslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Slice19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
For the Google challenged... http://laamseats.com
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice19 View Post
For the Google challenged... http://laamseats.com

Yes - thanks for covering my oversight...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 834
I've got two of them.
Good seats.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I bought a like new Laam seat for my Tiger 1050 and it's great. Other seats I've tried on that bike were, OEM, OEM tall, OEM tall modded by me, Corbin, Seat Concepts, and a custom built "a sweet seat".

As my hips continue to deteriorate, a good seat is getting harder and harder to find. I decided to try a sweet seat which uses layers of tempurpedic type foam. I only have a few miles it so far, so I can't give any meaningful review, but it looks promising.

With my Laam seat, after a full day of riding, at most, I was only slightly sore. I would be moderately to extremely sore after 1-2 hours with all the other seats I tried.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
MarkAZ
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Did you guys do a ride-in or just order on the internet?
MarkAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAZ View Post
Did you guys do a ride-in or just order on the internet?
I called Seth - he said he prefers to do business over the phone, rather than email. He's a very knowledgeable guy, and extremely helpful and friendly.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
MarkAZ
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I guess what I'm asking about is ride-in vs mail order. A ride-in is probably the best but not doable for many of us. How well do the mail-order seats turn out?

I'd like a more comfortable seat and his prices look pretty good, esp. compared to some of the others. I just wonder how well the process works.
MarkAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 AM   #10
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 834
It worked fine for me.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote