User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
ezwicky OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
venting shootout tonight: klim latitude, aerostich darien, olympia AST

i went on a short ride this evening to compare the venting on the three jackets in the header. the temperature was ~78 degrees. the bike is a naked airhead. i rode a half-mile down a two-lane road, then onto an interstate for three miles, then back, cruising at around 75 - 80 mph.

all available vents were open on each jacket. i wore short-cuff rev'it fly gloves, darien pants, combat lite boots and a full-face helmet.

the olympia AST hands-down flowed more air than the other two. i could feel it all over my back. it was really nice. those long arm vents were the key, i think, as well as the velcro setup for holding all the vents open.

the latitude (misano) was the next-best, but not even close to the AST. i was comfortable, but i can't say i really "felt" the air flow like i did with the AST.

the darien was dead last. i could not really feel any air flow even though i had the cuff-expansion zippers open and i was hoping this would direct air up through the sleeves and out the back. maybe it did a tad, but not that much.

for air flow, the clear winner for me is the AST.

i've never been caught in the rain in the AST, only the latitude. and i just got the darien tonight in the mail from an inmate here, so maybe there are wet-weather advantages to the gore-tex jackets as opposed to the AST. we'll see.

-eric
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for this. Very helpful now we need you to do it for Badlands, Rukka and Olympia MotoQuest ...
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I am not finding the AST being sold any longer.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Hammerdown77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Yep, the new Olympia Ranger (replacement for the AST 2) did away with the arm vents.

I definitely like arm/pit vents. I think on most of the bikes we ride, with some type of screen/fairing, the area that benefits the most from venting is the arms.
Hammerdown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
My Olympia AST does a great job venting in the rain, when the zippers are closed, too. That's the downside to having such good venting.
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,566
Great venting AND a waterproof shell...I don't think it exists. Choose one or the other based the ride.

I hear the waterproof liners in the Motoport and some of the other hgh end stuff works well, but I'd hate to have to take my gear off in the rain to put the liners in. I'd rather carry an ICON rain jacket if that was the case.

Busted out the $100 Vega mesh jacked I picked up on a close out a couple of years ago for those HOT days. Mmmm...mesh is nice in the heat, but don't expect it to outlast any sliding.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote