User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #31
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,565
I have good news and bad news.

The good news: Thanks to Lost Rider. The removal of the holder from the helmet using the hair dryer was super easy. Replacing with Dual Lock worked great and I now have multiple attachment options - that is a super solution.

The bad news: My Ghost started to make interference/static noise when it was turned off and not in use. This happened with the WiFi turned off and the remote off and the device off.

I contacted Drift by email and received a response within 5 minutes: "This noise you are experiencing from your mic whilst the camera is turned off, is not something a firmware update will fix. Unfortunately it is hardware fault in your camera. In which case could you please return the camera to the retailer, Amazon, to arrange your replacement under warranty. "

so I went online and processed a no hassle return with Amazon - didn't even have to call their Customer Service, just printed a prepaid return label and was all set.

It is absolutely great to deal with two such high quality companies that stand behind their promises. Great work by both Drift and Amazon. so glad i don't have to deal with some 3rd party.

I am ordering a replacement Ghost - I like what I saw so far and will get another.

EDIT: I did a search on Google before contacting Drift about the interference/static problem - I could find no other reports of anyone having a similar issue.

Thinc2 screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 01:50 AM
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #32
atgatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
depends on usage

I myself have a hero 3 black. I bought that one mainly for the video quality which is very good. Alas...

Here's my problem... I normally use it for vlogging so you need a microphone... which costs extra... and you need to control the volume of the mic or you come off sounding like a heavy breather... which costs extra... and you have to cut a hole in your waterproof case to plug the mic in which is stupid and a PITA... and the form factor isn't great (I look like a tele-tubby)...

My point being the drift ghost is a superior solution for vlogging and I wish I had bought that one. For vlogging the video quality isn't the most imporant thing.
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
SeattleExplorer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
The bad news: My Ghost started to make interference/static noise when it was turned off and not in use.

I contacted Drift by email and received a response within 5 minutes: "This noise you are experiencing from your mic whilst the camera is turned off, is not something a firmware update will fix. Unfortunately it is hardware fault in your camera. In which case could you please return the camera to the retailer, Amazon, to arrange your replacement under warranty. "

so I went online and processed a no hassle return with Amazon -
I had exact same experience. Audio crackling problem, no hassle return thru Amazon, re-order, all good with second device.
SeattleExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
SeattleExplorer
n00b

Been using GoPro for couple years, tired of tellatubby look top of helmet, now trying Drift Ghost with good success.

Remote is awesome. Big easy buttons, ability to switch modes (vid, stills, etc) is brilliant. Only nit is the LED blinking routines on remote aren't always intuitive but learnable.

Vid quality is fine. Still quality is excellent. Finding I'm using it more and more for stills than vids, which surprised me as that wasn't initial mission but glad it's easy to switch back and forth between vid and stills with remote.

Tagging is good feature but as noted above zaps battery as if recording everything (cuz u are). Also not incredibly intuitive and as noted above the regime they pre-program (record previous x-seconds, current x-seconds, and following x-seconds) doesn't make sense. I want to have it in tag mode, hit "record" and have it save to disk the last x-seconds, then hit record again when I'm done to turn off save to disk. "x" should be user selected as it is now. A "safe" preset would be 30 seconds.

Mounting is a challenge. My biggest concern is one critical part, the piece that screws into the camera, comes with the kit but there's only one and there is no part available to replace it from Drift on their website or elsewhere. That part breaks or goes missing, and you have no way to mount the camera. Drift's customer support came through for me in a one-off request brilliantly, but they really do need to make that part available.

Second mount challenge is the bulkiness of the pieces. Don't understand why they're so BIG and the design adds lots of wind noise to a helmet mounted setup. I wish they or third party would streamline the mounting.

Having said that, the ability to rotate the lens is a big advantage over GoPro. And the mounting piece I complained about above is also flexible in ability to rotate it 360. Nice.

So, bottom line, after about 10 hours of use, I'm glad I branched out from GoPro. I'll continue to use GoPros mounted to the bike at various attach points but my helmet cam of choice is now most definitely the Ghost.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #35
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Have you considered just adding dual lock to the back of the camera (and the helmet) and skipping the mounting system alltogether?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
SeattleExplorer
n00b

Quote:
Have you considered just adding dual lock to the back of the camera (and the helmet) and skipping the mounting system alltogether?
Yes, though I'd like to modify the Drift clip that attaches to the camera and put the dual lock on it so I don't restrict the flexibility of mounts for the future. And also looking to mount the camera in a more forward position to remove the side of the helmet from the 170 fov frame. Trying to replicate the broad view of the GoPro mounted to top of helmet while avoiding the teletubby look.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #37
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleExplorer View Post
Yes, though I'd like to modify the Drift clip that attaches to the camera and put the dual lock on it so I don't restrict the flexibility of mounts for the future. And also looking to mount the camera in a more forward position to remove the side of the helmet from the 170 fov frame. Trying to replicate the broad view of the GoPro mounted to top of helmet while avoiding the teletubby look.
That is what I ended up doing - putting dual lock on the clip so I could position the camera anywhere on the helmet i wanted.

I realized that if I don't want the helmet in the FOV, I can just adjust the zoom ever so slightly until it disappears. So it's just a matter of picking zoom and FOV combination.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Excellent.

Saved me a bunch of research, I had the same quest and questions.

Like you, I am more interested in some fish-eye wide random stills while riding then video that looks like everyone else's after the first five seconds. This would not be my primary still camera, certainly, just another perhaps more candid option.

Just me maybe.
The Contour allows you to store 2 profile settings, which are selectable via a small switch inside the rear door. I have one of my pre-sets set to take a still photo every "x" seconds. This gives me "some fish-eye wide random stills while riding".
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
SeattleExplorer
n00b

Quote:
.I realized that if I don't want the helmet in the FOV, I can just adjust the zoom ever so slightly until it disappears. So it's just a matter of picking zoom and FOV combination.
Hadn't thought of zoom to remove helmet. Great idea! Thx.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #40
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleExplorer View Post
Tagging is good feature but as noted above zaps battery as if recording everything (cuz u are). Also not incredibly intuitive and as noted above the regime they pre-program (record previous x-seconds, current x-seconds, and following x-seconds) doesn't make sense. I want to have it in tag mode, hit "record" and have it save to disk the last x-seconds, then hit record again when I'm done to turn off save to disk. "x" should be user selected as it is now. A "safe" preset would be 30 seconds.

Mounting is a challenge. .....................

I thought so strongly about the foolishness of their x-secs past, x-secs current and x-secs future, that I sent a detailed email to their product support site. To their credit I received a timely and personal reply promising to look at it. Although I'm not sure they actually believe me.
e.g. I gave an example of even a skateboarder.....trying a trick over and over again; you would only tag it (save) once you had successfully completed the trick - maybe set for past 30 seconds. No need for current or future x-seconds.....
My example was having a bloke stack in front of me or rounding a corner, meeting a killer hill, conquering it, then wanting to record that. No need for current or future x-seconds, and certainly no chance of getting hands off bars to hit the record button DURING the terror!.

Surely this could be given as an optional update to the firmware??

Mounting.
On one helmet I have it mounted under the peak. Brilliant for protecting the Ghost, for showing footage of the handlebars of bike and the terrain, and for happily knowing it is still attached.
On another helmet it is on the side, still shows some of the helmet, some of the handlebars. But I did fall off and bang the side of my helmet on the ground.....not sure what would have happened had the Ghost been attached to that side.

Settings: For close & fast single track, I still think the 720p with the 60fps is the best for showing motion. When stopping and looking around at longer scenes and the fine detail (e.g. leaves), the 1080p is clearer. Once again, this only really seems truly noticable when you actually compare almost identical footage back to back.

edit: PS. Isn't it funny how you would have sworn there is NO way your head hit the ground, but THERE it is on the footage, "Clunk!!".

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #41
Snivly Dweeb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
After seeing some of the reviews elsewhere on the Ghost I figured it was more in line for what I was looking for .

Finally got out today to try the gizmo out and I still have some learning to do or at least the remote control indicators and the like.
Went with a helmet mount on my X11 Shoei with a guess for best position and worked out rather well.

Finally got a chance to see what the results were when I looked at the video , and it does see quite a bit, including an indication of my speed

I may want to reconsider the mounting angle.

I'm impressed

Snivly
Snivly Dweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #42
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
I ordered a real cheap 2nd battery (plus car charger) from ebay. It was listed as suitable for the Drift Ghost, has Drift on the side, also has model number "FXDC02" on the side - which is identical to the original Drift Innovations one.
Only difference is the original has 1700mAh, and the new one has 2300mAh on it. The volts are the same (3.7v)

Question: Will it hurt my camera to put in a 2300mAh battery in it.

Btw, a quick ebay search shows you can get 3 x batteries now from Hong Kong for about $20, instead of the $50 or so for the original ONE.

Btw2, both the original and my cheapie have "Made in China".

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
SeattleExplorer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post

".
Can't answer your direct question. Can say that I had good experience for GoPro cameras with batteries from Wasabi and just picked up their batteries made for the Ghost and am quite happy. Charger and two batteries for the cost of one Battery from Drift. They are 3.7 volt and 1900mAh and made in China. Time will tell how they hold up but so far so good.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #44
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
I ordered a real cheap 2nd battery (plus car charger) from ebay. It was listed as suitable for the Drift Ghost, has Drift on the side, also has model number "FXDC02" on the side - which is identical to the original Drift Innovations one.
Only difference is the original has 1700mAh, and the new one has 2300mAh on it. The volts are the same (3.7v)

Btw, a quick ebay search shows you can get 3 x batteries now from Hong Kong for about $20, instead of the $50 or so for the original ONE.

All electronic circuits dicate how much current they will use/draw from the power source/battery in normal operation, they will not take more current/power/watts from a power source than they need.

Therefore using a battery/power source with more current capacity (mAH) will not cause your camera to draw more current and thus it is safe to use.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #45
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 958
Quote:

Short answer: USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

Long answer: Batteries, being essentially little boxes of precisely-arranged chemicals, are one of the few things where you absolutely get what you pay for.

The half-price-double-capacity batteries sold for cheap on ebay from Hong Kong use metals and chemicals of a lesser purity grade, assembled with less care, allowing them to build the battery cells at less cost. Hence the crazy low prices

At best, the listed capacity is a blatant lie, as you will find out after a few weeks of use, or if you pull the battery apart and look at the actual listed capacity on the individual cells. The simple fact is that with Li-Ion batteries, capacity=size. If they say they've managed to add 600mah, for half the price, and with no change in battery size, they're bullshitting.

At worst, the slap-dash construction and impure materials will eventually react in a bad way (usually after recharge), shorting out or starting a runaway chemical reaction, causing a meltdown of the battery. I learned this the hard way with four ebay batteries I bought for my Canon DSLR. The four of them may have cost as much as one canon battery, but the battery grip they destroyed cost much more. I'm seriously not joking - they swell up, start hissing smoke, then catch fire. You need to drop them in a bucket of salt water to put them out. I've had the same thing happen with ebay batteries for my phone, for RC helicopters....I've stopped trying now. Lesson learned

Stick with well known brands (like Wasabi) or the manufacturers battery. They may well be made in China too (often japan though), but the materials and quality control are up to scratch, and you will get a better charge from them for longer. I'm going to get two Wasabi batteries for my Ghost - they've been great in my phone so far.

Jdeks screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 09:31 AM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote