Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #91
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
gee whiz - the SV is fine. It's a high mileage bike and deserves to be considered as such. So what if it's on it's second motor? What really makes for a high mileage bike is how much it's owner enjoys riding it.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Funny that an SV not topping 100,000 miles without an engine swap gets a pass but a million mile HD with even less "maintenance" gets shit on by posters. Gotta love ADVR's unbiased constituents.

Seriously though, who gives a flying turd. Ride yer' feckin' bikes and smile. Life's too short to be so damn petty.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #92
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Funny that an SV not topping 100,000 miles without an engine swap gets a pass but a million mile HD with even less "maintenance" gets shit on by posters. Gotta love ADVR's unbiased constituents.

Seriously though, who gives a flying turd. Ride yer' feckin' bikes and smile. Life's too short to be so damn petty.
I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Life's too short to be so damn petty.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #93
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:

20.00 says the SV was ridden muuuuuch harder than the HD ;-)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #94
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post

I will send you my paypal address for payment.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #95
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post

At an average of 50,000 mies a year for 20 years there might have been some speeding. Think about it and try harder next time.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #96
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:

Ummm, I don't have a problem with the Harley either.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #97
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Ummm, I don't have a problem with the Harley either.

Sorry man, just used your post as a jumping off point because I was too lazy to search back through the thread for "offending" posts.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #98
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:

Maybe you misread something, but my SV had well over 100,000 when I chose to put a new motor in. The original motor was running well just consuming oil. (sound familiar Harley owner?). For under $400 it was a no-brainer.

And who the fuck cares what bikes people ride? I'm sure there's an Enfield out there in Pakistan somewhere with a bajillion miles. Means nothing. There are exceptions to every rule.

like the million mile Harley

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #99
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
!

My current bike, a 1996 Triumph Daytona 1200 with ~65k miles, purchased in 2010 with 17k. Replaced the notoriously bad factory coils and a crank position sensor, along with several sets of tires and many oil changes. Been in five Canadian provinces and ~35 states.

Purchased in 2007 with 35k miles, sold in 2011 with 102k miles. I miss it. Only replaced a clutch slave cylinder in addition to the regular maintenance. Rode it to 42 states and a couple Canadian provinces in 2009. It's been in all lower 48 in my ownership.

Got a buddy with ~250k miles on a 2004 FJR in Illinois. The only thing that's failed on it for him are the starter and an aftermarket stator.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #100
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
Maybe you misread something
Didn't miss a thing man but I appreciate the concern.

Quote:
, but my SV had well over 100,000 when I chose to put a new motor in. The original motor was running well just consuming oil.
I think that it is awesome that you (or anyone else) were able to put 100+ thousand miles on ANY bike. I'm honestly jealous that I don't have the time to ride more than I currently do. With that said, let's be honest. A motor that is consuming oil (not going back but I believe that you said 1/2-1 qt per 1000 mi) is running "well" , it's just still running. Heck, I put 20k miles on a Nissan motor that had a rod knock and was still running when I swapped the motor but I would never delude myself by saying that it ran well.

Quote:
(sound familiar Harley owner?).
Nope, not familiar at all as an HD owner. Neither one of my Sportsters consumes oil but then again neither has more than 42k on the clock. I am sure that by 100k at least one of them will no longer be able to claim that but hey, that's a machine for you. Conversely it does sound familiar as a Kawasaki and Honda owner. Both of my Kawasaki's and my Honda use a bit of oil between changes.

Quote:
And who the fuck cares what bikes people ride? I'm sure there's an Enfield out there in Pakistan somewhere with a bajillion miles. Means nothing. There are exceptions to every rule.

Not me. I am not loyal to any brand nor do I care what someone rides whether it be my dad on his Bullet 500 or my buddy on his GY6 swapped Ruckus.

Quote:
like the million mile Harley
I would think that any vehicle with 1 million miles is an exception especially if it's a bike.

In the end the intent of my post was NOT to bag on your bike or exalt any one brand over another. Doing so would be stupid on both fronts. I simply found it funny that the very people trying to discredit or make light of the million mile HD because of repairs made had nothing to say with regards to your SV. The hypocrisy was simply funny to me as a motorcyclist (note that I did not say biker ).

Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #101
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I have 238,000 miles and counting on a 1985 FJ1100. Air cooled motor has never been touched, is still quiet and runs great! Alot of gas, some oil, a few tires and a couple chains.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #102
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,072
The funniest thing about all this, is even stressed out motors like the a CBR1GixJa will pull 160,000km.

Most of the bigger bikes will do 300,000+ without a rebuild. But I am still listening to people babble on about trading the [pick Japanese bike of choice] at 40,000Km "'cause it's getting a bit old ya know".

But I have to ask. Where do all these bikes that last 160,000+Km go? Into Choppers or rat bikes or something?

I was looking at a 250 Ninja in the parking lot the other day thinking to myself that they could do something about the fasteners on the plastic cause they looked a bit dodgy. Wondering why they couldn't use stainless or something.

Then I realized it was 23years old with 49,000Km on it. I felt like writing a note. "Dude..WTF! Stop riding it round the back yard and get out there" How can you only ride 2K a year?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #103
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
2006 FJR with 120,000 miles, battery, tires, oil, gas, headlight bulbs, replaced the cct as a precaution but it didn't need it. Suspension upgrade at 50k. Still riding and loving it.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #104
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Curious thought

I find myself wondering what usually happens to these bikes after they pass 100k miles or so. Typically no one would want to buy then unless they get it for a ridiculously low price (except for the BMWs, those are expensive no matter what ) . What do most people do, just drive it until it dies, then scrap it or bob it out?

i've got 20k miles on my fz6, and I'm pretty sure no one would want a 'sports bike' after 20k miles, so I'm planning on riding it for a good long while, but then what, scrap it, bob it, etc?

What do you guys do when your bike turns over so many miles that you can't really keep fixing it up, but can't really sell it either?

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #105
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
I find myself wondering what usually happens to these bikes after they pass 100k miles or so. Typically no one would want to buy then unless they get it for a ridiculously low price (except for the BMWs, those are expensive no matter what ) . What do most people do, just drive it until it dies, then scrap it or bob it out?

i've got 20k miles on my fz6, and I'm pretty sure no one would want a 'sports bike' after 20k miles, so I'm planning on riding it for a good long while, but then what, scrap it, bob it, etc?

What do you guys do when your bike turns over so many miles that you can't really keep fixing it up, but can't really sell it either?
I ask myself that same question but I believe it comes to a point of diminishing return. If it costs too much to keep it running then you part it out, junk it, or park it way way back in either the barn or garage. lol It has opened my eyes ref. how far and how long I want to keep bikes in the future and it is really important if you do not know how to wrench you buy bikes that are extremely reliable, but that is another whole topic.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote