Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #121
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
I don't know if you have to be a good wrench for your bike to last over 100k miles but I do know your bike has to be good quality. I can change oil, filter, and rear oil, battery and air filter replacement but that is it and my bike is pretty easy to drain oil. Ride it like you want it to last and treat it as such and if you have a quality bike it will last. I asked my mechanic, who works in a shops that chops and sells used mc parts what my bike would be worth if I parted it out. He told me about $6k and that is without any of the extras. That is kind of funny because I was asking $4k for the bike with $5k in extras. Now I will keep the bike and enjoy it some more. I ride a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #122
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
A few hundred a year in parts vs. a few hundred a month in payments. Not to mention the anchor of loans. I pick bikes I like and keep them. Apparently you'd be surprised what kind of mileage you can actually get from a good bike well taken care of. With a couple exceptions I'm done buying bikes. Time to ride.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #123
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
I have 100,000 + km's on my 2001 ducati monster 900, which isn't a huge number, but renders the bike worthless to sell. It's not a concern however, as I love the bike and could never part with it. I've rebuilt it once and will keep doing so every 10 yrs. or so when it needs a refresh. I'll leave it my son when he's old enough, assuming I don't right it off. (touch wood)
That seems like a lot of rebuilds. I'm thinking that I might rebuild mine when it hits 250K miles (400K km), as a precaution/reward for good service.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #124
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
1 million kilometres on fj1100

Thats not a typo. Check this out
http://youtu.be/2K-tDfxuj1E
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #125
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
That seems like a lot of rebuilds. I'm thinking that I might rebuild mine when it hits 250K miles (400K km), as a precaution/reward for good service.

PhilB
I didn't actually rebuild the engine. 6th gear went on me and there was no sense in splitting the cases and not rebuilding the engine after 100,000 km's. However, I found a used, low mile, clean and tight 900 engine for $700 from the same year bike and figured a swap would be so much easier and leave me with spare engine parts.

While I had the engine out, I decided to strip down the bike, strip the frame and have it, the swingarm, rearsets and headlight ring powdercoated. I installed sbk forks and an ohlins rear shock. So, the rebuild wasn't totally neccessary, but one thing led to another.

If I can get away with another 20 yrs and no rebuild, I will.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #126
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't actually rebuild the engine. 6th gear went on me and there was no sense in splitting the cases and not rebuilding the engine after 100,000 km's. However, I found a used, low mile, clean and tight 900 engine for $700 from the same year bike and figured a swap would be so much easier and leave me with spare engine parts.

While I had the engine out, I decided to strip down the bike, strip the frame and have it, the swingarm, rearsets and headlight ring powdercoated. I installed sbk forks and an ohlins rear shock. So, the rebuild wasn't totally neccessary, but one thing led to another.

If I can get away with another 20 yrs and no rebuild, I will.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #127
ken robert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
BMW riders might recognize the name Lyle Grimes. Lyle was the high milage coordinator for BMWMOA. When I was a BWM rider I had the good fortune to ride with Lyle. I saw Lyle put 200000 plus miles on a R1100R and give it to a friend who wanted to start rding. Lyle liked K bikes, the last one I saw him riding was an K1100RS. This bike was close to 250000 miles. Oh, Lyle was mid 70s old at that time. He would ride from the New Orleans area to visit his sister in Drain, Or in just three days! He was 30 years my senior and I thought he rode on water.
ken robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #128
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Here's a guy who did a legit million miles on his HD. Seems pretty high miles.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html
Are we supposed to believe that he never had the heads off in 1,000,000 miles? Sorry!!!!
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #129
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post
Are we supposed to believe that he never had the heads off in 1,000,000 miles? Sorry!!!!
RTFA
Quote:
He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs.
I'm assuming "overhauled" means full tear down / rebuild. And even then it needed three engines to get that far.
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #130
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
RTFA

I'm assuming "overhauled" means full tear down / rebuild. And even then it needed three engines to get that far.

Just try to keep up. This guy averaged 50,000 miles a year for 20 years. How are you doing?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #131
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
I would enjoy learning more or seeing HD's with 126000 miles and only basic maint. The high mileage ones I've seen or heard about have had at least the top end overhauled (several times) which to me is not maintenance.
But I have talked with HD guys who think doing the top end is no big deal and they think everybody does it. A local guy has 85000 + on his and has only done the top end twice-he's happy so it doesn't matter to me.
Harleys will do that if nobody messes with the motor. What kills them is people digging into the motor for big bores, valve jobs, cams, etc. I know of a 2003 deuce with about 15,000 miles that been torn down 4 times. 95" kit, diamond cut the cylinders and heads, valve work and cam chain, and now its apart for something else. People can't keep the hands off stuff sometimes.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #132
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
I have 100,000 + km's on my 2001 ducati monster 900, which isn't a huge number, but renders the bike worthless to sell.
I wonder if this is true of most Ducati Monster owners. I was looking for a Monster recently and I've long had a preference for early editions of things over the later versions, as I think that gives you a truer look at what the designer was going for. Cycle Trader has ONE Monster listed from before 2000, out of 462 bikes listed. eBay as 16 listings right now, none from the 90s. I've seen nothing to indicate the early bikes become troublesome as they get older - they just disappear. The model is 20 years old, but "classic" Monsters seem almost non-existent; weird, when you consider how many must be out there.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #133
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Just try to keep up. This guy averaged 50,000 miles a year for 20 years. How are you doing?

True dat. And how many overhauls or whatnot, this guy is/was a rider. And he lives in Wisconsin! There are winters, like this one, where many months are completely unridable. As in zero miles Dec. Jan. Feb. So that he put this kind of mileage on a bike year after year...wow.

And winter is aways a time to do repairs/fix stuff...even for the hobby aspect of it. I gave my bike multi--hour detailing job just cuz I was bored one cold night and I have a heated garage. A few years from now I might do an overhaul...just for the fun of it.

I'm not saying Harley's are going to run 300,000 miles with no issue, but in my short experience they're better and more dependable than some riders realize.

Zien is the real deal, and a true character..This is from the news article:

Zien's bike - with a large, tattered American flag perched in back - often drew admirers when it was parked in front of the Capitol. The motorcycle is covered in writing, such as: "Pro God, pro family, pro gun, pro flag, pro guts, pro fun, pro USA."

He knows how to ride for long stretches. In 2003, he rode 31,000 miles in 31 days leading up to Harley's 100th anniversary party in Milwaukee. He's won awards from the Iron Butt Association for such triumphs as riding 1,500 miles in 24 hours.

He discussed his love of riding recently while wearing a black leather jacket, motorcycle boots, military dog tags, a crucifix and a T-shirt that said: "Jesus Would Have Rode a Harley."

"Riding is actually therapeutic and meditative," he said. "It's like a runner's high."

The Wisconsin Historical Museum had hoped to secure the bike for display.

Safe riding,

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #134
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
I wonder if this is true of most Ducati Monster owners. I was looking for a Monster recently and I've long had a preference for early editions of things over the later versions, as I think that gives you a truer look at what the designer was going for. Cycle Trader has ONE Monster listed from before 2000, out of 462 bikes listed. eBay as 16 listings right now, none from the 90s. I've seen nothing to indicate the early bikes become troublesome as they get older - they just disappear. The model is 20 years old, but "classic" Monsters seem almost non-existent; weird, when you consider how many must be out there.
Remember, though, that Ducs are not high production bikes. And in the '90's they were struggling, they only sold a few thousand a year of all the models put together, with a fraction of a percent of the market. They are out there, but I see most of them get sold through Ducati-specific lists, clubs, forums, etc. If I'm looking to sell a Duc, I'm not going to put it on Craiglist and deal with a bunch of scammers and people who have no idea what it is. I'm going to go to where the Duc people hang out.

PhilB
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #135
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Remember, though, that Ducs are not high production bikes. And in the '90's they were struggling, they only sold a few thousand a year of all the models put together, with a fraction of a percent of the market. They are out there, but I see most of them get sold through Ducati-specific lists, clubs, forums, etc. If I'm looking to sell a Duc, I'm not going to put it on Craiglist and deal with a bunch of scammers and people who have no idea what it is. I'm going to go to where the Duc people hang out.
Hmm. I've read they soid almost a quarter million of the things, so figured you'd see all years around. Were the larger numbers later in production?

I'm on some Ducati forums, and the two 90s bikes I've seen posted recently were pretty rough -both pretty much projects. Not really what I expected from enthusiasts.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote