User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 211
Introducing my Bridgestone Dual Twin 175

After a frustrating week of just missing out due to a variety of situations, on 3 different rare 60's Japanese motorcycles, which were nice surviors deserving of a good home, my consolation prize was a nearly complete but running Bridgestone DT 175 out of Fort Dodge, IA. After searching the forum, it seemed this model, although one of Bridgestone's more popular models, was rarely mentioned. Leading me to believe it is kind of an unknown on this site. So I thought it wouldn't hurt to post some pics of my latest acquisition and describe some of the unique aspects of this model.

The Dual Twin was introduced in 1965 and phased out due to the introduction of a 200cc model in '68.
Here's a few pictures of my 1966 model, at the time I unloaded it. No clean up has been done, but it is apparent that it will need a little help just to be a nice survivor.

The mileage is quite low at 2960 and is accurate, as the original tires thread wear and w/o any cracks indicate.

Paint has a lot of chipping off on the side cover as well as the injection tank. As well as a bit of fading on the tank.

In this picture, you can clearly see that it is a rotary valve twin two stroke, with a mess of cables going to each carburetor through a plumbing nightmare from the air cleaner. New rubber intake boots at both ends and both sides is something which won't be easy to source. The engine has aluminum alloy cylinders and hard-chromed bores, and is attached to one of the most unique transmission's of the era. It is a 4/5 speed, or a dual mode. You can see the lever in this picture which has two positions. One position it is a 5 speed with neutral on the top allowing you to push down your toe to advance all the way to 5th gear which is an overdrive. Move the lever to the other position and you have a 4 speed rotary shift, allowing you to push your toe down for each of the 4 gears and again for neutral and a second time for first gear.

Chrome, overall is in quite good condition, with a bit of acid damage to the right part of the rear fender as well as that muffler. Also on the plus side it is dent free, even got the tool kit with it.
Here I've already got it on the lift to begin an inventory of everything I'll be searching for this winter. Also took out the battery so it can be kept in shape till spring as well.

Here's a link to a Cycle Magazine road test for this model if anyone wishes to see more details on this model.
http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com...s/cyclemag.pdf
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924068
Rizingson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Wow it looks great.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Neighbor had one when I was a kid. Very cool bike.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Very nice looking survivor you have there.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote