User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
GSAragazzi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Eek Crazy Video

Disclaimer: Posting this bc I find it "educational" Ive been riding for more than 20 yrs and sometimes i get complacent. This vid shows guys either giving up or not finishing the turn, giving gas too early at apex, target fixation issues, not understanding countersteering, not looking far down thru intersections or just plain unlucky surrounded by careless BAD cage drivers among other issues. I dont want to say enjoy bc i do not wish this on ANYONE, but please watch. It reminded me of some basics that either Ive forgot or were doing automatic/robotic.
Here it is:

Cheers
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
This vid shows guys either giving up or not finishing the turn, giving gas too early at apex, target fixation issues, not understanding countersteering, not looking far down thru intersections or just plain unlucky surrounded by careless BAD cage drivers among other issues.

The primary "education" which can be derived from this video is that
when you ride like an idiot you might be hurt or killed.

Many of the crashes in this video involved riders doing incredibly
stupid things which did not need to be done.

Riding 30-40mph faster than traffic, in dense traffic, is stupid. Most drivers don't expect such a
speed differential and it is not reasonable to expect them to notice you when you suddenly appear
out of nowhere going significantly faster than traffic. Lane splitting between parked cars and moving cars is
a bad idea because a door opening in your path leaves you NO escape and a crash is nearly certain.
Most of the crashes could easily have been avoided by not riding like an idiot. This is not a riding
"technique" issue, it is a JUDGEMENT issue.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:17 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
So my question for the more experienced riders would be...are videos like this representative of the majority of motorcycle wrecks or do only the dumb, preventable accidents show up on compilations like this? The lion's share of these accidents are caused by the rider. Am I way out on the long tail on the gaussian curve if I don't ride like that?
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
So my question for the more experienced riders would be...are videos like this representative of the majority of motorcycle wrecks or do only the dumb, preventable accidents show up on compilations like this? The lion's share of these accidents are caused by the rider. Am I way out on the long tail on the gaussian curve if I don't ride like that?
Yes, much stupid riding in that video. Riding sanely reduces the risk quite a bit but the fact remains that you're still very exposed on a motorcycle and no matter how careful you are there are still things that can happen which can bite you in the ass - like a deer committing suicide in front of you or a car that makes a sudden very unexpected move.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Yes, much stupid riding in that video. Riding sanely reduces the risk quite a bit but the fact remains that you're still very exposed on a motorcycle and no matter how careful you are there are still things that can happen which can bite you in the ass - like a deer committing suicide in front of you or a car that makes a sudden very unexpected move.

I only watched about ten minutes of that video and I spotted only maybe two or three accidents that I would count as even close to unavoidable. And even then there's likely something that could have been done (better spacing, better pacing, no racing, etc.)

My short list of unavoidable accidents involves the aforementioned deer, the invisible oil slick/ice patch, and the catastrophic cage failure, e.g., if the driver next to me suddenly spills hot coffee on his junk and pulls an insane hard left into my lane, if I'm in an unlucky position, there is nothing I could do to deal with that. BUT, even then, there are steps a rider can take to minimize the risk of being caught in those situations (be more careful riding in deer country at dawn & dusk, know where roads are likely to get slick, and spend as little time as possible in "kill pockets" around other cars and trucks).

You can't eliminate the risk of riding, just as you can't eliminate the risk of anything you do. But old riders are smart riders.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,256
Good god, that was painful to watch. I had to stop when the dude at 15:00 got graphically decapitated. Grim.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
what's sad is I see f0cking shit riding like that here in so cal. motorcycles AND scooters weaving through like they are made of air.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,855
I believe it was the Hurt report that has the numbers at something like 40% of fatalities (not all crashes obviously) are due to alcohol, and about 40% are due to speed greater than the situation allowed. Those are not additive, there is overlap. Conservatively, you could say that if you do not speed and you are not drinking then your odds go up 100% of not having a fatal crash.

So, I watched about 5 minutes of the video, and I think I saw one, maybe two instances where the motorcyclist was doing everything "right". The vast majority the motorcyclist was being very stupid.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,454
too painful did not watch
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
1h 16min 17sec

Is someone having a "crash fetish"?
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
At least 75% rider error, probably more.

Sad, and scarey!

Jim

PS Yes, I watched it all.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
A lot of stupid people riding bikes in this video. Some were unavoidable but most were pure stupidity on the biker. Looking at the footage from Russia, and the bad habits of the cagers would put any decent rider on notice to ride more defensively.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quite interesting - seems to me that there basically three big categories that each crash falls into:

1. Motorcycle being somewhere a car driver didn't expect it to be

2. Target affixation

3. Excessive speed for the road conditions (gravel, ice, leaves etc)

Lessons we can learn from this are:

1. When in traffic, be part of the traffic. Riding "in and out of traffic" can be very safe - perhaps even safer than just moving with the traffic if done right. But don't be "that guy" - if you're always darting between cars and counting on them to stay put or follow a certain path you're going to get hurt sooner or later.

2. Learn proper cornering technique - where to look and how to countersteer.

3. Never exceed the speed limit by more than say 10-20% on roads you don't know. You know the road fine, be careful but you can go a bit faster. You don't know the road? Then respect the road. Pushing the limits on roads you don't know is going to get you hurt.

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 03:50 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 407
You can learn a lot from that video of what NOT to do. It never ceases to amaze me how many stupid people there are out there. You just can't fix stupid.

mflora98ss screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 04:32 PM
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Thank you for the video, Much can be learned. It does seem like the majority of these are rider error.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote