Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I've come to the conclusion that we should ban dash cams. They obviously cause accidents!
I have a dashcam on my bike. So far so good (knocking on wood!). I've seen many videos where it would be impossible to determine the responsible party without the recording. And there is a chance of capturing something interesting from time to time.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Can anyone tell me what is going on at 22:22?

Some weird space craft thing zig zags from where it's sitting 20' above the road to road level.

Just a digital artifact, maybe?

As far as the video goes, yeah - lots of stupid driving by idiots on two wheels and cagers.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
genka
SUV hater

It was a grain harvester

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
This is a new Internet and media phenomena. Fairly rare events get caught on video, photographed or reported and it creates an impression that these events are far more common than they really are. Having said this, the driving culture in Russia is bad. Not the worst in the world, but I'd rather ride through Manhattan.
I do ride in Manhattan on an almost daily basis and I can't say that I'm terribly excited about the prospect of riding back home (Bulgaria). However I'm sure that I won't mind it too much if I were to do it for a couple of weeks.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
Good god, that was painful to watch. I had to stop when the dude at 15:00 got graphically decapitated. Grim.
Agreed, that was my breaking point also. The leg lifelessly twitching was too much. That, and its hard watching human bodies getting tossed around like fucking rag dolls. I'd like to believe its much, much safer not riding in Russia, but I've had plenty of close calls. Just have to keep those eyes peeled and ride sanely.

For what its worth, I prefer stupid riding videos that don't end graphically:

A classic:
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
Agreed, that was my breaking point also. The leg lifelessly twitching was too much. That, and its hard watching human bodies getting tossed around like fucking rag dolls. I'd like to believe its much, much safer not riding in Russia, but I've had plenty of close calls. Just have to keep those eyes peeled and ride sanely.

For what its worth, I prefer stupid riding videos that don't end graphically:

A classic:

I've killed a lot of shit hunting and that scene turned my stomach a bit. Death spasms in a human does not make good viewing material.

I only watched three minutes of this, then saw the 15 minute comment and skipped to that. Yuck. Anybody that watched this shit for an hour probably has a chubby and needs more pills.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Yuck. Anybody that watched this shit for an hour probably has a chubby and needs more pills.

A bit narrow-minded...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #38
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
A bit narrow-minded...

I won't argue that, but this video really doesn't contain any great instructions or advice on how to avoid a crash, except not to ride like a tool. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw quite a few people die or become SEVERELY injured in the few minutes I watched.

While I do like a dose of reality on occasion to reinforce why I ride sanely and the realities of the consequences of my actions, and I like pwned movies as much as the next guy, this video is a bit much.

I've seen and responded to some nasty shit and I just don't see the appeal of watching it. I can't imagine sitting for an hour and sixteen minutes watching people die and get mutilated.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #39
genka
SUV hater

I watched a little bit more of this video and there are not so many russian dashcams clips as in the beginning, so I revise my 90% estimate down to 70%. I agree that on the whole this video serves no purpose other to satisfy someone's sick voyeuristic curiosity. There are some recordings that are valuable educational tools, but they shouldn't be crammed together in hundreds.

This is a good pair:

Bike view

Cage view

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #40
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I have a dashcam on my bike. So far so good (knocking on wood!). I've seen many videos where it would be impossible to determine the responsible party without the recording. And there is a chance of capturing something interesting from time to time.
Care to share what make/model your dashcam is? I've looked around briefly but couldn't seem to fine a decent one for a bike.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
genka
SUV hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
Care to share what make/model your dashcam is? I've looked around briefly but couldn't seem to fine a decent one for a bike.
All dashcams are generic chinese cameras, and it is difficult to understand what you are getting. Often there are fakes of fakes, they may be called the same name, but internals could be completely different.
Currently I have a fake K2000 model, which I don't even take off when it rains. Somehow it is still alive. Similar units can be found on ebay for about $30. The higher quality (video, not assembly) are at least $45. I picked this model primarily because it could be easily mounted on my bike.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #42
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,480
Wow, that's some fine examples of bad riding/driving.
I watched about 20 minutes, couldn't take any more.
Although "Jazzhands" at 19:40 was kinda funny, if you can forget that this is an actual person, not just an image on a computer screen.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
That video scared the poopie out of me.

I guess I missed the decapitation one. Not going to go back and look again.

I watched the video to try and figure out what the riders did to cause the accidents so I don't do the same thing. Most of them were pretty obvious. Cutting lanes, riding WAY too fast for the conditions, not paying attention to the road, the traffic, etc.

The ones that got to me the most were the ones of the sport bikes seeming to do everything right, not going too fast, a fairly good line through a curve, etc. Then, for no good reason, the back tire looses traction, and the rider low-sides and slides on his back all the way to the ditch, sometimes across an opposing lane of traffic. How do I not do that?

I guess there are variables that aren't apparent. Like was the tire brand new, and still had that greasy crap on it? Was there a bit of pea gravel?

Still, I'm going to ride "puckered" for a while thinking about this video.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #44
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,391
I agree it's pretty bad, but the last minute or so is pretty funny.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
What I learned from this is, in Russia if you fuck up on your bike almost everyone has a dash cam!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote