ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #211
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
Anyone have a spare sleeping bag pad I can borrow for the CNR? I have not bought one yet and could use a demo.
So far I always find room for my air mattress and pump. I have tried to sleep on a pad without much luck, and it wasn't much smaller then my air mattress.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #212
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Anyone have a spare sleeping bag pad I can borrow for the CNR? I have not bought one yet and could use a demo.
ummm yah.. i got a thermarest ultralight somewhere... but it isnt what you you want to buy IMHO.. it has served me well for a long time.. but this http://www.rei.com/product/811907/ex...t-ul-7-air-pad is what you want. Smaller, lighter, significantly more comfortable to sleep on.. expensive as hell though. Actually I can bring both, since I will be car camping and sleeping on my queen size inflatable mattress that is assuming I can find both.. pretty sure I can.. I did find one of my long lost automatic knives last week cleaning the garage.. so that was cool....now I am only missing one

If I were you I would be buying a Big Agnes system using your Promotive discount... if I didnt already have a garage full of Mountain Hardwear sleeping bags, I would be buying Big Agnes stuff.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #213
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
[QUOTE=akarob;21186756]I have a GTR tune up. He's good and fast.

This picture shows the stickers well. :-)

[/Q

That's good to hear.Maybe I will be a little faster or at least not so beat up at the end of day.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #214
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
If Matt's doesn't tickle your fancy, I will bring my Big Agnes REM pad for you to sleep on. I plan on using my evazote foam pad under me in the hammock. The pad is 20x78 I think. Can't remember if it's insulated.

I would highly recommend if you are not size-conscious, to look into this pad. http://www.prolitegear.com/prolite-gear-evopad-12.html . Cheap, good insulation/rock protection, and the foam is stickier than most insulating pads (helps to not roll off)
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #215
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
If Matt's doesn't tickle your fancy, I will bring my Big Agnes REM pad for you to sleep on. I plan on using my evazote foam pad under me in the hammock. The pad is 20x78 I think. Can't remember if it's insulated.

I would highly recommend if you are not size-conscious, to look into this pad. http://www.prolitegear.com/prolite-gear-evopad-12.html . Cheap, good insulation/rock protection, and the foam is stickier than most insulating pads (helps to not roll off)
the one great advantage pads have over air mattresses is that they never puncture but they are very large/hard to pack and IMHO not much better than sleeping on the ground in terms of comfort.. they do, however, help you retain body heat very well.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #216
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Close.GTR.Is a guy from Rocky Hill.All he does is KTM specialized in hare scrambles.
nope - same thing - I just fat fingered the phone key board. I have Gilles set-up. I did not want to hype it too much, but usually I describe it as "A Magic Carpet Ride"............

To the big bike crowd - sepcifically the Dakar crowd (T-dub I'm looking at you)
I have a set of used Ankee 21/17 that I will bring with me. If anyone wants them I will trade them straight up for a six pack of something good, or a jar of some sort of spicy condiment.

I also have a used 18" Geomax 51 that I will bring for the scavenger crowd (Chris Riedinger I'm looking at you)........

I am also going to be selling some Dakar left over parts - see my ad in the FM (I don't want to spam this thread for fear that Rob might ban me from posting here). I will be happy to bring anything along to save on shipping - also there is a significant CNR discount available at Red's Beemer Barn.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #217
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post
I also have a used 18" Geomax 51 that I will bring for the scavenger crowd (Chris Riedinger I'm looking at you)........
I will bring things to barter for a tire that is likely never to reach the rim of my DRZ, nor the EXC

On another note, I did begin to tear into the 300's motor the other night. I finally set up the stainless workbench (with ideal overhead lighting) and got some containers to take it all apart cleanly.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #218
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,588
Nice tool pile.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #219
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Nice tool pile.
Hush you, the garage is a long walk, this is in the basement.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #220
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Good luck with it. In a few weeks, you'll probably say "that wasn't so bad after all".
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #221
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Good luck with it. In a few weeks, you'll probably say "that wasn't so bad after all".
I've already found halves of chopped up ball bearings.

I think that idea's long past
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #222
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

I would like to note that while checking out Jaw174's new bike on Saturday we stopped by Cato Corner Farm.

Both sampled some cheeses and bought I think 5 different variants. Made some prime rib burgers later that night to celebrate w/ some of their blue cheese. Smelled like you were eating feet that had trekked the entire Appalachian Trail without a bath. Tasted amazing though.

I am enjoying some dutch farmstead during lunch with some triscuits today

Friendly place.

One word of advice: bring cash. The credit card system is a bit.. unsecure
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #223
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
the one great advantage pads have over air mattresses is that they never puncture but they are very large/hard to pack and IMHO not much better than sleeping on the ground in terms of comfort.. they do, however, help you retain body heat very well.
Here's another one to consider, the REI Camp Bed 3.5" thick . I picked it up last year for our Gaspe and northern NB trip. It's a little thicker, a little wider than a backpacker and comes in two widths (mine is the 25"), and carries well across the rear of the bike with my tent on top of the sidecases. My old bones can't handle those thin, slim backpackers any more!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #224
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Sleeping Pad

OK.. I'll chime in...
I got this one.. REI Stratus for $89.
25 x 77 ... and pricing to satisfy my inner KLR guy....
Seems small enough when packed down...

http://www.rei.com/product/828460/re...ulated-air-pad
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #225
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Ok kids, your GPX file is ready. I've provided it in the first post. Feel free to download it and load it prior to our ride. The route is 100% legal, but please don't advertise it. Lets just keep this to ourselves as much as possible, mmmmm K ?

I've removed the toughest sections so it shouldn't be too horrifying for those on the R1200s, but you will be quite challenged. The final route is 110 miles. Just to give you an idea, that's like riding from the Mt Misery campground to Albany, NY - mostly on unpaved and unmaintained roads. It'll be a good ride.