ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
I'll be riding in with my F650 fully loaded as if for a 1-2 week dual sport touring ride.. Assuming I get the bike back together in time. I put the freshly serviced rear shock back in tonight and installed a new to me swing arm (mine got a little damage on the 2012 Roaming Rally) and I ordered a few more parts today.. Ordering some more stuff tonight..

We could do a big bike challenging ride through most of the southern half of the enduro loop. I've ridden 90% of it with my F650 but usually without luggage.. Except that one time Redbeard talked me into it!

I have a new favorite campfire food cooking system for the car-camp-n-rides that I may haul in for this one as well. Pie Irons!

from grilled cheese to apple pies.. soo good and easy! I'm still looking into dutch oven cooking as well... Especially for baking.. I'm looking forward to the first CNR of the season..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
let me know how that works for ya lol
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy
less the deep water lol....

Yeah, going to need to find some of that
I know of at least one deep stream crossing you could try.. There are plenty of good rutted out mud puddles or the infamous "Green Falls water crossing" as well [search youtube for Green Falls Pachaug].. The difference in Pachaug is that what's under the water is usually deep ruts in mud or just good sized rocks all over the place while at the Roaming Rally you'll hopefully be dealing with an underwater surface that is more consistent, even if it's a hydroline trail where the water crossings were "corduroy'zed" trails. That's when they lay down a bunch of logs in the water perpendicular to the direction of the trail.. like this but under 1-2 feet of murky water..

Up there it's essentially to give the power company's big 4wd vehicles a decent base to work with when traversing the wet areas.. In those scenarios stay as close to the center of the perceived trail as you can and keep a finger on the kill switch...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,401
Yea, seeing how I'm on a big bike now, I'm going to have to think about the Route for this ride. I'll try to put something together as interesting as possible. It'll be good, but I have no idea what it'll be yet.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post

I have a new favorite campfire food cooking system for the car-camp-n-rides that I may haul in for this one as well. Pie Irons!

from grilled cheese to apple pies.. soo good and easy! I'm still looking into dutch oven cooking as well... Especially for baking.. I'm looking forward to the first CNR of the season..
Canned Cherry Pie filling.. a couple of pieces of bread.. some butter.. instant bliss
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
akarob OP
Green Cantern

I was thinking freshly found crawfish, left over hash browns and sausage pie. I have a set of those tins around. They make a good sandwich, but don't always make the trip. I like the campfire garlic bread.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
P 0 P E Y E
Bald rider

Oddometer: 113
Got the text

Collar bone fixed Rob?

I think I might be able to make it.

Which to take Ktm on hitch rail or Harley? The suburban is lux camping

Remember, you promissed to let a bald older person test ride the beast
P 0 P E Y E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
I'll be riding in with my F650 fully loaded as if for a 1-2 week dual sport touring ride.. Assuming I get the bike back together in time. I put the freshly serviced rear shock back in tonight and installed a new to me swing arm (mine got a little damage on the 2012 Roaming Rally) and I ordered a few more parts today.. Ordering some more stuff tonight..

We could do a big bike challenging ride through most of the southern half of the enduro loop. I've ridden 90% of it with my F650 but usually without luggage.. Except that one time Redbeard talked me into it!

I gave my Ole lady a dutch oven yesterday!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
I gave my Ole lady a dutch oven yesterday!
Really? your a brave man! http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmg&cad=rja
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #25
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 691
I have been telling people to buy these in my disaster prep for home owners course for years. With no power and no means of cooking anybody can find a place to make a campfire in their yard. These and some bread and pretty much anything that is left in the pantry and you have a meal.

Try olive oil instead of butter, bread, corned beef hash with an egg broken over it then the other slice of bread. Best breakfast sandwich ever

Quote:

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #26
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
Sadly, having worked with some 20-something's, I had heard about this and that thought passed through my mind when I read Seals post.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 691
I may actually make it to this one for a night. Still wating for the last day/time for my Daughtrers dance comp that weekend and I dont know when the BTR work parties will be but I can at least ge tthere for Saturday evening to hang.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #28
akarob OP
Green Cantern

We usually get in some riding Sunday morning as well. We've even done a night ride or two, but people are usually more interested in relaxing with a few cold1s areound the fire at that point.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
swathman
wood tick

Oddometer: 53
Did someone say "crawfish"?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I was thinking freshly found crawfish, left over hash browns and sausage pie. I have a set of those tins around. They make a good sandwich, but don't always make the trip. I like the campfire garlic bread.
One man's crawfish is another man's crayfish... and yet another man's crawdad...
(also known as a "poor man's lobstah")

...food for thought
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathman View Post
One man's crawfish is another man's crayfish... and yet another man's crawdad...
(also known as a "poor man's lobstah")

...food for thought
Yea, next time share ok?