ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #316
CBejbl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Congrats on the new bike Terry. Sweet ride!
CBejbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #317
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
In case anyone needs it, ive got access to a garage with a HF tire changing stand about 5 miles from Patchaug.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #318
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Chris.. I don't know what you were planning to use with the hitch you eventually get for your TDI but I got this coupon from harbor freight today...

$99.99 and it can supposedly haul a KLR650 (as shown in the listing) which I am pretty sure weighs over their 400# rating! I personally wouldn't put a KLR on that hitch hauler but that's just me... I tend to scale back HF ratings by at least 10%-20% if not more... Mr. T and others have been using that hitch hauler to move trail bikes with no major problems for quite a while though.. It's not the best but the price is right..

Sooooo... I can't put a bike ON my car

I was trying to buy a Curt 1 1/4" with a 200/2000lb rating (tongue/gross), but after I completed the purchase the seller ( etrailer.com thru ebay) calls me and let's me know that the hitch I purchased (advertised for my car) will not be compatible with my car. They want another 50$. Sooooo I gave him a lecture about how he's doing bait and switch and in my state that is illegal.

Im giving myself a cooldown period and I will likely just buy the hitch, 'euro hitch mount' and the wiring harness as seperate items (and not from etrailer.com). I was somewhat joking about the bosal/westfalia hitch as they seem ridiculously expensive, but could probably be persuaded to buy that instead.

I have a small enclosed, and a small 4x6 HF trailer I was planning to pull with my car.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #319
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post

I was trying to buy a Curt 1 1/4" with a 200/2000lb rating (tongue/gross), but after I completed the purchase the seller ( etrailer.com thru ebay) calls me and let's me know that the hitch I purchased (advertised for my car) will not be compatible with my car. They want another 50$. Sooooo I gave him a lecture about how he's doing bait and switch and in my state that is illegal.

Im giving myself a cooldown period and I will likely just buy the hitch, 'euro hitch mount' and the wiring harness as seperate items (and not from etrailer.com). I was somewhat joking about the bosal/westfalia hitch as they seem ridiculously expensive, but could probably be persuaded to buy that instead.

I have a small enclosed, and a small 4x6 HF trailer I was planning to pull with my car.
Uhaul will install a hitch on a Jetta TDI for $350, including wiring harness, 2000lb capacity... I know because I am lazy :)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #320
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Uhaul will install a hitch on a Jetta TDI for $350, including wiring harness, 2000lb capacity... I know because I am lazy :)
Yeah if I wanted to pay that much I would have bought the Bosal hitch
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #321
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Yeah if I wanted to pay that much I would have bought the Bosal hitch
can you link me to a bosal hitch for $350?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #322
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:

surprising. i have bought many items directly from etrailer (don't even bother with ebay), and have had nothing but great service from them. have talked to them on the phone several times, and they have been very friendly.

and Curt hitches are great. i put one on my camry that is rated for 3500#s (like that will ever happen, the car can barely move itself), and have hauled the jetski to FL and back with it twice now. easiest to install hitch i have ever done, and great quality.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #323
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
can you link me to a bosal hitch for $350?
What's $80?

The thing is- this hitch is FAR superior to the curt/draw-tite type hitch due to it not sticking below the rear valence when the ball/swan is not installed.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=845
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #324
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
In case anyone needs it, ive got access to a garage with a HF tire changing stand about 5 miles from Patchaug.
Hope I don't need it.my front tire was fine last sat.took bike on truck Sunday and tire was flat
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #325
SKJ
The Canary

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post
Not too funny, his check hasn't cleared yet!
Wooo... Had me going for a minute lol
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #326
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
What's $80?

The thing is- this hitch is FAR superior to the curt/draw-tite type hitch due to it not sticking below the rear valence when the ball/swan is not installed.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=845
I thought you needed an additional rear bumper "cover" if you wanted that to look clean.. another couple of hundred bucks.. plus no way I could install that thing on my own,,, and a wiring harness... cheapest I could find the whole deal was like 600 bucks shipped..

edit: it was either buy the new bumper cover or take a sawsall to the current one.

mrt10x screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 11:05 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #327
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Amazon has a few hitches all about $150

They look like bolt on

depending on your tail lights wiring should be easy
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #328
1Banshesrt10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Will any guys be riding on sunday with small bikes ?
1Banshesrt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #329
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 959
Anyone from central CT planning on heading out around noon Friday? Let's ride down together.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #330
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Banshesrt10 View Post
Will any guys be riding on sunday with small bikes ?
I may stick around for a ride.Depending on how beat up I get Saturday. And how hungover too.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote