ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #61
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Hows the knee doing?
It hurt some riding and the next day.Hurt less than less ride so guess its getting better.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Happy Seal's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CT.
Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Roads View Post
My wife works for Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, so yeah, I'll bring you something local! Take a look at their website and let me know what you'd like. Schooner is highly recommended. www.hazlitt1852.comShe works at their "new" facility in Naples, called Red Cat Cellars, which is very close to where we live. I'll also bring along a pouch of Red Cat to share with the group...it's their hot tub party wine. I've got just the one bike, a Honda XR650L. I enjoy "givin' 'er" but she's just too heavy and tall for 5 miles of baby heads! I don't mind doing short sections though. Nice to hear the weather is so much milder there. I am looking forward to it.
There are bypasses for the real hard sections and the group usually will stop before the section to give the new guys a heads up about what's ahead.
__________________
with his videos I've been able to crash into trees even faster than before. ( Darius re Shane Watts)
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #63
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirt Roads's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Finger Lakes Region, NY
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
There are bypasses for the real hard sections and the group usually will stop before the section to give the new guys a heads up about what's ahead.
Good to know. Much appreciated.

Since it'll be kind of a long haul in a short weekend, I'm going to drive the truck out. Last night my wife twisted my arm till I agreed to buy a bike carrier that mounts in the truck's hitch. Ought to be pretty convenient; we'll see.
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go
 
Drewha's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tolland,Ct
Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Roads View Post
Good to know. Much appreciated.

Since it'll be kind of a long haul in a short weekend, I'm going to drive the truck out. Last night my wife twisted my arm till I agreed to buy a bike carrier that mounts in the truck's hitch. Ought to be pretty convenient; we'll see.
Cycle Gear is advertizing one for $99 bucks I think. 50% off or something.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...aign=aprilecat
__________________
08 Husqvarna TE 610
04 Ducati ST3
Drewha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #65
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,329
You're free to ride with anyone you want, but the ride I'll be leading will not include any trails remotely that difficult. Most of the people coming to this ride will be bringing the "big girls".

I just broke down and got a Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad today. Being new to the whole sleeping pad thing, I'm pretty impressed. Upon initial opening, it didn't puff up too much on it's own - but with a few deep breaths, I finished inflating it and it's quite firm. It packs down to about half the size of my uncompressed sleeping bag too, which is nice.

I also spent some time modifying my new (to me) soft bags so they will mount to the luggage racks. They were Swedish military surplus backpacks originally. It's coming along well and I should have them mounted tomorrow. I'll most likely post up a picture, but you can check them out in person soon enough. I really couldn't be happier with how they turned out. It's too much to describe in words, but I'll be happy to show them off to anyone willing to listen.

I'm planning a full weekend (Fri, Sat & part of Sun) of exploring and pre-riding the trails too. If anyone of the locals would like to join me, that would be fine - just expect a disorganized day with lots of stops to fiddle with the GPS mixed with some (hopefully) enjoyable riding sprinkled in. Here's to a great weekend.

akarob screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 06:31 PM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #66
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,501
I like new people and new places. I want to check out the logistics and look into coming out. :)

greg
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #67
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,329
Wow, that's a hike from PA - but if you want to come up and relax in the woods with us, do it. It's a nice park we camp in I assure you. Secluded, but close to things at the same time. The rangers let us make a good fire and hang out as long as you want. I'll update the first post in the thread for the new-comers with the exact place to turn into the park. If you do decide to make the trip, PM me for my phone number, just in case you need it.

I'm still working out a route for the Saturday ride. By the campout, I'll have something really enjoyable put together - and pre-ridden on my 990. It'll incorporate a lot of dirt roads, mostly maintained. That means there will be a few challenging spots for the big bikes - but nothing to be afraid of, no deep water crossings. I'm actually heading out tomorrow to check out some new terrain, and looking forward to it.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #68
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bikenstitches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast CT
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I like new people and new places. I want to check out the logistics and look into coming out. :)

greg
I've done a few PA camp-n-rides; you won't be disappointed. Going outside your home base just adds to the adventure!
__________________
Tom
Bikenstitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #69
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,329
1st post is updated with directions.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #70
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirt Roads's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Finger Lakes Region, NY
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I like new people and new places. I want to check out the logistics and look into coming out. :)

greg
Pennsylvania certainly has its share of great riding, but I agree, it's nice checking out new faces and places. See you there!
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #71
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 360
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
You're free to ride with anyone you want, but the ride I'll be leading will not include any trails remotely that difficult. Most of the people coming to this ride will be bringing the "big girls".

I just broke down and got a Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad today. Being new to the whole sleeping pad thing, I'm pretty impressed. Upon initial opening, it didn't puff up too much on it's own - but with a few deep breaths, I finished inflating it and it's quite firm. It packs down to about half the size of my uncompressed sleeping bag too, which is nice.

I also spent some time modifying my new (to me) soft bags so they will mount to the luggage racks. They were Swedish military surplus backpacks originally. It's coming along well and I should have them mounted tomorrow. I'll most likely post up a picture, but you can check them out in person soon enough. I really couldn't be happier with how they turned out. It's too much to describe in words, but I'll be happy to show them off to anyone willing to listen.

I'm planning a full weekend (Fri, Sat & part of Sun) of exploring and pre-riding the trails too. If anyone of the locals would like to join me, that would be fine - just expect a disorganized day with lots of stops to fiddle with the GPS mixed with some (hopefully) enjoyable riding sprinkled in. Here's to a great weekend.
I like my girls light and skinny. Easier to throw around.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #72
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NJ, Bergen Co..
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
I like my girls light and skinny. Easier to throw around.
Now you do know that's not nice right
__________________
08 WR250F
07 G650 X Challenge
Bergen Co, NJ
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #73
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
Now you do know that's not nice right
WE all knew he was talking about his lady bikes
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #74
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO
 
Capt. REDBEARD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: buzzards bay
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I'm planning a full weekend (Fri, Sat & part of Sun) of exploring and pre-riding the trails too. If anyone of the locals would like to join me, that would be fine - just expect a disorganized day with lots of stops to fiddle with the GPS mixed with some (hopefully) enjoyable riding sprinkled in. Here's to a great weekend.
I have not been riding very much lately - and if I am not out of town for work I was planing on getting out there Thursday night or Friday am and letting the 2 stroke rip for a double loop Friday and the same on Saturday (if not super hung sat AM).
__________________
1976 R60/6, 2009 530 EXC, 2008 250 XC, 2004 950 ADV

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #75
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewha View Post
Cycle Gear is advertizing one for $99 bucks I think. 50% off or something.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...aign=aprilecat

Down to $89

while clicking around on the site and similar products I just came up on something that I have not considered before

Quote:
The tongue weight of a receiver-type hitch is rated at the normal distance from the ball to the end of the receiver. Most carriers of this type are approximately double that distance, so the load rating is normally reduced by half. For example, a hitch rated to 500 lbs. will only carry about 250 lbs. (113 kg)
Doing the math I need roughly a 10,000-12,000 lb hitch to carry a full size motorcycle: Bike (wet) ~450 lbs + carrier itself ~50 lbs =~500 lbs and will require 1,000 pound tongue weight rating, which is generally 10% of the hitch capacity.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014