ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #91
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn
 
CO-or-bust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Temporary: Jersey (long story...), Goal: 'rado
Oddometer: 166
Question Suggestions for get-me-there-AND-trail-worthy tires???

First off, I'm in and REALLY excited about it!!!

I have a new-to-me '09 Husky TE610 (Yeah!!!!! ) and I picked this particular bike cuz I'm hoping it proves to be the right tool for get-me-the-three-hours-to-get-TO-the-good-trails AND THEN be able to Ride those great trails, fairly aggressively ... (I know, I can hear many of you already --- "Ride a 610 'fairly aggressively'???" --- I'm comparing it to 990's, F800's, not 250 trail bikes...). I'm not a kid and I don't need to go crazy on the trails, but as a point of reference, when I ski I spend 100% of my time on black and double black diamonds...

She has Pirelli MT 21's, both front and back. Front has about 75%+ life but the rear is probably at about 40%. Looking for suggestions. Will be riding 300+ miles round trip to Pauchaug, then another 300+ round trip to the Berkshire Big Adventure ride in mid May, the Trans New Jersey Trail, and then 300-500-600 miles to.................. I'll be geared up with my FULL camping gear (Giant Loop Great Basin, etc.).

Any and all help will be MUCH appreciated! (Oh, and leaning towards DIRT oriented tires. Will sacrifice some "comfort" on the street for more dirt-worthiness, but do need the tires that won't have their knobbies eaten on the many miles of tarmac...)

Thanks!
__________________
"And when we add the score at the end of this life, I wanna say I won the game." - from "Roll if ya' fall" by Barefoot Truth
CO-or-bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #92
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,307
You'll be fine wherever you go in Pachaug using a Rally Cross MT-21. You could get into some mud, but nothing to be worried about. I've done the whole loop a couple times on the MT90s. If you ride with the big bikes, you'll be avoiding the worst of it too. There will be at least a couple people showing up that want to do the black diamond trails, if you want to give that a go.

akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #93
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NJ, Bergen Co..
Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by COorbust View Post
First off, I'm in and REALLY excited about it!!!

I have a new-to-me '09 Husky TE610 (Yeah!!!!! ) and I picked this particular bike cuz I'm hoping it proves to be the right tool for get-me-the-three-hours-to-get-TO-the-good-trails AND THEN be able to Ride those great trails, fairly aggressively ... (I know, I can hear many of you already --- "Ride a 610 'fairly aggressively'???" --- I'm comparing it to 990's, F800's, not 250 trail bikes...). I'm not a kid and I don't need to go crazy on the trails, but as a point of reference, when I ski I spend 100% of my time on black and double black diamonds...

She has Pirelli MT 21's, both front and back. Front has about 75%+ life but the rear is probably at about 40%. Looking for suggestions. Will be riding 300+ miles round trip to Pauchaug, then another 300+ round trip to the Berkshire Big Adventure ride in mid May, the Trans New Jersey Trail, and then 300-500-600 miles to.................. I'll be geared up with my FULL camping gear (Giant Loop Great Basin, etc.).

Any and all help will be MUCH appreciated! (Oh, and leaning towards DIRT oriented tires. Will sacrifice some "comfort" on the street for more dirt-worthiness, but do need the tires that won't have their knobbies eaten on the many miles of tarmac...)

Thanks!
where in nj?? I'm looking for someone to DS with on 650s in the rocks by me...
__________________
08 WR250F
07 G650 X Challenge
Bergen Co, NJ
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #94
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn
 
CO-or-bust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Temporary: Jersey (long story...), Goal: 'rado
Oddometer: 166
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
where in nj?? I'm looking for someone to DS with on 650s in the rocks by me...

Morris County - Boonton, so not far from Bergen. Would love to find some local riders + trails! Can't always be riding 300+ miles to ride...
__________________
"And when we add the score at the end of this life, I wanna say I won the game." - from "Roll if ya' fall" by Barefoot Truth
CO-or-bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #95
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Oddometer: 3,097
I will probably take the big bike down Sat for a little bs'ing.

Man you should check your netra schedule before planning..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #96
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bikenstitches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast CT
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
where in nj?? I'm looking for someone to DS with on 650s in the rocks by me...
I grew up in Bergen County. We had to go to the meadowlands(pre-Giants stadium), pine barrens or PA to ride!
__________________
Tom
Bikenstitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #97
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,307
Something for you all to consider - lunch. Where do you guys feel like stopping? My personal suggestion is 5 Guys in Mystic. There's a Starbucks next door too. If you have any suggestions, throw them in the hat. I'll decide in a week or so.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #98
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn
 
CO-or-bust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Temporary: Jersey (long story...), Goal: 'rado
Oddometer: 166
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
I grew up in Bergen County. We had to go to the meadowlands(pre-Giants stadium), pine barrens or PA to ride!
Pine Barrens and PA --- Yup. Hoping to find some stuff a little closer (but I'm not holding my breath...).
__________________
"And when we add the score at the end of this life, I wanna say I won the game." - from "Roll if ya' fall" by Barefoot Truth
CO-or-bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #99
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NJ, Bergen Co..
Oddometer: 1,453
I'm 20 miles from rock hell best riding in NJ makes PA look easy.. got some good stuff for the 650s. pm me and we can hit some it one day...
__________________
08 WR250F
07 G650 X Challenge
Bergen Co, NJ
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #100
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NJ, Bergen Co..
Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Something for you all to consider - lunch. Where do you guys feel like stopping? My personal suggestion is 5 Guys in Mystic. There's a Starbucks next door too. If you have any suggestions, throw them in the hat. I'll decide in a week or so.
Your pick is fine with me... Someone may need beer not coffee
__________________
08 WR250F
07 G650 X Challenge
Bergen Co, NJ
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #101
grind
Thinking
 
grind's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Champlain Valley of Vermont
Oddometer: 248
I'm in.

Can anyone tell me a little more about the camping sites? Grassy fields? Wooded? Picnic tables? Also, according to the state web site it says there are only 22 sites available on a first come first served basis. No reservations accepted?
__________________
Life is a story. Make yours worth telling.
grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #102
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...
 
motogo1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: CT
Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by COorbust View Post
First off, I'm in and REALLY excited about it!!!

I have a new-to-me '09 Husky TE610 (Yeah!!!!! ) and I picked this particular bike cuz I'm hoping it proves to be the right tool for get-me-the-three-hours-to-get-TO-the-good-trails AND THEN be able to Ride those great trails, fairly aggressively ...
Thanks!
I have an 06 TE610 with over 20,000 miles on it. Trust me, it's the right tool for the job. From all the Pachaug trails to as many road miles as you want to do. My tires recommendation is a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the rear. It will be good for 95% of the riding you do from rocks to 100+ on the highway. Lasts a long time too. Front is up to you. MT21 is a good choice. Be careful of breaking the rear subframe with too much weight. There is a TE610 owners thread with all the info you could possibly want on Advrider.
__________________
5 of'em. Yes, I need 5.
motogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #103
akarob OP
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,307
That is correct. The sites have a picnic table and a fire pit. Up to 6 people can camp at each site. They are fairly decent sized, semi private, wooded sites. I'll have one or two sites reserved Friday afternoon for everyone, overflow will have to fill in remaining sites. 2 or 3 sites should do it. It's about $14 for residents, so it's best to let a local put their name on the site and then just chip in on the cost.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #104
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirt Roads's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Finger Lakes Region, NY
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
. It's about $14 for residents, so it's best to let a local put their name on the site and then just chip in on the cost.
Works for me! Camping sure isn't as cheap as it used to be.
Five guys is good, but really, anything would be.
Really, really, really looking forward to this.
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #105
alcontrast
at least I'm trying
 
alcontrast's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: central CT, USA
Oddometer: 1,533
If I can get there relatively early I try to grab a site adjacent to the one or two Rob has claimed.. If I get there late others from ADV usually grab an extra site or two so there has always been enough space for tents and bikes.. If a lot of people haul their bikes in (reccommended if you want to focus on hard core trail riding) with a truck or trailer you may have to unload at a campsite and park your vehicle a short distance away in a larger parking area.. They have a limit of 2 or 3 cars/trucks per site but no limit for bikes parked at a site.. Well, perhaps there is a limit for bikes but we haven't reached it yet!
__________________

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014