Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,657
As a fellow Chicagoan, I give you lots of props for riding year 'round. But, I'm not confident in OTHER'S abilities to not crash into me during snow storms. Hence my scoot stays in the garage until morning temps are around freezing. Normally, I would be riding this week but Winter seems to be hanging on longer than normal, this year. I hope you wash your scoot often, the road salt is going to eat up all of the pretty metals (sadly). Be Safe.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Dave View Post
Thanks, I totally dig the crazy weather!
Biggest thing is to be confident in your abilities.
When my co-workers with the BIG bikes
Put theirs away, I'm still scootin along.
Hardcore? Thanks

Gas... $360 for the whole year.

Thanks for props.
If you don't ride in bad weather you never get better at riding in bad weather. When I get up each morning and decide if I will ride the bike that day I ask myself 1 simple question. Am I breathing? Because if I'm breathing I'm riding. It's worked for me since'89 so I guess I'll keep asking the question.

I know it's S.C. and we don't get much snow but we do get plenty of sleet and freezing rain (oh, and very few road scrapers or sanders). Remember, if you live your entire life and end up with no cool stories to tell, did you ever really live?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Chitown Dave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cool2

Rugby4Life,

I agree.
I have had my share of falls in my youth. I learned to take chances and learned to get better.

I agree with Bronco638 too. If you are concerned, with good reason, then better not to chance it.

I am confident in my skills, as well as my ability to scout for possible danger. Take as many risks out of the equation as possible and then go forward.

I have a wife and son to come home to everyday.

from zero to sixty on my Blur 220i
http://youtu.be/kfWr9SigwkE

Question?
Why cant I embed video like others?

BTW, Ruby4life, I like your BMW...Its soooo cool it produces its own ice.
Chitown Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life
I'm kind of surprised you've never gotten ticketed for parking along side a reserved spot (esp. one for people that have physical disabilities that would require the extra space for ingress/egress). Isn't there some other place where you could park so you don't inconvenience someone who needs the extra room? Granted, I see there's a lot of other spaces available but I wonder how a LEO would handle that. And, I will mention that this is a little personal as my mother-in-law had to deal with restricted mobility.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I'm kind of surprised you've never gotten ticketed for parking along side a reserved spot (esp. one for people that have physical disabilities that would require the extra space for ingress/egress). Isn't there some other place where you could park so you don't inconvenience someone who needs the extra room? Granted, I see there's a lot of other spaces available but I wonder how a LEO would handle that. And, I will mention that this is a little personal as my mother-in-law had to deal with restricted mobility.
Before you get too self righteous and presumptuous you may want to look at the license plate on one of my other bikes since the BMW plate is just out of frame.

I use this spot every day at work to leave open one of the limited handicapped spots in the lot for others who may need it. I also park to the rear of the spot and angled away from the driver's door of the car next to me. The same guy parks in that space 90% of the time and considers me considerate for not taking up a full space and making someone else hike from the lower lot. BTW, the reason you see a lot of empty spaces is because the plant had just shut down due to the growing ice storm and I was one of the last to leave.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Bronco638
Nobody Home

I was trying very hard not to be "too self righteous and presumptuous" and wondered if, in deed, your license plate may have allowed you to park there. However, as you pointed out, it's just out of the frame. I apologize for not making my attitude more clear. Maybe next time you won't assume the worst, from me at least.

Nice DR. 650? I have one of those as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was trying very hard not to be "too self righteous and presumptuous" and wondered if, in deed, your license plate may have allowed you to park there. However, as you pointed out, it's just out of the frame. I apologize for not making my attitude more clear. Maybe next time you won't assume the worst, from me at least.

Nice DR. 650? I have one of those as well.
No sweat Bronco, I just get tired of explaining the concept of a bike with a handicap plate. As I told the DMV clerk, all of my bikes have engines so I don't have to peddle them with my bad leg. I may be busted up but I aint dead yet. I had to let the DR go, my knees just couldn't take the pounding off road. There went the last of my delusions of youth. I tried to build it into a poor mans R1200GS and it was great on the Gelände but not so much on the Strasse.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
2WheelDuende
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Awesome ChiTown Dave! I put my scooter away in Jan, and planning to get it out this weekend. I finally got a new front tire last weekend.
2WheelDuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #24
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I really dont think winter riding in the southern state of South Carolina is anything remotly close to Michigan or Chitown Daves comutes but Im glad people are riding year round.
ChiTOwn Dave tell me about your winter riding gear, what are you using to stay warm or is your commute not crazy long enough so that you can get by with regular winter gloves and the like. I struggle with keeping fingers warm unless Im using the GS with grip warmers.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #25
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
While I appreciate you challenging the elements I really feel the combination of ice/snow and traffic is not worth the risk. Everyone has their own threshold for risk, that said, I think you are playing with fire. I'm a year round rider myself but sometimes you have to know when to say when.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #26
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life
No sweat Bronco, I just get tired of explaining the concept of a bike with a handicap plate. As I told the DMV clerk, all of my bikes have engines so I don't have to peddle them with my bad leg. I may be busted up but I aint dead yet. I had to let the DR go, my knees just couldn't take the pounding off road. There went the last of my delusions of youth. I tried to build it into a poor mans R1200GS and it was great on the Gelände but not so much on the Strasse.
Sorry to hear about the DR (having to go). I have abused my knees too much but I'm not as bad off as you sound to be. I'm glad that you're still able to enjoy riding. Be careful in that SC ice, if/when it does come.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
I really dont think winter riding in the southern state of South Carolina is anything remotly close to Michigan or Chitown Daves comutes but Im glad people are riding year round.
ChiTOwn Dave tell me about your winter riding gear, what are you using to stay warm or is your commute not crazy long enough so that you can get by with regular winter gloves and the like. I struggle with keeping fingers warm unless Im using the GS with grip warmers.
True enough we don't get nearly as much snow but we also don't have snow removal equipment you do. In addition, nobody down here knows how to drive in the snow. It seems that the more snow that falls, the more people's driving IQ falls. Our biggest winter issue is freezing rain / sleet, besides, I'm not trying to get into a snow drift measuring contest, just letting CD know he's not alone. as for the cold fingers, my favorite glove for long distance cold riding is a goose down mitten. It's not much on crash protection but keeping the fingers together sharing heat really helps. I'm searching for a good pair of lobster claw mittens so I can have the benefits of mittens with the ability to 2-finger brake.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
Chitown Dave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Pissed Winter Clothes

I agree, everyone has a risk factor they are willing to accept. Mine is certainly different than others, and there are others who make my riding look soft. Snow or otherwise.

I love riding! :)

I did two short reviews on my YouTube channel.
My jacket and pants. Next I'll review my boots.
I am satisfied with my combination of gear.

It is my first and second attempts at reviews. So please, laugh along with me.

Thanks
Chitown

There is ONE BIG SECRET to staying warm (no, not staying home)
Cayenne pepper capsules. They are good for you in many ways. They
Don't burn your mouth, but they will warm you from the inside out!
Big difference with and without. I've been using them for years.
Chitown Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
True enough we don't get nearly as much snow but we also don't have snow removal equipment you do. In addition, nobody down here knows how to drive in the snow. It seems that the more snow that falls, the more people's driving IQ falls. Our biggest winter issue is freezing rain / sleet, besides, I'm not trying to get into a snow drift measuring contest, just letting CD know he's not alone. as for the cold fingers, my favorite glove for long distance cold riding is a goose down mitten. It's not much on crash protection but keeping the fingers together sharing heat really helps. I'm searching for a good pair of lobster claw mittens so I can have the benefits of mittens with the ability to 2-finger brake.
I ended up buying a set of Tucano Urbano grip muffs while I was in France last November. Holy cow do they work well! I rode with my "mid weight" Spring/Fall gloves while temps were in the 20s & 30s. Granted, they may not be easy to get in the US (or not available at all) but Hippo Hands uses the same concept (get your fingers out of the wind stream and they'll keep warm). Tusk even makes a "cheapie" set that I've used (and they work) but aren't quite as waterproof (and don't fit on the handle bars as nicely).

Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I ended up buying a set of Tucano Urbano grip muffs while I was in France last November. Holy cow do they work well! I rode with my "mid weight" Spring/Fall gloves while temps were in the 20s & 30s. Granted, they may not be easy to get in the US (or not available at all) but Hippo Hands uses the same concept (get your fingers out of the wind stream and they'll keep warm). Tusk even makes a "cheapie" set that I've used (and they work) but aren't quite as waterproof (and don't fit on the handle bars as nicely).
I've always wondered if those actually worked without interfering with the levers. My other issue is that when I'm racking up mikes on the highway, I like to tale my right hand off the grip and rest it on my leg to give it a break (Carpel Tunnel). If they work that well I may have to give them a try next winter.