ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.45%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 107 36.39%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.78%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.37%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #136
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig
Slipknot your not altogether wrong, but who else would take themselves this seriously, its almost a form of Narcissism mixed with "mines bigger than yours" to much time,money and now the internet were we all let the world know how important, involved,concerned we all are, and lots of us ride more than some of those other brand owners.
But hey they're alot more interesting than the engineers who all agree that the Honda VFR was the greatest motorcycle ever designed and the rest of the world would be much happier if we all owned one.DB


Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #137
Gusgus
Banned
 
Gusgus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Su Valley, Alaska
Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjora
illusive - an ill illusion???
elusive - the thing you can't find..
elude - to escape
elysium - state of great happiness

the elusive elydium eluded me.... and still does....
Thanks, I'll try to remember that.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #138
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
Returning from a ~5000Km trip I noticed a high pitch wine, which at first I thought was just a tire-noise echo from the Jersey barriers. Sound gets much louder on deceleration. Drove another 250 KMs to home.

Found a lot of black fuzz on the mag plug, with some very fine silver wafers (assume peeling chromium from the balls or races). No discernible play at 6 & 9, nor roughness when rotating the wheel.

Put in fresh gear oil and did a spirited 100 Km yesterday. Whine seems louder particularly on deceleration from 100 down to 75 kph. It is hard to pin point the location of the noise with a helmet on, it seems to be emanating from the entire bike.

Checked the mag plug and once again covered with black fuzz, but this time there are much more fine silver wafers. Still no play, but I can feel roughness.

Pulled the final drive apart and the balls and races are severely spalled on the large bearing. The taper bearing appears healthy. Seals never leaked a drop.

Oh well at least its close to the end of riding season for this year.
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #139
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
Returning from a ~5000Km trip I noticed a high pitch wine, which at first I thought was just a tire-noise echo from the Jersey barriers. Sound gets much louder on deceleration. Drove another 250 KMs to home.

Found a lot of black fuzz on the mag plug, with some very fine silver wafers (assume peeling chromium from the balls or races). No discernible play at 6 & 9, nor roughness when rotating the wheel.

Put in fresh gear oil and did a spirited 100 Km yesterday.
Were you expecting a fluid replacement to fix the problem?
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #140
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Were you expecting a fluid replacement to fix the problem?
Mighta been hoping it was just normal collection of fuzz over a long period of time...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #141
Gusgus
Banned
 
Gusgus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Su Valley, Alaska
Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Were you expecting a fluid replacement to fix the problem?
MAN, are you tough on the guy.
He changed the oil as any sane mechanic would have, to rate the amount of damage, it is a needed step to change the oil, re-run and check it again.

It is how I have always done after metal is found in the oil. This is required troubleshooting with aircraft engines, from Cessna 120's thru Boeing 747's. And you might have guessed it is the maintenance manuals which suggests that proceedure.

I'd bet you would have slammed him if he didn't troubleshoot it, riiight? Just tore it apart and found nothing, what a fool he would have been,,,, then.

Lighten up and allow those guys who are doing anything at all, even if it is wrong, to help others find a method to figure this shit out.

Since BMW hasn't positively addressed the loyal BMW owners troubles,we all really need to be suportive of each other, don't you think?
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #142
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Oddometer: 1,054
Well, I'm sorry to hear your bearings went bad. I am glad to know it did not fail on you suddenly, in a curve, leaned over at 70mph and on the gas... That was exciting...

Just out of curiousity, how many miles on yours when it went? My GS only had 28K miles on it when it came apart without any warning.
__________________
Scott Friday
05 BMW R1200 GS - 10 KTM 530 EXC

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #143
davebig
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,756
Gear Lube

Baba, What sort of gear lube had you been using,and how often had you changed it? Thanks, you have my sympathy.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #144
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Were you expecting a fluid replacement to fix the problem?
No, just a standard procedure when checking mag plugs. I wanted to be sure it was making metal, and not just normal wear.

We used the same procedure on helicopter gearboxes....if you can't read a part number on the chunk, then it'll make it back to base.
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #145
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Mighta been hoping it was just normal collection of fuzz over a long period of time...
Correct
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #146
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Well, I'm sorry to hear your bearings went bad. I am glad to know it did not fail on you suddenly, in a curve, leaned over at 70mph and on the gas... That was exciting...

Just out of curiousity, how many miles on yours when it went? My GS only had 28K miles on it when it came apart without any warning.
24233 miles on mine.
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #147
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig
Baba, What sort of gear lube had you been using,and how often had you changed it? Thanks, you have my sympathy.DB
I was using Klotz 90 Gear Oil. I have always been a fan of Klotz products and do not think it has anything to do with the failure. My log book is out in the garage, so I can't tell you the exact frequency of oil changes, but I am pedantic about all fluid changes so it would average around ever second oil change or about every 6000 miles.

The last change was the first time the fluid actually showed a colour change.
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #148
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
MAN, are you tough on the guy.


I'd bet you would have slammed him if he didn't troubleshoot it, riiight? Just tore it apart and found nothing, what a fool he would have been,,,, then.

Lighten up and allow those guys who are doing anything at all, even if it is wrong, to help others find a method to figure this shit out.

Since BMW hasn't positively addressed the loyal BMW owners troubles,we all really need to be suportive of each other, don't you think?
What the Hell are you talking about? I asked a simple question. I didn't slam on him. Go visit Jo Momma if you want to see some slamming. Drink a beer and calm down.
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #149
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer
 
Baba Iguana's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 544
I really didn't take any offense with his question Gus, and you are correct in identifying my troubleshooting as standard aviation procedure. Maybe we should start a SOAP program for final drives ?

I was hoping someone would pick up on that the pending bearing failure is audible before any radial play, roughness, or seal leakage. I wonder if this is unique to my case ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
MAN, are you tough on the guy.

I'd bet you would have slammed him if he didn't troubleshoot it, riiight? Just tore it apart and found nothing, what a fool he would have been,,,, then.

Lighten up and allow those guys who are doing anything at all, even if it is wrong, to help others find a method to figure this shit out.

Since BMW hasn't positively addressed the loyal BMW owners troubles,we all really need to be suportive of each other, don't you think?
__________________
"...There are legions of marginally competent yet pseudo-functional, witless and gullible sheep like yourself polluting our gene pool, making it very difficult to be optimistic about the future of the United States.

Please don't breed."

toothy

Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #150
davebig
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,756
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
I was using Klotz 90 Gear Oil. I have always been a fan of Klotz products and do not think it has anything to do with the failure. My log book is out in the garage, so I can't tell you the exact frequency of oil changes, but I am pedantic about all fluid changes so it would average around ever second oil change or about every 6000 miles.

The last change was the first time the fluid actually showed a colour change.
Thanks Baba, I like Klotz products also, use the 2cycle oils, and I'm a fan of straight 90w in the FDs as it more about cooling than lubing.I like Schafeffers ger lubes, but damn the Huns and they're bearing sizing from the 80's.DB

http://www.schaefferoil.com/products.html
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014