ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.53%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 106 36.18%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.80%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.49%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #151
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
I really didn't take any offense with his question Gus, and you are correct in identifying my troubleshooting as standard aviation procedure. Maybe we should start a SOAP program for final drives ?

I was hoping someone would pick up on that the pending bearing failure is audible before any radial play, roughness, or seal leakage. I wonder if this is unique to my case ?
The only 'warning' I got on my first drive failure was a sort of resonant vibration through the bars at 70mph in 6th gear. It went out (unrepairable) within 30 miles.

My second failure came as a complete surprise - had the bike on the ramp for another job, checked the rear wheel and it had 3-4mm of movement. That final drive was also unrepairable - thankfully it was replaced by BMW under the 2 yr warranty on new parts. It was about a week short of 2 yrs old...

Mike
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #152
Niraks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
First drive failed at 36K. I had noticed some "thrumming" in the bars and pegs. Dealer put in a new crown bearing and hosed the final drive out with brake clean. 2nd failure was 10K later when the nose bearing on the pinion shaft spun in the housing. The pinion bearing sits in a pocket of oil and can't be cleaned out without complete dissasembly. Bearing siezed from debris from the first repair/bandaid. With that much debris churning about in there the whole drive should have been replaced the first time. My thoughts are BMW is just doing the crown bearing and hoping we make it out of warrenty and they can get out the cheap and easy way.

BMW picked uphalf the tab the second time, first time was under warrenty....... RON
Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #153
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
My drive was diagnosed as bad at a dealer's when he did my 36k service. I continued to ride the bike thousands of miles before having it serviced.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #154
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 172
The "good" news is that if the FD repair is done by a BMW mechanic, even on a bike that's out of warranty, the repair is warrantied for 2 years. The trick seems to be spotting the problem early before being stranded in the middle of nowhere. That's the expensive part...
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #155
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
If they could be reliably ID'd going bad, this wouldn't be much of an issue.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #156
Jklotz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
24233 miles on mine.
hmmmm, mine went at 26200
Jklotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #157
mother77
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wow , what a hell of a thread!
I only came here to get steptoes photos for an emergancy repair! still here an hour later learning a lot about bearings. good stuff!
In Ecuador at the moment and the final drive has failed after about 53000 miles. This has been pretty hard riding, fully loaded with kit, for the last 30,000 miles. I snapped my rear subframe a couple of months ago to give an idea of how roughly i treat my bike. but its fun learning how to fix it eh, and gives a few stories for when i get back home ;o)

Run up to failure was pretty much as described by BHumW in post 112, but also was finding fragments in the final drive oil. was changing that regularly as i knew something was up. hit a pot hole while driving in teh clouds a day or two ago and teh day after started leaking oil.

Was hoping to make it to Quito to replace it but having seen it is a relativalty easy fix, and the damage that can be caused if it totally goes , i am staying put and going to try and find parts here.

I´ll go and vote now!

cheers
mike
mother77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #158
numbat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
bmw's are not what they used to be

air heads were tough but my 1150r did a final drive bearing at 40.000 klm and the rear wheel has movement at 65.000.
I learnt 25 years ago to use reputable independant bmw mechanics who are happy to tell you that the bikes are imperfect, and they sure are.
after 15.000 klm per year for 35 years I'm off bmw's for good.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #159
zorba75482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Vibration

Have a 99 1100GS with 31k and notice a thrumming type vibe through bars and pegs that is intermittant. More noticeable with engine under load. Can't feel any lateral play in the wheel. Ocassionally get a smell of burning rubber when I put the bike up in garage after a decent ride. Also seems to be a type of harmonic vibration upt about 3500rpm that smooths out after. No oil leaks at FD....yet.

I just got the bike and am a noob to oilheads but reading through this thread, I get the feeling I should be replacing bearing and seal before going much farther.

Does this sound like the onset of FD failure? If so, does anyone has a OM part number for the bearing I need.

an hour later......
Just pulled drive out and the bearing feels smooth and seal is fine.

zorba75482 screwed with this post 04-19-2007 at 02:35 PM
zorba75482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #160
Professor Fate
Hand crafted

Oddometer: 120
Also seems to be a type of harmonic vibration upt about 3500rpm that smooths out after.
Your driveshaft may have been out of phase. When you put it back together make sure the yokes match up from one end to the other. It's tricky to do when sticking it back together.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #161
zorba75482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
Also seems to be a type of harmonic vibration upt about 3500rpm that smooths out after.
Your driveshaft may have been out of phase. When you put it back together make sure the yokes match up from one end to the other. It's tricky to do when sticking it back together.
Not sure what the Yokes are, can you enlighten me ? I marked the housing and cover before removal as per instructions in Clymer manual.

Thanks
zorba75482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #162
Quetzal
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 461
Last month, on a trip to Creel, Mexico, I noticed this...

And also got this... and no ABS for me

So I decided to cut my trip short and leave the Devil's Backbone, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara for the next trip. Headed back to Houston, Tx., my base town. Some 100 miles from Houston I noticed a mulching sound, like someting was being chewed up inside the FD...

I made it to BMW of North Houston

Sure enough, the FD was gone, and when it overheated it toasted the ABS sensor too (that's why I got the "brake failure" light). They told me I had been very lucky I made it back.

FD oil splashed all over...

Almost 36kmi on the clock, warranty is picking up the bill

BMW R1200GS
BMW R1100S

Visit www.motoaventuras.net

'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #163
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
I've seen some discussion about a new service bulletin on FD maintenance. Last one I heard about was that the FD fluid should be changed at the 600 mile service, but I've seen mention here of a new bulletin to service the FD every 12k miles, which puts the new "Lifetime oil" FD in with the same schedule the my old 1150GS had for final drive service (although it was a hell of a lot easier on the 1150 with a bottom drain bolt).

So now are we really up to BMW scheduling 12k FD services on the 12GS? I want to make sure I'm keeping in warranty (Although, that's pretty hard when you can't get any info from BMW). Yes, I've checked with my local dealer, but they only have the 600 mile change bulletin at this point. Of course, advrider.com knew about the 600 mile service bulletin a month before my dealer got that info.

Thx
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #164
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd
I've seen some discussion about a new service bulletin on FD maintenance. Last one I heard about was that the FD fluid should be changed at the 600 mile service, but I've seen mention here of a new bulletin to service the FD every 12k miles, which puts the new "Lifetime oil" FD in with the same schedule the my old 1150GS had for final drive service (although it was a hell of a lot easier on the 1150 with a bottom drain bolt).

So now are we really up to BMW scheduling 12k FD services on the 12GS? I want to make sure I'm keeping in warranty (Although, that's pretty hard when you can't get any info from BMW). Yes, I've checked with my local dealer, but they only have the 600 mile change bulletin at this point. Of course, advrider.com knew about the 600 mile service bulletin a month before my dealer got that info.

Thx
Ed,
I could be way wrong here, but wasn't the 1150: 6 oil, 12 tranny, 24 final drive?
I usually did them altogether at 6 and could've forgotten 'the manual'.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #165
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Ed,
I could be way wrong here, but wasn't the 1150: 6 oil, 12 tranny, 24 final drive?
I usually did them altogether at 6 and could've forgotten 'the manual'.
Hey, You are right. 6 oil, 12 trans, 24 final, on the 1150GS. I just got used to doing the tranny and FD every 12k as it was so easy to do.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote