ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.53%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 106 36.18%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.80%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.49%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #166
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
.....The trick seems to be spotting the problem early before being stranded in the middle of nowhere. That's the expensive part...
The truth, yes.

An xyz thruster and o-ring on your shuttle isn't a big deal when you're in Cocoa or Houston, but get way out there...and it's a whole nother ball game.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #167
Professor Fate
Hand crafted

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba75482
Not sure what the Yokes are, can you enlighten me ? I marked the housing and cover before removal as per instructions in Clymer manual.

Thanks
I guess you did'nt take the whole drive unit off yet. but if you did there is a ujoint on each end of the driveshaft with a slipjoint at the rear where you would take the drive unit off the swing arm. When you put that slip joint back together the ends should match up like in this expertly drawn illustration.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #168
zorba75482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Better drawn than some of the things I see from our CAD system at work .

I'm going to let a BMW tech guy ride the bike on Saturday to tell me if the vibes are normal and I'm just being paranoid before I dig into it any further. But if I have to I'll look out for the alignment thanks.
zorba75482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #169
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
I've got 27,800 miles on my '05 12GS and so far all's well. My warranty is up in August of 2007. Knock on wood....

I have a friend whose 12GSA's final drive failed at just over 30,000 miles. In Chile.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #170
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Is there anything one can do to prevent the problem.?

Take it to the dealer and ask for a pre-emptive rebuild, bearings, seals etc.? It should be cheaper than a repair and at least you can decide on the timing.

Or change oils, would fancy additives or some such help.?

I gave the drive failure issue scant notice untill I added the responses together.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #171
pastor passum
Reverend Noob

Oddometer: 272
About 29,000 and counting on my '05.

Jim
pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #172
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 312
Well, I get to add to this thread.

Fracked crown gear on a 1100GS. The final drive was rebuilt 30k miles ago.

Didn't notice a damned thing until pieces that looked gearlike started coming out of my final drive amongst the oil.

That failed bearing and seal looks mighty nice compared to mine.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #173
Harley Squirrel Nuts
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig
Slipknot your not altogether wrong, but who else would take themselves this seriously, its almost a form of Narcissism mixed with "mines bigger than yours" to much time,money and now the internet where we all let the world know how important, involved,concerned we all are, and lots of us ride more than some of those other brand owners.
But hey they're alot more interesting than the engineers who all agree that the Honda VFR was the greatest motorcycle ever designed and the rest of the world would be much happier if we all owned one.DB
Except that the VFR had its share of problems, too. If you don't recall, in the 80's their cams would eat themselves up. IIRC, it was a lubrication problem. The thing was, Honda admited it and they and the aftermarket fixed it. And I used to own one; it wasn't the greatest, though it was good.

This thread (most of the 12 pages, anyway) reminds me of a Macintosh ad poking fun at MS Vista's security:

Security guy: You are pointing out Vista's flaws. Cancel or allow.

PC: Allow. I could turn him off but then he wouldn't give me any warning at all, and that would defeat the purpose.

Security guy: You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow.

PC: Allow...

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

I have been lurking on this site for some time practising the necessary due dilligence and research involved with purchasing a new (at least to me) motorcycle. Of all the issues that I have read about (whether real problems or just opinions) the FD concerns me the most.

After reading this whole thread and sifting through all the fluff, general bitchyness, opinions and real information, I have come up with these points as a summary:

- the FD problem is a real issue and not imagined or experienced by only the vocal minority.

- (counterpoint to previous) BMW has sold many, many bikes with a shaft drive, there are many owners of said bikes on this web site, but there are only a handful of these people who have experienced problems and have shared with the rest of the readers.

- The problem (assuming there is one) lies not with the bearings, oil type or maintenance regimen, but rather with engineering, whether bearing type or size, or with the single sided swingarm.

- Time between failure is unknown. There is no acknowlegement from the factory and no known suggested bearing replacement schedule other than a MTBF of somewhere between 15000 mi to 40000 mi.

- On 11xx cycles, one can perform periodic bearing replacement to reduce the occurance of this problem. This is not possible with a 1200.

- BMW has redesigned the FD on 1200s to eliminate this problem and are essentially a sealed unit with no user serviceable parts. This may or may not have cured the problem. There are far fewer of these owners who have complained of any issues on this site, but it is a new design and fewer have any significant mileage, yet.

- Regardless of the model (although I expect all 1200s are still on warranty), if one is not capable of performing the repair himself or experiences the problem in a remote area, the fix will be rather pricy.

If my summary is incorrect, please enlighten me.

I am/was in the market for an 1150 or 1200, but am not so sure, now. Is BMW reliability a myth? Is that legendary teutonic toughness a fiction, or perhaps they have lessened themselves to the same level of some other builders: its good until the warranty runs out. Yes, I know that regular maintenance is paramount, but how do you prevent a possibly sudden problem (other than with luck), that may or may not occur, and is not even acknowledged by BMW? In my opinion, this head in the sand thing is crap. Lets find a solution or a possible work around.

-kevin
Harley Squirrel Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #174
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,405
120 voters. Has there really been that many final drive failures on this board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #175
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
120 voters. Has there really been that many final drive failures on this board?
Well, you can only vote once - I would've voted twice, if the option was available, to make the numbers accurate...

Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #176
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Harley:

When mine failed at 35k miles, BMW NA initially denied warranty claiming the bearing replacement is a maintenance item. There was some ambiguity, but my take is that the BMW said the issue wouldn't have occurred had I replaced the bearing at 24k miles.

OTOH, many have failed short of 24k miles.

Overall, FD failure rate is, IMO, higher than it should be, but also not that common given how many BMW's there are running around.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #177
GrayGoSt
Ridin' the F8

Oddometer: 121
My FD failed on my '02 1150GS at 41K. Naturally, the warranty was gone so I went to the dealer prepared to fight about having them fix it since it was so close to the end of the warranty period. They replaced it, not questions asked and no cost to me. I now have 61K on the bike (an additional 21K on the new FD) and have had no problems. When my original failed, it just went out without any warning, on the freeway and left me stranded. (not bad though...it was in San Francisco) I have always performed the regular maintenance and it still went out without pre-warning..I voted already..but would vote again too in order to get the #s up.
GrayGoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #178
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Harley:

When mine failed at 35k miles, BMW NA initially denied warranty claiming the bearing replacement is a maintenance item. There was some ambiguity, but my take is that the BMW said the issue wouldn't have occurred had I replaced the bearing at 24k miles.

OTOH, many have failed short of 24k miles.

Overall, FD failure rate is, IMO, higher than it should be, but also not that common given how many BMW's there are running around.
I'd like them to produce the service schedule that details this replacement. Sounds like bollocks to me...

Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #179
hcmiller92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Sampling is a science

The results of such a survey are useless for drawing inferences to the universe of BMWs. The sample here is self-selecting, and that's ok as long as everyone understands it has no correlation to all BMW bikes built.

BMWMOA #125912
BMWRA #31609
'08 BMW K1200GT
'07 G650 X-Challenge

http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/
hcmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #180
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
I'd like them to produce the service schedule that details this replacement. Sounds like bollocks to me...

Mike
I challenged the denial of warranty. I said if BMW NA or the dealer could show me ONE published entry saying that the bearing should be replaced at 24k miles, I'd withdraw my warranty claim.

BMW NA either couldn't or just blew me off. We were at loggerheads until Rob Lentini intervened on my behalf which got lots of action from BMW. Until then, it was like shouting down a well.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote