ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.60%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 105 35.96%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.82%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.62%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #181
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
94K on original FD. What's the record?
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #182
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
IIRC, the Colonel had well over 200k on both the 1150 and 1100 with original FD's.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #183
Quelish
Mileage Grinder

Oddometer: 155
I've got some pivot needle bearings that I'm going to replace, and hopefully everything else will check out fine.

A note about some things though- most of the people posting here are with GS's only, which is a minority of the BMW motorcycles sold.

Also- many people on this board ride the bike off road, which introduces a level of stress and particulate that, while the bike should be designed for it, for the most part isn't.

I for one have a big bearing and seal on order, to accompany the backup sight glass and expanded tool kit for my GS. And that's all I can do other then switching brands, and then I'll just be trading one set of under-engineered problems for another, and that's not worth it for a bike that rides as well as mine does. To me anyways.
Quelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #184
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelish
A note about some things though- most of the people posting here are with GS's only, which is a minority of the BMW motorcycles sold.

Also- many people on this board ride the bike off road, which introduces a level of stress and particulate that, while the bike should be designed for it, for the most part isn't.
The vast majority of the GSs are almost never ridden off-road and of the few that do go off-road, it's mostly on reasonably well-maintained gravel roads at relatively low speed. I doubt the failure rate of the GS is much different from other boxers, unless the difference in driveshaft angle is a factor. Ricardo Kuhn probably rides his harder than anyone and I don't remember him complaining about FD problems. I still believe that's it's just a hit and miss quality control problem.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #185
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,576
I just bought a 2004 R1150RS with 18K on the odometer. Lots of wiggle in the rear wheel at 9-3 and 12-6 position. I was hoping it was pivot bearings. But with the rear brake applied there is no movement. Must be FD bearings.

Will be interesting to get inside the FD and have a look see.......too bad BMW won't fix under warrantee with so few miles........
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #186
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Bearing

Just don't replace the bearing. It works for some but I did that twice. My problem was only solved when I took the bike to a good independent tech who measured and re-shimmed the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB
I just bought a 2004 R1150RS with 18K on the odometer. Lots of wiggle in the rear wheel at 9-3 and 12-6 position. I was hoping it was pivot bearings. But with the rear brake applied there is no movement. Must be FD bearings.

Will be interesting to get inside the FD and have a look see.......too bad BMW won't fix under warrantee with so few miles........
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #187
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 590
Reading through the thirteen pages of thread, I am surprised no one has yet come up with a real solution to this bearing mystery. Could the engineer's out there tell us if the resonance frequency of the unit could be at the root of the problem? Something like - if it's natural frequency was within the motor's possible rev range (or road vibration) then we could have a reason for this otherwise unexplained failure. e.g. a wine glass shattering when a singer reaches a certain pitch/tone. (I have also heard of a go kart's rear wheel bearing destructing under no load, while the engine was being warmed up by revving it on the stand) If this could be the reason for the ball cage letting go, is there a way that the unit's natural frequency could be changed so that it's natural frequency is outside the possible rev range? (I've heard of them doing this on buildings and bridges) Just a long shot - I'm no engineer

I GS 1 screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 12:34 AM
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #188
b34cez
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Unfortunately, I have to join the club of final drive failure early, at 9,300 miles (15,000 km)! with a 2008 R1200RT serviced before time.
Before the third regular maintenance, I have checked and found considerable rear wheel play. The dealer recognized the failure and it is going to be solved in warranty.
b34cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #189
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1
Reading through the thirteen pages of thread, I am surprised no one has yet come up with a real solution to this bearing mystery. Could the engineer's out there tell us if the resonance frequency of the unit could be at the root of the problem? Something like - if it's natural frequency was within the motor's possible rev range (or road vibration) then we could have a reason for this otherwise unexplained failure. e.g. a wine glass shattering when a singer reaches a certain pitch/tone. (I have also heard of a go kart's rear wheel bearing destructing under no load, while the engine was being warmed up by revving it on the stand) If this could be the reason for the ball cage letting go, is there a way that the unit's natural frequency could be changed so that it's natural frequency is outside the possible rev range? (I've heard of them doing this on buildings and bridges) Just a long shot - I'm no engineer
Marginally-designed/engineered FD using undersized bearings in a confined space + load rating of bike + lack of ability of the manufacturer to build something more durable = increased probability of bearing failure. Seems pretty simple to me. Maybe Honda could give them some pointers.

Just my own opinion, but I believe that if they put some kind of torque-shock absorbing mechanism anywhere in the driveline, most of the driveline failures would be greatly reduced or completely eliminated. A spring-loaded clutch hub, like the ones found in every standard tranny auto built since the '20's and available from aftermarket companies for these bikes, comes to mind.

Somethin' like this, from http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmw_clutches.html fer instance. One of these is going into my 2010 GSA as soon as I get it. Maybe even before I take delivery. Again, just my own opinion and preference. I am not affiliated with nor do I profit in any way from the sales of this product or the continuing success of the company that designed/produces it, but I DO know a great design and concept when I see it.

Y'all ride safe out there.

John

jpooch00 screwed with this post 08-27-2009 at 03:40 AM
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #190
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Personally, I think that if the final drive had a simple vent, which would allow the drive to be filled with fluid and still room for fluid expansion, the problems would go away. While there are reports of failiures a all mileages, I notice a high proportion of failures are on bikes that are ridden long distances, fully loaded, which points to heat.

Would be nice if someone could engineer a drain plug with a nipple, so a hose and vent could be added.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #191
RSDOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thumbs down

In the last 22 years of riding I have ridden BMW except for one. A Concours 01 model. All used bikes. Buying a new bike next week. That will be a 09 V-Strom 1000. No way am I spending money for a BMW with this kind of crap.

Bogart.
The Big Sleep.
RSDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #192
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Personally, I think that if the final drive had a simple vent, which would allow the drive to be filled with fluid and still room for fluid expansion, the problems would go away. While there are reports of failiures a all mileages, I notice a high proportion of failures are on bikes that are ridden long distances, fully loaded, which points to heat.

Would be nice if someone could engineer a drain plug with a nipple, so a hose and vent could be added.
I dont know much about it but im pretty sure thatsd bullshit.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #193
1Cactusrider
SW Rider

Oddometer: 146
Ouch

MIKEO
How many miles did it have on it? Was rear drive oil changed frequently?
1Cactusrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #194
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,905
162 failures listed here alone.

No FD problem there BMW, nope.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #195
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
162 failures listed here alone.

No FD problem there BMW, nope.
Feh... How many were R11 vs R12? How many of the R12 failures were a leaky seal? How many of the R12 failures were after the "change at 600 miles" went into affect? How many R12 seal failures after the change of fluid levels?

Yeah, I don't know the answers either. My point is that even the FD fairy waved her magic wand so that FDs never failed again there will still be bitching about it for another 5 years, minimum!
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote