ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.45%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 107 36.39%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.78%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.37%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #196
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Personally, I think that if the final drive had a simple vent, which would allow the drive to be filled with fluid and still room for fluid expansion, the problems would go away. While there are reports of failiures a all mileages, I notice a high proportion of failures are on bikes that are ridden long distances, fully loaded, which points to heat.

Would be nice if someone could engineer a drain plug with a nipple, so a hose and vent could be added.
The 1150 does have a vent - and if anything more failures. But in their case it seems to be the bearing cage of the deep groove ball bearing that breaks down and pieces of it then destroy the seal. (the only redeeming feature of the older 1150 is that in most cases it is a lot cheaper to repair a FD failure)
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #197
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,808

I'm on my fourth BMW.

98 R11GS
99R11RT

Current:

02 R11GS
00 K12RS

Serviced all bikes myself and no FD issues whatsoever......

I think the FD failures are real but not out of line with use and miles of the entire herd of bikes......and much superior to chain drive units.....IMHO

I think it's often an excuse not to buy the brand when folks don't want to spend the money for the bikes....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #198
Ionlab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I have noticed a problem about 3K before fatal failure (56.000Km) but was unaware of the problem then.
When it died I was 2 up more than fully loaded and making a slight right at 150Km/h in a highway when the bike began whallowing and I thought my shock has gone. Upon inpection a pool of oil was spilled all over the rear wheel. The seal was teared by the bearing caging, but was not totally gone. I removed all the caging with pliers and placed the seal back in place again placing the worst side up. I then drove 240-280Km (I really do not remember) at about 30Km/h replacing the fd oil every 10Km or so. Towing the bike was not an option since I was abroad and towing + repairing was more expensive than a used fd.
Boy that was along day....
After I arrived to a repair shop at home we opened the fd mostly out of curiosity (since the mechanic was sure that it would be a mess) only to find out that only a new bearing was needed and that the crown wheel has suffered MINIMAL damage.
Till this day I still cannot explain why we didn't go down and how the fd suffered such abuse. I still remember the sound the balls in the bearing made as they wore down one at a time.
Ionlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #199
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,004
You're lucky to be alive.
I wonder how many have perished as a result of an FD failure and the cause of the crash was never known when the wrecker loaded up the wad.
Oh the humanity.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #200
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Personally, I think that if the final drive had a simple vent, which would allow the drive to be filled with fluid and still room for fluid expansion, the problems would go away. While there are reports of failiures a all mileages, I notice a high proportion of failures are on bikes that are ridden long distances, fully loaded, which points to heat.

Would be nice if someone could engineer a drain plug with a nipple, so a hose and vent could be added.
The 1150s have a vent. The issue is not heat. Nor is it lubrication related. There is plenty of GL-5 sloshing around in both the old 1150 and newer 1200 FDs. The issue is wear of the cage. The cage wears and lets go allowing the balls to wad up and destroy the ability of the bearing to remain in alignment and carry the load.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #201
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd
I've seen some discussion about a new service bulletin on FD maintenance. Last one I heard about was that the FD fluid should be changed at the 600 mile service, but I've seen mention here of a new bulletin to service the FD every 12k miles, which puts the new "Lifetime oil" FD in with the same schedule the my old 1150GS had for final drive service (although it was a hell of a lot easier on the 1150 with a bottom drain bolt).

So now are we really up to BMW scheduling 12k FD services on the 12GS? I want to make sure I'm keeping in warranty (Although, that's pretty hard when you can't get any info from BMW). Yes, I've checked with my local dealer, but they only have the 600 mile change bulletin at this point. Of course, advrider.com knew about the 600 mile service bulletin a month before my dealer got that info.

Thx
Screw the recommended 12,000 mile change intervals! I'm gonna be changin' mine every 3000 miles when I change the engine oil (once I get the bike, that is).

Also, I'll be draining and refilling it and the engine as soon as I get it home on the day I buy it. I've done this with all of the changable lubricants on every new vehicle I've ever bought, as well as the used ones, and I've always recieved outstanding service and low maintenance expenses with all of them.

I am NOT trying to say that everybody else, or anybody else, for that matter, should do this - but I'm gonna. If nothing else, it'll give me a fighting chance of finding the early warning signs of metal shavings in the oil and/or on the magnets before anything completely grenades, and who knows - it might even make it last longer.

jpooch00 screwed with this post 08-29-2009 at 04:24 PM
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #202
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
110K now, original final drive right down to the seal. I replace FD fluid every 12K most of the time, sometimes longer. Maybe jpooch00 will send me his discarded oil.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #203
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Iron Butt Rally, Day 6 Final drive failure...

"It’s a surprise only because we had to wait this long"" The final drive on Dave Biasotti's R-1150RT left him in a puddle of GL-goo in Colorado.

Certainly this is just another isolated incident, because BMWNA says these have never been a problem...

Luckily, a local dealer may have one so Dave could be back in the Rally soon...

Pointman
IBA #5
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #204
bobbagum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Engine Vibration the cause?

I don't notice or have heard that the K-bikes have FD failure problems so is it the vibration of the boxer that's killing these FDs then?
bobbagum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #205
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbagum
I don't notice or have heard that the K-bikes have FD failure problems so is it the vibration of the boxer that's killing these FDs then?
JMO, but I've suspected that exact thing ever since I got into researching these bikes. As I've said on other threads, I believe that installing one of the aftermarket ceramic clutches with the torque-pulse-shock-absorbing spring loaded hub might very well eliminate the FD failure problem and most of the tranny issues as well, or at least help them to last considerably longer.

One like this.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #206
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was just on a forum page that's reporting on this year's Iron Butt Rally http://www.iwsti.com/forums/off-topi...-underway.html and they listed some DNF'S in '07 due to FD failures on K bikes. First ones I've heard of.

The first DNF this year is also due to an FD failure on a BMW.

One discouraging statement regarding BMW's, among several others, was that they consider a 33 year old R60/6 with over 512,000 miles on it to be the most likely one to actually finish this year.

They also commented that some of the higher echelon (I don't think that's spelled right?) BMW riders were actually carrying spare final drives along with them. To me, that might be justifiable if this was a 50,000 mile event, but 11,000 miles? That's just not right.

I just wonder when BMW will finally do something to start getting their fading reputation turned around. Maybe never, who knows?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #207
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Plenty of K bike failure. Most notably on the KLT.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #208
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Since this is the monster Final Drive thread... is the big roller bearing the same on the 2.9, 3.0, and 3.2 final drives? Or do the higher-numbered units have larger bearings?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #209
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Since this is the monster Final Drive thread... is the big roller bearing the same on the 2.9, 3.0, and 3.2 final drives? Or do the higher-numbered units have larger bearings?
The same bearing, part number 33121242210, is used on the R1100RT, K1200RS, R1200CL, K1200GT, K1200RS, R100RS, R100RT, R80GS, R80ST, and about 40 other models from the R65, the R1150xx models, and the K12LT.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=33121242210

I know that doesn't directly answer your question but I don't know which gear ratios went with which bike. Or were you asking about the hexhead big bearing? That is 33117704850.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=33117704850
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #210
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
The same bearing, part number 33121242210, is used on the R1100RT, K1200RS, R1200CL, K1200GT, K1200RS, R100RS, R100RT, R80GS, R80ST, and about 40 other models from the R65, the R1150xx models, and the K12LT.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=33121242210

I know that doesn't directly answer your question but I don't know which gear ratios went with which bike. Or were you asking about the hexhead big bearing? That is 33117704850.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=33117704850
Thanks, Marc! I ordered one today, but forgot to tell Chicago BMW that i have a 3.0 ratio FD on my 2000 R1150GS. All should be well.