ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.53%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 106 36.18%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.80%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.49%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #211
kelsokid
Where to next

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
Noticed a resonant 'thrumming' throught the handlebars for a couple of hundred miles. This disappeared and then I started getting weird feelings from the rear wheel (not unlike a puncture). Eventually, some 30 miles later (I was in the middle of nowhere and had to reach civilisation) the rear wheel started moving laterally - locking momentarily on occasion (I was doing <10mph by now). I eventually reached a town , put the bike on the side stand and...

Took the wheel off back at Jorge's place to find...

The wheel had moved about sufficiently to gouge metal out of the rear disc and caliper carrier (hence the intermittent lock-ups).

Mike
How do you like your Tourances?

2001 1150GS
1998 Ventus 2AX
1994 DR350
kelsokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #212
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Just wondering if there has been any reported HP2 enduro FD failures?
Boxerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #213
surfted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
My friends hp2e started to leak oil in both ends recently. He's going to change both gaskets and bearings. We will find out if there was something wrong or just bad quality on the gaskets. It had 22 000 km by the way.

I noticed some vibrations when I lay down my hp2e to the left but not to the right. Wierd! Mine has 27 000km on it. Any ideas?

/Ted
surfted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #214
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
So, let me get this straight. There should be absolutely no play if grabbing the rear tire at the 3 & 9 o'clock or the 12 & 6 o'clock positions?

I just got home from a longer trip out west and started doing the 6k mile fluid changes. While I had the bike up on the center stand, I tried this test and have a very slight amount of play at 3/9 o'clock, but nothing at 12/6. Am I looking at a failing drive?

Oh, 91k miles on the clock right now.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
Spotwalla

sleazy rider screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 12:26 PM
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #215
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Bearing bad News

More likely pivot bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider
So, let me get this straight. There should be absolutely no play if grabbing the rear tire at the 3 & 9 o'clock or the 12 & 6 o'clock positions?

I just got home from a longer trip out west and started doing the 6k mile fluid changes. While I had the bike up on the center stand, I tried this test and have a very slight amount of play at 3/9 o'clock, but nothing at 12/6. Am I looking at a failing drive?

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #216
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Whats everyone opinion on why BMW has only changed the FD once with all these problems? Isn't the change to the Evo FD the only redesign they have done to try and fix this? I think they've done some small changes.. but.. nothing major that i've read anyway.

Even if its overall a small percentage that fail.. its a large percentage compared to other mfgs, and its plain and simple costing them money with replacing FD's, loss of reputation and the loss of current and potential customers.

Are they trying to make a hammer with 10 moving parts.. sorta speak? or???

With this kind of problem thats been going on for so long it just leads one to think they just plain can't figure out how to make one that holds together.
It makes you angry and makes yah think about mailing them a honda FD... or somthing!

Looking at the FD failure list website, there are FD failures listed back to 1993(i excluded the one listed in 1985 since there was only one that old). Thats a long time to have not made any progress on a major issue.

With sue happy America, it will only be a matter of time before someone is killed or near killed because of this and sue's BMW of this.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #217
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider

Tom,
Best write up ever on replacing OEM rear pivot bearings with JL bushings
http://www.rvbprecision.com/motorcyc...placement.html

PS- loctite 270 (green) and 271 (red) are virtually same product, difference being availability and cost--271 is at Home Depot for about $6
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #218
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
Tom,
Best write up ever on replacing OEM rear pivot bearings with JL bushings
http://www.rvbprecision.com/motorcyc...placement.html

PS- loctite 270 (green) and 271 (red) are virtually same product, difference being availability and cost--271 is at Home Depot for about $6

Wow! Very nice write-up. Thanks for the pointer. We'll see how my time shakes out after this weekend to get this done. I've a fairly well stocked toolbox myself. In the meantime, I guess I'll be commuting on the XR600.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
Spotwalla
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #219
English
2001 R1150GS

Oddometer: 50
Had same issue as Kelsokid........been looking for a vibration for a while when finally said.....ride it.
Crown bearing failed just outside of Salt Lake City coming home from the world super bike weekend. Had to Uhaul the bike home. I decided to go through the whole back end so after ordering every part i started the rebuild, bearings, seals, pivot bearings, all new nuts bolts washers and seals.......15 hours later i had a smooth riding bike.....drained the final drive oil after 50 miles and it was clear, changed again at 150 miles and still clear.....bike has 80,000 miles so parts do fail....nice to change everything at once though!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #220
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,905
For anyone who's replaced a FD main bearing, how much play did the new bearing have? I just received a new baring from Chicago BMW, and it wobbles a bit... is that really normal? I thought a new bearing would be dead-solid, without any play between the races. It's the usual 19-ball version, looks perfectly new, says 697c3 310AB on the side.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #221
kelsokid
Where to next

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
For anyone who's replaced a FD main bearing, how much play did the new bearing have? I just received a new baring from Chicago BMW, and it wobbles a bit... is that really normal? I thought a new bearing would be dead-solid, without any play between the races. It's the usual 19-ball version, looks perfectly new, says 697c3 310AB on the side.
Looses its play when installed against the tapered bearing inside. Mount her up and go riding. Correct shimming should yield zero play at the wheel.

kk

2001 1150GS
1998 Ventus 2AX
1994 DR350
kelsokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #222
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,426
seeing this just made me angry again. My final drive got me all the way from Cabo to a dealer in SD when it "all of a sudden" couldn't go any further and had to stay there and pay for there overpriced repairs. It was my first (and last) FD failure. It taught me a valuable lesson: Always get your bike home. Never let an out of town dealer take apart anything that is still working.
osii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #223
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
The c3 bearing has some looseness. You have to have room for the oil.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #224
gsboar
springfield miler

Oddometer: 96
happened 2yrs ago.. chngd drive oil....

... then a slight rhythmic vibration for a few hundred miles, but no leak & checking rear end revealed nothing..... then catastrophic failure in town... what a mess. happened @~38000..... thankfully, 75% of cost covered under goodwill warranty by bmwna
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #225
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
110K, original FD, even the seal.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote