ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.45%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 107 36.39%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.78%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.37%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #226
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
110K, original FD, even the seal.
Good for you.

I wasn't so lucky.

I felt the dreaded tap in the foot pegs and knew. This pic was taken about 470 miles from home just outside of Alpine Texas. I made it to Marathon and KNEW I couldn't go any further.

But $280 buck later in parts and labor from a well respected mech, and I was on the road again.

PS. "well respected mech" said he had done hundreds of oil head and air head FD bearings. Some of them were preventative, but most were failures.

I still love it.

Nick
Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #227
Mud Butt'n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
oh ya

stuff breaks we can only break it if we ride it.
Mud Butt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #228
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 609
Oh Crap.

OK, my first post here so please try and be gentle on me.

Purchased my 2001 R1150GS with 33K on it a month ago. Came to do the 36K service on it today (doing it early at 35.3K). I drain the final drive oil and OMG I have never seen such dirty metal flakey oil. I'm no mecanic but that is WAY too much little sparkly pieces in there. Magnetic drain plug is covered in them. I changed oil took it for a run, drained the new oil and still loads of metal flakes in there. Clearly something is awry, I can feel a tiny amount of back wheel play 6-12, not so certain about 9-3.

From having read this entire thread today this is what I think I have gathered;

1) Stop riding Bike immediately, because I don't want that big bearing to shatter on me and reek havoc.
2) Order a new final drive bearing (actually 2 because having read this entire thread, I am carrying a spare + a quart of gear oil everywhere I go from now on in). Part No. is universally known as a 61917 C3 according to Steptoe...but I don't see how this can marry up to different BMW part No.s given by other members...Is it really the same bearing?
3) Order 2 new seals (1 for a spare)
4) Order 2 new O-rings (1 for a spare) Can't find a part No yet on this.
5) What about the tapered bearing? With all those metal flakes floating around in there for lordy knowns how long, would it be a good idea to replace that too whilst I'm there?

According to this site;
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=33&fg=10&hl=1

The Part Numers I need are (my Bike apparently manufactured 07-2000 apparently... according to their serial number plug in);

No. Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes
01Shaft seal85X110X10133127663482$36.46+core

03 GROOVED BALL BEARING85X120X18133121242210$93.81+core

05TAPERED ROLLER BEARING25X52X16,25133121451188$53.48+core

So, I guess I have to count myself lucky, imminent failure avoided....but I still have to strip and replace the dang thing.....I am assuming, I'm not going to find a big old ugly mess when I get in there....if I am deluding my self and this is going to get financialy ugly please let me know before I order those parts. I am in a squeeze right now, I can't afford another big bill...the taxman he cometh next month and I'v nil for him yet (bought me a bid ole bike)

For the record, unless I had checked the final drive oil, I would not have been aware of a problem. I absolutely can't tell riding the Bike that anything is up, it rides fantastic! (maybe it vibrates more than other GS's but how would I know I only owned it for 2K miles or thereabouts).

S1
(btw: tax on the house...I paid my regular Tax)
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #229
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Bearing down

Just changing the bearing assumes that the shimming is correct. When I had mine redone for the third time by a good mech he measured (don't ask me how) and the stack was revised. So far so good. Sold the bike to a friend and it is still going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks
OK, my first post here so please try and be gentle on me.

Purchased my 2001 R1150GS with 33K on it a month ago. Came to do the 36K service on it today (doing it early at 35.3K). I drain the final drive oil and OMG I have never seen such dirty metal flakey oil. I'm no mecanic but that is WAY too much little sparkly pieces in there. Magnetic drain plug is covered in them. I changed oil took it for a run, drained the new oil and still loads of metal flakes in there. Clearly something is awry, I can feel a tiny amount of back wheel play 6-12, not so certain about 9-3.

From having read this entire thread today this is what I think I have gathered;

1) Stop riding Bike immediately, because I don't want that big bearing to shatter on me and reek havoc.
2) Order a new final drive bearing (actually 2 because having read this entire thread, I am carrying a spare + a quart of gear oil everywhere I go from now on in). Part No. is universally known as a 61917 C3 according to Steptoe...but I don't see how this can marry up to different BMW part No.s given by other members...Is it really the same bearing?
3) Order 2 new seals (1 for a spare)
4) Order 2 new O-rings (1 for a spare) Can't find a part No yet on this.
5) What about the tapered bearing? With all those metal flakes floating around in there for lordy knowns how long, would it be a good idea to replace that too whilst I'm there?

According to this site;
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=33&fg=10&hl=1

The Part Numers I need are (my Bike apparently manufactured 07-2000 apparently... according to their serial number plug in);

No. Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes
01Shaft seal85X110X10133127663482$36.46+core

03 GROOVED BALL BEARING85X120X18133121242210$93.81+core

05TAPERED ROLLER BEARING25X52X16,25133121451188$53.48+core

So, I guess I have to count myself lucky, imminent failure avoided....but I still have to strip and replace the dang thing.....I am assuming, I'm not going to find a big old ugly mess when I get in there....if I am deluding my self and this is going to get financialy ugly please let me know before I order those parts. I am in a squeeze right now, I can't afford another big bill...the taxman he cometh next month and I'v nil for him yet (bought me a bid ole bike)

For the record, unless I had checked the final drive oil, I would not have been aware of a problem. I absolutely can't tell riding the Bike that anything is up, it rides fantastic! (maybe it vibrates more than other GS's but how would I know I only owned it for 2K miles or thereabouts).

S1
(btw: tax on the house...I paid my regular Tax)
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #230
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsokid
Looses its play when installed against the tapered bearing inside. Mount her up and go riding. Correct shimming should yield zero play at the wheel.

kk
Hmmm... that makes some sense, even if the bearing itself ought to be tighter. Shims, shims, shims, I don't have any spare shims.

For what it's worth, I paid $95 for new bearing, seal, and two o-rings, shipped to my door, from Chicago BMW. Not a bad price, considering what some have quoted here over the years.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #231
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonebandito
Good for you.

I wasn't so lucky.

I felt the dreaded tap in the foot pegs and knew. This pic was taken about 470 miles from home just outside of Alpine Texas. I made it to Marathon and KNEW I couldn't go any further.

But $280 buck later in parts and labor from a well respected mech, and I was on the road again.

PS. "well respected mech" said he had done hundreds of oil head and air head FD bearings. Some of them were preventative, but most were failures.

I still love it.

Nick
Just got back from out there last week. Where in the Heck did you find someone to work on FD unless it was P. G. I know he lives out there. would be curious of a shop out there, cause I will be out there again.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #232
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Just got back from out there last week. Where in the Heck did you find someone to work on FD unless it was P. G. I know he lives out there. would be curious of a shop out there, cause I will be out there again.
Funny story....My brother and I limped it to Marathon and it stayed there for 3 days. The folks at the Marathon RV park are great and they let me park it right next to there cruisers. Then we rode home 2 up on his 04 adventure.

Needless to say we got some interesting looks on the way home. A couple of days later I was on my way out there with a u-haul and dragged it to Hank in Dilley, TX. He had the parts the next day and I had my ride soon thereafter.

Our ride including a shot of us two-up
http://saltwindandfire.smugmug.com/T.../9621920_X7W5g

BTW I have a new found respect for SOs who ride pillion. 400+ on the back of that thing sucked.

Nick
Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 AM   #233
gogogorilla
Swinginthroughthetrees

Oddometer: 18
No

830 this morning, started the 9 hour trip to the moto gp phillip island. 830 this evening, back home with 1100gs on a mates truck. Waited 5 hours for him to come and get me. Lucky in a way. Felt the vibrations in the footpegs but passed them off as nothing to worry about, maybe dirty plugs. Stopped to get fuel at Gundagai {dog on the tucker box} and saw the oil. trip over.
I had this bearing replaced by a BM dealer in Sydney
less than 5000Ks ago at a cost of roughly 900 bucks.
My question is " will the bastards fix it for free ?"

gogogorilla screwed with this post 10-24-2009 at 05:25 PM
gogogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #234
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,916
Good luck with that, GGG.

I just hate it when these major failures interrupt hard won vacations.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #235
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,390
A funny story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonebandito
Funny story....My brother and I limped it to Marathon and it stayed there for 3 days. The folks at the Marathon RV park are great and they let me park it right next to there cruisers. Then we rode home 2 up on his 04 adventure.

Needless to say we got some interesting looks on the way home. A couple of days later I was on my way out there with a u-haul and dragged it to Hank in Dilley, TX. He had the parts the next day and I had my ride soon thereafter.

Our ride including a shot of us two-up
http://saltwindandfire.smugmug.com/T.../9621920_X7W5g

BTW I have a new found respect for SOs who ride pillion. 400+ on the back of that thing sucked.

Nick
Sounds a half a trashed vacation to me..
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #236
Enprize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Add me to the list

40 Km from Batopilas Mexico 24 Nov 2009. On the road from Creel to Batopilas I stop to pee and see my FD peeing: I knew immediately that I was screwed.

R1150GS,final drive failure,BMW final drive f,BMW motorcycle

Photobucket

I looked over the edge and I see this is what I have ahead of me:

Photobucket

Although I had seen some trucks, I was no where that I thought I could load a GS even if someone agreed to help me. So I decided to continue. I went through two more switchbacks and ran into a house. There were several trucks in his yard. I hoped I could get him to take me in Batopilas. No way. He would not even make eye contact with me which I now know is the norm for the natives in that area. (There is still a few mafia there and the US State Department considers it a small unit combat area. I was warned to not to go into the area solo by the Sonora riders I met in Santa Rosalia.) I stopped several trucks (6 or 8 that were empty) and asked them to take me,offering to pay. No way. Asked them to call me truck when they got into town. No. No. No. (as it happens the telephone service is cut off in Batopilas that week) I was carrying a spare bearing and seal as recommended by steptoe and bananaman and many others. When i removed the wheel the seal come off with it and this is what I saw:

Bearing cage gone

Part of the crap. I cleaned it out the best I could. I had to dig some out of the smaller gear.

Cage debris

The native had warmed up to now when he saw the bearing was toast. He was a bit of mechanic himself what with three pickups torn apart in is front yard. I removed the crown bearing and separated the top off the old bearing. Using a Jet Boil stove to heat the bottom race I pried it off with a chisel. It took about 10 minutes.

Wedging off the bearing with a chisel

My helper, a young guy about 25 or so, would not let me take a picture of him, this was the best I got. His wife was running the camera.
Wedging off the old bearing

Unaware of Steptoes posts about using the exhaust to heat the new bearing I finally managed to get across to them that I need a large can to heat the new bearing. It's in the center of the picture. As you can see I only had 20-50 motor oil with me, which is what I used.

Photobucket

There was some damage to the crown gear from the chisel.

Chisel damage

I heated the oil to smoking with the jet boil stove and dropped the bearing right on. A solid click as it hit bottom told me I wouldn't be having to redo this step.

new bearing on

I put the cover plate back on and lined it up. Then I installed the seal. This is not what you are supposed to do. Install the seal from the inside and drive it flush. The seal leaked a small amount all the way to Batopilas. Because I never expected to do this job on the side of the road I never read the posts about doing it. I've got some Airhead rebuilding experience (lots really) so I dived right in. It was either that or spend the night on the mountain and I was pretty sure native man wasn;t going to share any space. It was already 1:30 pm when I started the job and 3 pm when I finished, only had about 90 minutes of daylight to get into town.

Buttoned up:

Photobucket

I did not need this to get me around the world, just off the road from Creel to Batopilas before night. I knew there were shimming issues, and the can to heat the bearing was really dirty, as was the tube i used to fill the final drive with my 20-50 motor oil. There were no clean rags. The best I could do was pray I didn't drop anything in the dirt. The tarp helped, I carry one as a foot print for my tent and problems like this. The one cotton tee shirt I carried worked. The next day I drained the oil and filled it would 140 gear oil. BTW in Mexico gear oil is called "green oil".

When I arrived in Batopilas it was dark. I could not find the hotel mentioned in some previous posts and ended up finding a great place anyway. I spent two days trying to get a truck and finally found someone who got me back to Creel for $1400 Mx, about $110.00. Another person offered to take me up for $3000.00MX which is a little over $250.00 US. I later learned that 3000 Mx is standard as it happens there is a bit of trade hauling bikes back up to Creel. When I arrived in town I thought there would be no problem finding English speakers or a truck. I had a rider on my insurance policy that would pay the first $300.00US in towing. The phone system is out and the natives REALLY do not trust outsiders. There were no tourists there until the third day, when I ran into a group with the "three amigos" based out of Creel. If you get in trouble in the Canyons, you can get ahold of them and they have experience getting bikes out of the Canyons.

If you go: Lots of ride reports about people taking big bikes into the Canyons. As for me, next year I'm going back with a smaller bike, 650 or so. The GS is just to big to have fun on those road in that area for me.

You can see my SPOT report here: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=183194

I still haven't loaded all the pictures on my blog, and may or may not do a ride report here on ADV. I spent three weeks solo in Mexico down Baja and the Canyons and look forward to doing it again next years.

My first major purchase after returning home was a Iridium 9505a Satellite phone. I got it here: http://www.satphonestore.com I spend most of the summer on the Olympic peninsula and Vancouver Island out of cell range and I'm not going to get stranded again. I'm planning to do Alaska on the bike and some backpacking in India in 2010 so I went with the Iridium phone as it has real world-wide coverage.

I would never attempt to do this repair on the side of the road if there was any possibility of getting to a shop. There are lots of good videos and walk throughs here on ADV and the web. I've seen the video on how to shim and will pull the fd and shim it myself. I repositioned the seal and put gear oil in the fd and it got me home from Mexico back to Seattle. There were no warning signs. I had been changing the fd oil every 3000 miles for six months before the trip considering if i should preemptively change the bearing and always only had normal sludge on the drain plug. I had limited myself to 70 lbs of gear on the bike when planning the trip and I weigh only 160 lbs. I was solo. The bike had 52730 miles on it when I stopped to pee. I ride almost every day of the year unless there is packed ice and snow, a little over 2000 miles every month.

There is report on Horizons Unlimited on using precision angled bearings. That seems promising. I may do that next time the bearing begins to fail.

Ride in peace!

james

Enprize screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 07:27 PM
Enprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #237
MRFRITZ
advwannabe

Oddometer: 583
glad you made it out ok, and made it home ,is there a way to contact the 3 amigos just in case?
MRFRITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #238
TedsGlobeStomper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
guesssssss I'm lucky????

07 gs over forty-one thousand miles F-d looks like new love this thing!!! lot'a two up and she wheelies pretty good.
TedsGlobeStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #239
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogorilla
I had this bearing replaced by a BM dealer in Sydney
less than 5000Ks ago at a cost of roughly 900 bucks.

My question is " will the bastards fix it for free ?"
BMW installed parts come with 2 year warranty.

My FD failed at 57K two days before my Extended Warranty ran out.

Hope you made the cut-off date. Did they fix it?

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #240
Zigger
bornlate

Oddometer: 21
final drive?

cgdR

I saw your quote below. Do you have the evo paralever rear end? I've got a clicking noise coming from the rear end on my 05GS with 17K on it, and the dealer tells me I need a new FD. (Say they also see evidence of a leaking seal, although they had it 1000 miles ago and didn't say anything.) I don't want to shell $2K, so am thinking of digging in on my own. How much work went into your replacement? Got any pics? Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgdR
I rode bike for about 1500 miles on a rough crown bearing. After disassembly, I found one pitted ball and a pitted race. The seals and gears were in such good shape (@42,000 mi) that the only thing I replaced was the bearing (about $110). Total time for replacement: about 3 hours. Those are FD failures we can handle!