ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.45%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 107 36.39%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.78%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.37%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #91
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer: 2,869
Anyone know what the other beemers final drive ratio's are?
Couldn't find the information anywhere... And would a K12RS final drive fit an R1150gs? Just wondering since the used 3.0 final drive I put on is about to go out... Might have to get another used one... Thanks guys
R1100RT
R1150RT
R1100R
R1100RS
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
But i still hate you. As long as that's clear, you can have your cheese
ARRRGGGHHNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #92
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
It is shimmed -
Crap. I always thought this was what made rebuilding a rear-diff such a bear. You get gear tension wrong due to lack of correct shims and either noise or premature failure. How does one determine the correct number of shims, is it based on grease marks to confirm mesh?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #93
drdata
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRRGGGHHNUT
Anyone know what the other beemers final drive ratio's are?
No expert, but I think not. The 12's have a modified FD (hole though center, sealed for life). I suspect it is a different bearing, but this is not confirmed. Let me know if you hear otherwise.

Regards
Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #94
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdata
No expert, but I think not. The 12's have a modified FD (hole though center, sealed for life). I suspect it is a different bearing, but this is not confirmed. Let me know if you hear otherwise.

Regards
Hey Doc, thanks for your help, but I never said anything about a R12 since I know they won't fit,
but I believe the K12RS final drive will fit a R11XXX. And the R11XX drives will fit onto each others bike(w/o thinking of abs holes).
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
But i still hate you. As long as that's clear, you can have your cheese
ARRRGGGHHNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 AM   #95
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
My rear wheel has no play in it or leak - but when rotated by hand it makes a slight rumbly noise and does sound dry. Spins easily. Am I right in saying that the sound should be virtually silent and smooth and I should as a precausion replace the bearing???

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #96
drdata
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM
My rear wheel has no play in it or leak - but when rotated by hand it makes a slight rumbly noise and does sound dry. Spins easily. Am I right in saying that the sound should be virtually silent and smooth and I should as a precausion replace the bearing???
I think this is nromal, at least it sounds like my bike. I did not detect this on any showroom models, however. Also, seems to be worse when cold. I desribe as sort of a flapping sound; the wheel itself rotates smoothly.

Regards
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #97
Red Roadster
Roaming Redneck

Oddometer: 260
03 23K noticed a slight vibration/noise while on a Sunday ride. Rode home and found play in the FD. Dealer fixed under warrenty. Oh, my bikes a R1150R, I didn't think they had a problem with these.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #98
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 177
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Mine failed coming back from Spokane last summer. Two up pulling out of a gas stop when I heard a squishy sound. Oil on the rear tire. Then she dumped her guts. Only had 50, 000 km on the clock. Pulled the rear tire and a piece of bearing cage had cut the seal. Nowhere Saskatchewan 3,500kms from home. Dealer "A" 500kms the wrong way basically told me they were swamped and to piss off. Dealer "B" 1000km the right way said "yeah bring me the bike and we will talke a look".
Luckily I'm originally from Nowhere Sask and an Uncle "A" with trailer was on site in 3 hours. Uncle "B" knew a Harley shop in Regina with a mech who had BMW experience. Friday AM drop off bike. Friday PM parts shipped by bus from Dealer "B" in Winnipeg. Monday AM scooter is ready. So far so good. Made it back from Ohio and at 61,000 she's still oil tight.
PS - I thought the Ohio MOA was pretty weak...
"dealer A wouldn't have been Blackfoot in Calgary, by chance? They told me the same thing about mounting a tire. Medicine Hat HD fixed me right up.
BHumW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #99
BHumW
so many roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow
Hey Whammo,
I'd talk to BMW NA about this one....they should at least cover the parts...
36K on what, an '02 GS Adv.?
Isn't it a 3 year 36K warranty
Either way the worst NA could do is say no.
Pricks!

Cheers,
Jorge
...and if you adjust for speedo error you're still in warrantly by a long shot...
Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #100
BHumW
so many roads...

'03 GS Adventure, 57k miles. Failed in Glascow, MT late Friday afternoon, July 29th. Nearest dealer 400+ miles in wrong direction. U-hauls busiest weekend of the year, no trucks available w/in 400 miles. Boeing in town to do some testing, rented all 50 vehicles. Had to buy old GMC pickup to get home to MN, $1600. Motel, gas, food and oil $300. Bike still in shop waiting for repair, estimated cost to repair $350, not warrantied. Pride in BMW ownership and premature end to vacation, priceless...

As was noted earlier, wide range (mileage) of failures in the GS 1100 and 1150 series. Not so many in street oriented versions w/ the exception of the K12LT. Same bearing and same failures.

It would seem this is part of the "BMW owner experience". And most don't seem to mind the added expense and inconvenience. Why is that? Is it that as BMW ON recently reported that the avg BMW owner makes $96,000 a yr. and owns 2 BMW motorcycles so paying $1000-2000 for towing and repairs is not a big deal? Fly home and ride the other bike. That's not my situation. Is it that we should consider this "normal" maintenance for a bike that is marketed as a global adventure riding motorcycle? When this happens in the middle of Africa, Mexico, South American, or Mongolia what does one do. My Honda Sabre went a lot of the same places the GS did, w/ no hint of final drive problems in 200k miles. I know for me I purchased the GS (dispite warnings and knowlege of these failures) because it is the only bike w/ all the features that I wanted-big DP, shaft drive, big tank, suspension, etc. I figured the FD failures were what happened to the other guys and was due to abuse or lack of maintenance or some such thing. Now I know that's not the case. Somehow it doesn't feel right that this has been allowed to continue for so long, not unlike the surging. It would perhaps be more tolerable if there was an upgrade offered by BMW (even for additional cost) or the aftermarket, or a recommended service interval but both of these would require BMW to assume responsibility for "design error". Instead it seems they have chosen to place the responsibility on the owner, that somehow they are operating the bike incorrectly. And have quietly fixed both problems on the 1200, as least so it seems...

If I keep the GS I guess it means as suggested earlier that I will need to replace the bearing and seal at some regular interval and hope that it will be sufficient. This will have to do until Honda makes a large, V-twin, shaft drive Adventure touring bike and brings it to the US...
Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 AM   #101
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
"dealer A wouldn't have been Blackfoot in Calgary, by chance? They told me the same thing about mounting a tire. Medicine Hat HD fixed me right up.
Musta been since they are the only game in town. Recently heard that there is a good private BM mech in Calgary. Just another in a long list of bad BMW dealer experiences. Recently the only dealer in Montreal misbalanced 2 new Tourances. Front had nine blocks of lead and rear had ten. Nice little wobble. Front now has 1 and rear 2 little 7 gram weights. Other than tire mounting my GS has been BMW dealer free for over 50,000 kms.
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #102
BHumW
so many roads...

The bike has been feeling "loose" most of the season. I attributed this to shocks. The bike has been in for two scheduled services in the past 6 months. The last one (the end of June) the input shaft was lubed so most of the FD was disasembled, checked, lubed and reasembled. Clean bill of health. On the trip to AK lots of different fibrations were experienced through the foot pegs- an Overdrive surging due to poor gas, tire blemishes wearing through, etc. Each time the thought was "is this the one?" Then the one that utlimately proved fatal, started in Shelby, could be felt some what in all gears, but still felt like engine fibration though more distinct. Checked lugnuts, wheel play, looked for leaks, all seemed to be fine. Then about 8 miles out of Glasgow, the rear did a slight wiggle and everything ran smooth for a couple seconds, then returned, with an occasional "catch".
Reduced speed and rode into town and stopped at first gas station. As soon as I stopped I smelled the gear lube and knew... BMW synthetic change at less than 12k miles by the way.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #103
roscoes2
greybeard

Oddometer: 10
hello

new to the site and have been following the final drive thread with interest. Own an 02 r1150gsa.
Have read on other bmw sites that there may be a problem in the 61917 c3 ball carrier/separator.
Have a FAG 61917 c3 bmw part no.33121242210 that has 19 balls and would appear to be the bearing that has failed in most of the photos on the web.
The SKF 61917 c3 would appear to have 17 balls and a slightly different carrier/separator.
Has anyone suffered a bearing failure with the 17 ball SKF?
There is also apparently a brass carrier/separator 61917 c3 available, brand unknown. Can anyone supply the manufacturer for this?

Thankyou

Ross
roscoes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #104
cgdR
Gearhead

Oddometer: 73
It seems like the 17-ball bearing is indeed the more recent one. Here is an interesting link.
cgdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #105
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Mine failed at about 24K. I noticed a problem and leakage while on the road and took the thing to the dealer. Chris cheecked and verified what I had checked. Bad. They found failed bearings a failed pinon seal, and failed output seal for the transmission. All repaired under warrantee. 24K later, and I'm waiting for the next failure. On my dime this time.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote