ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.53%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 106 36.18%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.80%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.49%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #106
Cycletroll
Catastrophe Specialist
 
Cycletroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,082
FD seal

My FD outer seal started leaking at about 12k. Finished the trip I was on (about 400 more miles-leak was small), rode back to the dealer. They replaced seal (under warranty). No problem since. Supposedly the seal has been changed/upgraded since the '05 model.
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #107
motojournals
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 3
Death at 50,000 miles

2000 GS here. My final drive died at 300 miles short of 50k - right on schedule, I believe. Lots of noise. I stopped twice thinking something was rubbing on the wheel or the brakes were dragging. Was able to drive slowly (40mph or less) about 50 miles and made it to a dealer.
motojournals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #108
BHumW
so many roads...
 
BHumW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Waterloo, IA
Oddometer: 169
2nd Failure

FD failed again 14K miles after last repair. Goes into shop on Monday. Last repair guaranteed for 2 yrs. so should be taken care of. Doesn't help w/ the inconvenience of getting home from the back woods. I was hoping I could count on 40k and would replace under "preventative maintenance". Sounds like the 1200's are having troubles as well. Time for a KTM?
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #109
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
FD failed again 14K miles after last repair. Goes into shop on Monday. Last repair guaranteed for 2 yrs. so should be taken care of. Doesn't help w/ the inconvenience of getting home from the back woods. I was hoping I could count on 40k and would replace under "preventative maintenance". Sounds like the 1200's are having troubles as well. Time for a KTM?
Sucks, yeah.
Carry a big bearing and seal with you when going on long and/or important trips. You might only lose 1/2 a day to a full day that way....and be back roaring again.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #110
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,671
So are there any 'warning signs?' that y'all have in common? I'm getting an intermittent rumbling in my RT and now I'm REAL concerned!



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:10 AM   #111
raydar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
raydar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Central Wyoming
Oddometer: 222
Wink R 1200 GS Final Drive Bearing

I have a '05 R12 GS and have recently had a rear wheel drive flange failure, not an actual bearing or seal failure although the final drive was replaced because the drive flange is splined to the Crown gear and when one gets loose it wears the other. From what I've seen the final drive bearings on the 12GS are different than the 1150, infact as close as I can tell there are many differences.

The final drive bearing on an R12 GS is a 6013 2RS which is a single row ball bearing with seals on both sides. In looking at the mico fiche parts breakdown from AS Cycles http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_..._frameset.html Diagram 33_1265 of the final drive shows the 6013 2RS bearing item #7 is mounted outside of the seal item #9. This information along with the fact that the bearing is sealed on both sides is telling me that this bearing is not lubricated by the oil in the final drive. In my experience it is packed with grease from the bearing manufacturer. The other bearing item #10 is a needle bearing in the R12 GS and I believe it is lubricated by the oil inside of the drive. This is in contrast to a tapered roller bearing that I saw in the earlier posts on this thread and the ball bearing which both appear to be oil lubed on the 1150(?).

The drive flange on the R 12 GS is heated and shrunk onto the crown gear shaft and the shop manual says it requires a puller to remove it before the final drive can be torn completely down. This is going to cause some problems in repairing the R 12GS FD on the road IMHO. I have read some threads where the bearing on the input shaft to the FD failed and not the ouput bearing.

Yes BMW has made some changes to the FD from the 1150 to the 1200, wheter or not they were all for the better is yet to be determined. There is evidence on this site and others (BMW MOA) that says maybe not everything has been fixed. I know that I am going to pay very close attention to my final drive in the future including checking temperature, unloaded turning, and shake of the rear wheel. I will change the oil in my new FD at 600 miles and then probably every 6K after that. The closest dealer to me is 175 miles and I don't expect if a failure occurs I would be a whole lot closer to one. I do believe that much of the discussion on this site has given me a much better understanding of what is happening to these bikes and how I can be better prepared to discover and prevent further damage from happening. I know I am planning to keep my R12 GS beyond the expiration of the 3 year / 36K mille warranty. If I do I will need to be able to maintain and repair the FD! Lets keep up the informative discussion.
__________________
"A hefty hunk, steaming junk." James Taylor, Steamroller Blues
IBA # 38611
raydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 AM   #112
BHumW
so many roads...
 
BHumW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Waterloo, IA
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
So are there any 'warning signs?' that y'all have in common? I'm getting an intermittent rumbling in my RT and now I'm REAL concerned!



M
An odd vibration in the footpegs and sometimes in the handlebars. It almost feels like it surges, as if it's a result of the fuel injection surging. Also tends to feel a bit like it's connected to the suspension, as the vibration seemed to match road irregularities. I remember thinking "I need to have this checked at the next service..." That would be the time to check for side to side and top to bottom movement in the rear wheel. I didn't cause there was no way it was the bearing again... Denial.
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #113
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Sucks, yeah.
Carry a big bearing and seal with you when going on long and/or important trips. You might only lose 1/2 a day to a full day that way....and be back roaring again.
That's exactly what I been doing. I waited 6 weeks for the parts as they were on backorder.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #114
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
An odd vibration in the footpegs and sometimes in the handlebars. It almost feels like it surges, as if it's a result of the fuel injection surging. Also tends to feel a bit like it's connected to the suspension, as the vibration seemed to match road irregularities. I remember thinking "I need to have this checked at the next service..." That would be the time to check for side to side and top to bottom movement in the rear wheel. I didn't cause there was no way it was the bearing again... Denial.
...and off to SC BMW I go!

Right after I get some $$...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #115
Gusgus
Banned
 
Gusgus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Su Valley, Alaska
Oddometer: 5,308
answers in poll all wrong for me

I am a mechanic, and have a full time need to micro manage every perceived threat.
I have noticed for some time the seep of the final drive pinion seal inside the final drive. I changed the oil in the final drive every 1500 to 2000 miles from new. When I took the final drive apart it was as if it was new, even at 40,000 miles. I replaced the ring gear with the 17 ball variety while I was in there. But the pinion seal is not an average seal replacement. It requires quite a few specialized tools. I bought them, I planned it all out and promptly terrorized myself in the disassembly process. The resulting damage was somewhat corrected although it is not over yet. Since the initial rebuild, I have found the oil leak is actually from the transmission output shaft seal. I have taken the swing arm off 4 times as of now and I plan even, as I write this of #5, which will be closely followed by the transmission removal and rebuild. The oil leak has advanced to a stiffeling amount. Marking it's territory as if it is my old Harley.

So none of the poll answers make since to an anal mechanic type.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #116
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
I am a mechanic, and have a full time need to micro manage every perceived threat.
I have noticed for some time the seep of the final drive pinion seal inside the final drive. I changed the oil in the final drive every 1500 to 2000 miles from new. When I took the final drive apart it was as if it was new, even at 40,000 miles. I replaced the ring gear with the 17 ball variety while I was in there. But the pinion seal is not an average seal replacement. It requires quite a few specialized tools. I bought them, I planned it all out and promptly terrorized myself in the disassembly process. The resulting damage was somewhat corrected although it is not over yet. Since the initial rebuild, I have found the oil leak is actually from the transmission output shaft seal. I have taken the swing arm off 4 times as of now and I plan even, as I write this of #5, which will be closely followed by the transmission removal and rebuild. The oil leak has advanced to a stiffeling amount. Marking it's territory as if it is my old Harley.

So none of the poll answers make since to an anal mechanic type.
The term is 'retentive' not 'anal' unless you prefer your sex unconventionally.

I have to wonder after reading your post why you bother. Why not just dump the bike and get a chain drive one?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #117
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
The term is 'retentive' not 'anal' unless you prefer your sex unconventionally.

I have to wonder after reading your post why you bother. Why not just dump the bike and get a chain drive one?
Dear Dr Slide,

The man listed what he had been doing to his final drive, experience with an input seal, reported a trans real leak...and that he plans to address this.

How in-the-Hell is your response to his post even close to being relevant? Maybe you're trying to help him with his terminology...perhaps?

Did you and DrABS have a little tiff today?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #118
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
No problem yet.
Still no problems at 48,000 miles.
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #119
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
An odd vibration in the footpegs.....
That's been mine, too.

I tried denial on my 2nd one...same result as your attempt.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #120
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Still no problems at 48,000 miles.


My original went fine until about 80k.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014