ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How did your failure happen?
No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot. 66 22.45%
Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation 107 36.39%
Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later 17 5.78%
Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure 104 35.37%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #121
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,021
Not sure yet..

....I just took my 04 in for the 18K check up and there is some oil leaking out of the front of final drive (not much) but it seams to me that seals should last more than 18K guess I will get the word on Tuesday if I have a problem, but it might be related to getting rearended by a car 8k ago......other then that I love the bike......
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #122
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
The term is 'retentive' not 'anal' unless you prefer your sex unconventionally.

I have to wonder after reading your post why you bother. Why not just dump the bike and get a chain drive one?
HMMMM, This may be the first time I heard an explanation of anal versus retentive, actually your wrong.

anal ; related to, or situated near an anus.
I'm thinking I need to quit speaking to you then.
Talking to you, one large anus is anal, OH I see now!

retentive ; tending or serving to retain. WHA?

What would I be retaining? My sweet GS? I guess retentive could actually be right in that context.

Chain? That's as crazy as belt drives.

OK I'm picky, does that feel better, grammer bitch?

You are F'n nuts you know....
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #123
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave
....I just took my 04 in for the 18K check up and there is some oil leaking out of the front of final drive (not much) but it seams to me that seals should last more than 18K guess I will get the word on Tuesday if I have a problem, but it might be related to getting rearended by a car 8k ago......other then that I love the bike......
Mine did the black/dirt oil film dance around the plastic too...for all of it's life.
That never became a prob....for me.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #124
Gusgus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Mine did the black/dirt oil film dance around the plastic too...for all of it's life.
That is what prompted me to address it. That oily film and being the only one in a group of 20 or so GS's. I figured it was destined to fail. Dangett. I now wish I had waited for failure. I maybe, would still be riding.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #125
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,894
Gear Lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentspoke
We have a lot of mills here, and our local bearing supplier services them and helps diagnose bearing failures. One of the employees teaches this class at our community college, and I jumped at the chance, very interesting.
One semester, all about bearings.
My Airhead has two tapered roller bearings on the rear axle, PLUS the main bearings supporting the final drive bevel gears. I do not remember hearing of one ever failing.
bentspoke: you seem to be the only one on the thread with positive info.In the bearing class you took did they talk about lube ? My buddy an old time Ducati dealer, and another of his bevelhead customers (Ford Engineer)postulate that roller and ball bearings don't do well in multi wt lubes the balls/rollers tend to skid rather than roll thru the multi wt lube, they always use straight wt oils in the bevelhead engines which are all ball or rollers bearings, I like a industrail 90w from http://www.schaefferoil.com/gear_oils/209A.html
the FD oil is a coolant more than a lubricant.DB
Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #126
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider

then I will hope that it is the same for me as well.....thanks LR..

Dave
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #127
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
HMMMM, This may be the first time I heard an explanation of anal versus retentive, actually your wrong.
The term is "you're wrong" not "your wrong" which isn't even sensible.

I figure if you use terms and words you don't understand in some areas, then you probably do in all areas.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #128
Gusgus
Banned

I do wish I had left my FD alone. Not going after the illusive leak. But my lack of understanding with the final drive and or the swingarm, actually pushed me on. I wanted it to remain clean, dry and at the same time I wanted to see what made it tick. I now know a small portion of the final drives secrets.

I now know one reason why the ring bearing (on the 1150) reduced the ball count. Manufacturer. A change of production facilities and the ball count was reduced by 2 from 19 to 17. My '02 had the 19 ball. They have (as near as I have found) not had any failures of the 17 count bearings. Maybe it was redesigned for cooling, contamination clearing, more load applied per ballbearing could actually be the reason. I don't know.
The ring bearings are relatively easy to change. I didn't mess with the pinion bearing, just the seal. Which was interesting. Removal of the pinion seal carrier and pinion nut require some expensive special tooling.

If anyone here is thinking of attacking the job themselves please PM me, I would be happy to help.

Transmission next!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #129
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 146
illusive - an ill illusion???
elusive - the thing you can't find..
elude - to escape
elysium - state of great happiness

the elusive elydium eluded me.... and still does....
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #130
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 146
oops, and rule 1: don't f8ck with the f8cked.....

Ganjora screwed with this post 09-25-2006 at 11:26 AM Reason: spillngth
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #131
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Wow. Pages of diatribe, confusion and insults. Never in my life of over 40 motorcycles, including 7 BMs, have I witnessed such chaos. I've worked in service centers for every major brand and only with a BMW does this sort of crap continue year after year, only to be followed by a new! improved! it's the best! roll out to befudle the public. Over and over. There are a lot of drive shaft driven bikes of other brands without the fuss. There are a lot of happy riders running chains and this applies to most bikes world wide.

So, let's hear it. Indignation. How dare I make such observations.
slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #132
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
slipknot is now the enemy of the Defenders of the Roundel.

While you're at it, you want to comment on the Death Brakes or surging?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #133
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
I do wish I had left my FD alone. Not going after the illusive leak. But my lack of understanding with the final drive and or the swingarm, actually pushed me on. I wanted it to remain clean, dry and at the same time I wanted to see what made it tick. I now know a small portion of the final drives secrets.

I now know one reason why the ring bearing (on the 1150) reduced the ball count. Manufacturer. A change of production facilities and the ball count was reduced by 2 from 19 to 17. My '02 had the 19 ball. They have (as near as I have found) not had any failures of the 17 count bearings. Maybe it was redesigned for cooling, contamination clearing, more load applied per ballbearing could actually be the reason. I don't know.
The ring bearings are relatively easy to change.

The bearing that just failed was the 17 ball type at 14k miles!? So much for a "fix". The one that failed before was the 19 at 58k miles. The replacement this time is back to the 19. The manufacturer, distributer, BMW has come full circle to the original bearing. This Part# has been superceded three times in the last few years and has now returned to the beginning according to my mechanic.

He replaces about 15-20 of these a year mostly GSs and LTs. About 75% never come back. A friend I know w/ an identical GS Adv. has done 3 bearings and I heard has sold the bike. Don't know if one caused the other.

Perhaps it's the color, we have the "slower" Black models. I wonder if the Silver one's have as much trouble?

It would seem, indeed, that this is a design problem (Goldwings don't have near this much of a problem but also have some serious bearings) but we will never hear that. So, it seems, get a different bike or get a bearing and seal to throw in the bottom of the panniers for the next trip to AK... Time will tell.
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #134
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW
He replaces about 15-20 of these a year mostly GSs and LTs. About 75% never come back. A friend I know w/ an identical GS Adv. has done 3 bearings and I heard has sold the bike. Don't know if one caused the other.
Finally! Some facts. Now if we were only able to get this same info from all the BMW dealers in the U.S., we'd then be able to calculate a percentage of bikes that fail, thus a failure rate, and thus a class action suit.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #135
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,894
Slipknots Wisdom !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot
Wow. Pages of diatribe, confusion and insults. Never in my life of over 40 motorcycles, including 7 BMs, have I witnessed such chaos. I've worked in service centers for every major brand and only with a BMW does this sort of crap continue year after year, only to be followed by a new! improved! it's the best! roll out to befudle the public. Over and over. There are a lot of drive shaft driven bikes of other brands without the fuss. There are a lot of happy riders running chains and this applies to most bikes world wide.

So, let's hear it. Indignation. How dare I make such observations.
Slipknot your not altogether wrong, but who else would take themselves this seriously, its almost a form of Narcissism mixed with "mines bigger than yours" to much time,money and now the internet where we all let the world know how important, involved,concerned we all are, and lots of us ride more than some of those other brand owners.
But hey they're alot more interesting than the engineers who all agree that the Honda VFR was the greatest motorcycle ever designed and the rest of the world would be much happier if we all owned one.DB

davebig screwed with this post 09-25-2006 at 09:45 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote