ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
cormacpara OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Seeking advice for routes SF to Medford area

Planning a little solo adventure starting from Ventura to the Medford area. I am planning on heading up thru big sur to the bay then once past SF, it is all foreign to me.

If anyone has any cool tracks or routes I would be super grateful! I'm heading up to catch a paragliding competition and someone (thankfully) will be hauling my gear up there.

Looking for dirt, twistys, and some not to be missed spots or camping spots if possible. I'm scouring the net and other people's tracks but haven't found much yet.

Any help would be awesome! If you want to join up as well, the more the merrier! (I may be able to get you a tandem paragliding flight as well ; )
Dates are 6/25-7/2

Cheers!
cormacpara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
After you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, there are a couple cool things to see/taste in the Petaluma-Point Reyes area. Out in the estero, Drakes Bay Oyster Company has huge delicious oysters. They may be closed by the time you are in the area, however, due to a court case to return the land to wilderness. On the Petaluma side, Lagunitas Brewery has a bunch of good beers on tap. My favorite so far are the SF Fusion and the Fusion 14. Fusion 16 doesn't really fit the name, since it has nowhere near the hops implied by the name. There is a $60 motel a few doors down.

There are a few dirt roads along your route that lead from the coast to Hwy 101, but I would chose the coastal route every time through there.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I have mixed feelings about Hwy 1 north of San Francisco. It can be a very fun ride when there is no traffic and there is a considerable amount of enforcement on it. I have to always keep that in mind.
Generally when I go that way, I zig zag my way up the coast on back roads but it takes a lot of time to do this.
About 38 miles north of Fort Bragg on Hwy 1 is the beginning of the Lost Coast, The Shelter Cove area.
Usal Road off of Hwy 1 is a, usually, easy dirt road which intersects Shelter Cove Rd. There are several camping areas along Usual too.
Shelter Cove is worth a visit.
From Shelter Cove Rd one can take Kings Peak Rd to Honeydew which is mostly a dirt rd.
From Honeydew take Mattole Rd to Ferndale and 101 North. A very fun and scenic ride with little or no traffic.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote