User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Oils available in canada

Valvoline vr1 not available in Canada. What works best on flat tappet engines and is available in Canada. Napa or Canadian tire.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 653
I expect Lucas do something suitable.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Castrol GTX or V Twin 20w50
Amsoil Synthetic - if want to pay big bucks

Both available at CTC

I like Motul lube products available at most motorcycle shops...they make dino, semi synthetic and full synthetic and cover most requirements for an airhead i.e. engine oil, gearbox, drive shaft, final drive and fork oils..all in viscositys needed

Some further reading here if you're concerned about ZDDP levels for old flat tappet engines - you may just drive yourself crazy :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871700

moosehead screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 07:06 PM Reason: add'l info
moosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I have been using Castrol GTX 20/50 with the SG rating for the past 40 years on all my bikes, including many airheads. It is available just about everywhere. As far as I am concerned, it is the oil of choice.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I have been using Castrol GTX 20/50 with the SG rating for the past 40 years on all my bikes, including many airheads. It is available just about everywhere. As far as I am concerned, it is the oil of choice.

+1

Available at Walmart, Canadian Tire, buy extra when it's on sale.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Lots of it in Alberta
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
I meant to post this here but put it in the 'Additive' thread instead:

On the advice of this forum, I quit using Castrol GTX and switched to Spectro 4 for my airhead. It was stated that the Castrol product is formulated differently than in Europe and Spectro 4 was the way to go. This was from one of those dreaded oil threads of several years ago.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,836
I wonder if the Canadian BMW dealers get the same oil we do in the States? BMW 20/50 mineral oil is Spectro oil down here but a couple of buck cheaper per quart than Spectro. Last time I saw it tested it has more of the good stuff than regular Spectro and that had way more of it than about any oil you could get at a Auto parts store. I use BMW oil. Good oil at a great price. At least here in the States.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Two BMW Dealers in Vancouver - owned by the same company supposedly. One stocks Spectro, the other stocks Motul products. I've never seen a BMW specific oil in my seven years of ownership, up here in Canada. I just buy a whole bunch of Spectro gallon jugs and keep it handy on the shelf.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I see no reason whatsoever to buy anything for my old airheads at the stealerships here in Canada. I find that the majority of stuff they carry is way over priced.

But, if you have lots of money, then go right ahead and buy your oil there. Don't forget to get your tires topped up with official OEM BMW air while you are there.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,836
Now that's just crazy talk. I don't know how stuff is priced up there. Down here, suggested retail for BMW oil is a real good deal. Cheaper than the Spectro equivalent anywhere else that I have seen. Granted, prices have been going through the roof lately but part of that is for BMW keeping the same basic prices for 20 years up till a few years back but those day are for sure over now.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
please show me a pic of what you use. i want to make sure i am getting the right thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oil is cheaper than parts - I'll pay a bit more in this area. On the whole the bike costs me very little - one of the cheaper hobbies that I've ever had. Who would have thought - a Canadian oil thread all on its own.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
In a comparo a long time ago Castrol GTX had pretty much the same additive package as the BMW branded Golden Spectro, but it had around half the amount. It was also around half the price

So it seemed that if you changed the GTX at half the recommended intervals you would get the same protection as using the correct oil, at pretty much the same cost.

But oils change all the time, even 40 year old formulations like GTX, and a 20 year old comparo probably isnt worth much.

Best to ask the same question over on Bobistheoilguy forum - these guys actually know something about oil and will pick up on a change in formulation within a week.
And when they ask why the answer will come from the guy who makes the oil, not from someone quoting from a twenty year old amateur comparo.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

We use full synthetics at work - I'll go through a case per day doing oil 'uplifts' to the aircraft doing the many flights that we have. This isn't cheap shit. So I'm assuming that there might be $500 bucks worth of oil in a case - (my guess here). Maybe I'm therefore blasé to the cost of my own oil and springing the extra bucks for the better kind doesn't register too high on the concern scale. Don't worry, I'm usually a fairly frugal fella....