User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
lc4r OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question LC4 speedometer sensor

Hey guys, im from greece and i'm owner of a LC4 2002 the last 6 months.

i read the forum and i really enjoy the guides and the other posts but i think that after my period of adolescence is time to start a new post..

Yesterday i changed the front wheel bearing (really a hard job because the one of them was destroyed and it collapsed so i had to remove the outer ring ) and i "forgot" to properly fasten a screw and today after ~100 km i heard a noice from the front of my lc4. i parked and i noticed that one screw was loosen and hitting on the fork protection.

I fastened the screw and i returned to home to add loctite. after a dozen kms i saw that the speedometer was displaying 0, i'm not sure if that happened after the screw incident or during the later ride..

I have the later speedometer sensor (and speedometer), the one of the 2005 lc4 prestige sm (just like many parts of my bike - i bought it 3rd hand so i don't know where every part came from)..
the ktm part number seams to be 58214069150 SPEEDOMETER SENSOR ADV. 2002 and looks like

Now for the solution...
As the ktm part is really expensive (i will call tomo morning - here is 10pm at the local dealer to confirm that) and the moment i'm writing that, i was not able to find an used part, i would like to know if it's possible to replace that sensor with a cheeper or available used part.

i found a couple of speed sensors for 960 and 990 at lower prices and i wonder if thay can do the job..

As long as my current and possibly broken sensor works with the disk brake srews will any sensor working the same way (and not with a single magnet) work?

tommorow i will remove the sensor and check with multimeter if it works. the normal is to close circuit every time a screw passes by?

if yes i'm thinking to use a magnet switch like those home alarms using, as i don't think i will invest 60-70E for the part

as i see here http://www.ktmpartsexpress.com/pages...5%2f1M15160047 the above number part is replaced by the 58214068100 SPEEDOMETER SENSOR 10

any help will be grateful.
lc4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Three wires?

That is probably hall sensor, like on older adventures (touratech imo).

Simple reed switches normally use two wire, and are wery cheap.

Check that distance from sensor to brake disk bolts is correct, too mutch gap and sensor dosnt register bolts passing.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
lc4r OP
n00b

Seikkailu_R because it's night i will dismantle the front wheel tomorrow morning so i will be sure if it's 2 or 3 wires and in addition i will the check the condition of the screws (maybe they are damaged because of hitting the fork protector and eventually the speed sensor)

3 "dry" (tomorrow more detailed) questions:
  • what i get from a multimeter when a screw passes near the sensor?
  • why there are different sensors on different models? hasn't all the same function: sending signal (close or open circuit whatever) to speedometer ?
  • if it's a hall or reed switch can i replace it with something like that: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1999-ND/701354 or something similar for the second case?
as i see here http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/ktm-spee...0-81361588.htm and http://www.bikersjersey.com/product/....aspx?id=39130 that part (named after a 02 adv) is with 2 wires
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc4r View Post
Seikkailu_R because it's night i will dismantle the front wheel tomorrow morning so i will be sure if it's 2 or 3 wires and in addition i will the check the condition of the screws (maybe they are damaged because of hitting the fork protector and eventually the speed sensor)

3 "dry" (tomorrow more detailed) questions:
  • what i get from a multimeter when a screw passes near the sensor?
  • why there are different sensors on different models? hasn't all the same function: sending signal (close or open circuit whatever) to speedometer ?
  • if it's a hall or reed switch can i replace it with something like that: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1999-ND/701354 or something similar for the second case?
as i see here http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/ktm-spee...0-81361588.htm and http://www.bikersjersey.com/product/....aspx?id=39130 that part (named after a 02 adv) is with 2 wires
Any progress?

You dont get any readings directly from sensor, it needs electricity from speedometer to work.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I had the same problem a couple of months ago, before you buy anything please check all the bolts are clean, yes i know it sounds daft but with me all it was, was rotor bolts covered in crude that somehow interfered with signal to pick up sensor, on the morning of ordering a new sensor i gave the wheels a good scrub(along with the rest of the bike) then went for a burn, low and behold speedo working, that was months ago and its still fine, worth a look.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
lc4r OP
n00b

nice idea to clean the screws (some are really rusty) but the weird thing is that the sensor was working at the morning and the evening i noticed that it stopped working so it not so possible to make it work after cleaning - scrubing

still no update because yesterday morning before the front wheel disassemble i noticed a very bad noise coming from the clutch and i had, as i found, to change the ball bearing (or anything left) with a roller bearing.

during the weekend if the weather is bad i will continue researching the sensor problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I have a similar situation, i'm the process of converting my LC4 enduro to an adventure. Where does the sensor screw to the bike? on the caliper support arm? maybe I need a newer on specific for the adventure? picture?

the endure speedo drive is analog and I bout the drive cover from enduro engineering.

any help?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,788
On my '02 Adventure the sensor is on the inside of the carrier.

My wheel is on so it's almost invisible.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Here is where it's mounted.

It's a 3 wire sensor. I don't remember being able to get any reading from it when I was trouble shooting mine.

Wish you were in the states. When I got my bike the speedo read really weird speeds, like 12 mph while on the highway.
The previous owner had mounted the sensor on the fork slider guard because he had broken the sensor wire and soldered it back together but it wasn't long enough to go back in the original location. He told me the cable was bad so I ordered a new one. In the 2 weeks I was waiting for the part I figured out where the sensor was supposed to mount and soldered in an extra length so it would reach.

Soo..., now I've got a new cable as a spare.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 09:17 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
scottyb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
thank you
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote