User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Tell me about sand blast pressure pots

What can you tell me good or bad about pressure pots- and where to get the sweet deal. My application has nothing to do with sand blasting but actually delivery of abrasive to a smaller distribution (metering) hopper for my water jet. All I need to do is deliver the very fine abrasive at a low rate to this hopper about 12' away. It has to be a pressurized vessel to work properly and the word is there are inexspensive pressure pots for blasting out there that work great for this. But after some research I find no information saying buy this or dont buy that. My concern is that it is decent quality and only needs to hold 100+ lbs of sand (garnet in my case). I see a few out there "Bad Boy" and "eastwood" that look o.k., just wondering whats good and whats bad out there.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Not sure if this will help, but TP makes some really good blasting equipment.

http://www.tptools.com/

Eastwood sells good stuff also, I have had great luck with mine, consumable parts and support are good.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
scrubby81
Auto Builder

Oddometer: 138
find an old air propane tank cut top off it and burn new one on that fits your needs drill hole in bottom and burn a fitting in it just make sure its clean and empty before cutting it apart lol

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,068
I have a 80# harbor freight unit that I used outside for blasting machinery castings. Worked fine until you got any moisture in it and it would clog. Cheap though.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I have a 80# harbor freight unit that I used outside for blasting machinery castings. Worked fine until you got any moisture in it and it would clog. Cheap though.
Good point. Moisture=Bad. Keep your media strained, sifted and dry.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
What can you tell me good or bad about pressure pots- and where to get the sweet deal. My application has nothing to do with sand blasting but actually delivery of abrasive to a smaller distribution (metering) hopper for my water jet. All I need to do is deliver the very fine abrasive at a low rate to this hopper about 12' away. It has to be a pressurized vessel to work properly and the word is there are inexspensive pressure pots for blasting out there that work great for this. But after some research I find no information saying buy this or dont buy that. My concern is that it is decent quality and only needs to hold 100+ lbs of sand (garnet in my case). I see a few out there "Bad Boy" and "eastwood" that look o.k., just wondering whats good and whats bad out there.
What are you doing with all the extra air you get w/ the abrasive? Dispensing to a closed vessel is different than to free air.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
What are you doing with all the extra air you get w/ the abrasive? Dispensing to a closed vessel is different than to free air.

When the abrasive and the "extra" air get to the metering hopper, the air is vented out so that the abrasive can be drawn into the cutting head at a metered amount. The pressure to move the abrasive from the large hopper (blast pot) to the metering hopper is only set at 12-15 psi . It only has to keep up with just over a 1/2# a minute during actual cutting. I think I know where you are coming from on this- if the metering hopper were not vented, you would not be able to fill it because the air could not deliver it.
I appreciate the insight , thinking like this is whats going to help keep me from making the wrong investment. This is not so much that I am too cheap to buy the factory hopper ( even tho I am ) , but the factory hopper retails for about $5000.00 - yes 5K for something that is not much more then a blast pot - just bigger them most. So you can see why I am trying to find the cost effective alternative
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
When the abrasive and the "extra" air get to the metering hopper, the air is vented out so that the abrasive can be drawn into the cutting head at a metered amount. The pressure to move the abrasive from the large hopper (blast pot) to the metering hopper is only set at 12-15 psi . It only has to keep up with just over a 1/2# a minute during actual cutting. I think I know where you are coming from on this- if the metering hopper were not vented, you would not be able to fill it because the air could not deliver it.
I appreciate the insight , thinking like this is whats going to help keep me from making the wrong investment. This is not so much that I am too cheap to buy the factory hopper ( even tho I am ) , but the factory hopper retails for about $5000.00 - yes 5K for something that is not much more then a blast pot - just bigger them most. So you can see why I am trying to find the cost effective alternative
mmm...very low feed pressure. Venting air without venting abrasive too might be tricky. But what you don't need is the blast nozzle and valve and that's where quality matters. I'd get the cheapest pot HF has or buy a used one (often the nozzle and valve is good and worn). I've owned a few, the last was a huge thing ,size of a standing 60gal compressor, that actually recirculated the media with a special nozzle. Half the thing was a filter. I eventually got a cabinet as I really wanted to use glass bead.

If you nave headroom above the table, I would consider gravity feed. What makes it work is an air vibrator on the feed line...and a hoist/crane to lift it.

You could also cook your own from an old compressor tank or, given the pressure you are running, a refrigerant tank.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote