User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #166
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Batopilas to Urique

Breakfast in Batopilas. Always have a good breakfast. Lunch may not be available. Cactus makes good fiber.

IMGP2424.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

What a difference a year makes. Roads have been graded, loose shale gone, ruts in switchbacks gone, babyheads gone. Took 5 spills last year on this stretch, 0 this year.

IMGP2427.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2430.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Last year I stayed on the mountain side of the road, this year I took the outside track - better view!

IMGP2433.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

and yes, I had the japanese tourist thing going with my camera around my neck, but it is efficient to grab the camera for a quick shot

IMGP2436.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

trying not to repost what the other guys are posting, but lots of good shots.

IMGP2438.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Ken had dropped his camera just up this hill. I let him ride my 'mini' bike back up to get it. Herding dogs were found with their goats on occassion. No people around, just a well trained dog and his herd.

IMGP2441.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here is a series of shots for ken. He made this corner and was whooping and hollering how he just 'bunny hopped' his bike around this switchback. Would have been better on video, but you get the idea.

IMGP2446.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
IMGP2441.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2447.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2448.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Urique, one week after the Ultra Marathon. Think they were still asking gringo prices on the hotel room.

IMGP2451.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

My beer for this trip. Had a beer last year, one in Baja, and now one here. I only drink my beer when I am on a Burt trip. And when you only have one beer every few months they really TASTE GOOD!

IMGP2458.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2461.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Better hotel prices here, clean and well kept (we looked in the rooms)

IMGP2473.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Dinner - fish, beans, cactus and rice

IMGP2474.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Tomorrow we head out for Chinipas. The hill of dust awaits my return. I shall conquer thee.

Elevation plot for today, note the rather 'steep' section coming out of Balopitas!

bato to urique elevation by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #167
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,884
Coo Coo Catchoo.....when you're my size and you pull off a maneuver like that corner, it's a big deal..........

There were several more water crossings and a few miles to get in to town.

As mentioned, Urique has broader exposure to the developed world. When we went looking for internet however, it wasn't available to us.....

We were greeted by a Senior Heffe who knew Burt, we stayed in his newly (expensive) constructed hotel. We were also introduced to the town manager. She was US college educated with great language skills. She was also quite comely but under the circumstances, no photos were taken by me....did anyone get her pic?

As we wandered through the town, looking, pointing and photographing the peaks, an old lady came out to watch us. She did not have English and for the life of her, could not figure out what we found so interesting up in the sky.

Just in case the KTM needed a transplant.

Less expensive alternative....but avoid the race season, they get overwhelmed.

Curbside curs.....

The old hotel where we sat on the deck.

Could it be..........Camarones.................it's fish........

The town was mostly still sleeping the next morning when we grabbed a convenience store b'fast and some gasolina. Back up into the mountains we headed.

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:06 AM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #168
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Nothing like an early morning ride to the top. Today is Ascent 16.300 ft and Descent 16.500 ft over a 100 miles or so. Beautiful sunrise.....

Thanks for blasting this road....

And thanks to Chabon for the Coffee stop in a scenic location.

Did somebody mention that Urique's mainstreet doubles as a landing strip?

Coffee break is over, get back to work you slackers........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #169
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

New bridge

There was a new bridge being built over the river in Urique. Must have been started after we were here last year. About half done already. The construction meant some detours and four water crossings instead of 1.

You can see the new abuttment on the right of this photo. This will open up the area to more traffic and year round river crossing.

Ken had been thinking about his first big water crossing for a while. I think he was a little concerned. Before we knew it he just took off across the river, plunged right in so to speak. Didn't walk it or change shoes, just gunned it. No photos.

chabon screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 12:45 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #170
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Gotta tell you guys a hilirarous story the last time I was in Urique-------when there was just barrel gas.

We were getting filled up with barrel gas and these 2 young fellers had slings shots-----and I was amazed at how good they were----I'd point at an old can old something-----and BAM----these guys would nail it every time---their skill was amazing. This went on and on and we had a really fun time.

So as we started our bikes and rode away-------I thought "Uh-Oh"----------sure enough they pelted us bigtime as we rode away and all I could do was laugh-------it was so funny--------should have seen that coming.
Kids will be kids--no matter where your are.

My buddy I was riding with on that trip years ago up and died on me a little later-------I'm still pissed at him for that.

BigDog

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #171
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

That's funny BigDog.....you could have expected similar behaviour from my pals and I growing up in Wyoming in the early '60's. I think I still hold the record for gopher kills in one day........

The road to Chinipas continued after our coffee break.

Late morning, I was startled to drop into a nice township that was the site of another group discombobulation.

I was in the lead and stopped to go into town for a late b'fast, Chabon was needing fuel. Burt gave us the Mi Vale Madre and he and Gregg kept going. Mike got caught in the middle and stayed roadside where we had split up. In retrospect, Chabon and I should have retrieved him. This was a tourist town with a clean, scenic mission as well as a cheap decent restaurant just across the street. Apologies again, Miguel. You are the steadiest rider I've ridden with. Best line from him: Is this a group of 5 riders, or is this 5 riders just out riding for themselves.........

Fortunately, Burt and Gregg stopped another town over to wait. Apparently, they were approached by one of the CP who told them the other 3 riders would join them in 20 minutes or so.......ergo, I continue to view these folks as benevolent in their intent and actions.....

Edit for content: We're past the halfway point and dropping out of the backcountry into more civilized climates. Google can now reasonably plot the roads we took

http://goo.gl/maps/uPQUm

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 01:43 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #172
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Urique to Chinipas

I try not to repeat artists, but I just like these guys too much..(they used to be in a heavy metal band).

The climb out of Urique. Again, the road had been improved, but still challenging.

IMGP2477.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Fancy rest area, picnic spot with BBQ's at the top. If you build it, they will come! Usually you put in the paved road first.

IMGP2481.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The building looks like its photoshopped on here, but it is really there!

IMGP2482.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mexico is not all desert. Hit many different climates and vegetation

IMGP2484.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Ken and I stop for coffee. Must be a tourist spot, they have real coffee. Sorry you got stuck waiting Mike.

IMGP2494.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Looking up, inside the mission

IMGP2498.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2500.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Some pretty fast graded roads here.

IMGP2503.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Big mine, they just cut the top off the mountain!

IMGP2508.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The hotel in Chinipas. No signs, its on a sidestreet....

IMGP2514.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Some kid was chasing us around on his 125cc bike. Thought he was a hotshot and almost crashed into Burt. Ken lashed out at him (verbally) and he disappeared for a while.
Chihuahua dog herding cattle with a cowboy right through town as we were eating dinner. He got distracted by another dog and went out of herding mode for a moment.

IMGP2515.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mikes red shirt is almost like a ghillie suit in here. Can you spot Mike?

IMGP2517.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Not sure what's wrong with his eyes? Long day maybe.

Looks pretty disgusting down below Burt. It's not what you think it is.

IMGP2519.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

It's only shrimp juice.

IMGP2520.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

some scenes from around town

IMGP2522.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2523.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

There is a horse track in this town also. If you are here on race day it might be some fun.

Here is the Elevation Track. Our moving time was almost six hours to go 100 miles, about 17 mph average. We're getting faster with the better road today. Pretty steep climb out of Urique.

urique to chinipas by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Tomorrow we head to Alamos which takes us out of the canyon area. But the trips not over....

chabon screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:15 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #173
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,531
Waiting for gas, th gas guy never did show up, thankfully I have a 5.3 tank, and even grinding in 1st gear I'll make it to the next gas, Thats the road out of UriqueMore road shots, coffee at the top but typical of the drop offs with 1 wrong turn
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #174
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Hotel in Chinipas, nothing fancy, but you don't want to run out of Pesos, they offered my 10 to 1 for my dollars, no thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #175
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Ready to roll in the morning, on to Alamos
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #176
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Road pics to Alamos, every time you think you've climbed out of the canyon, you're wrong again, another mountain or 2 to climb
Quote:
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #177
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Really nice report !
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #178
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
THANKS.... For making me remember where I am BUT!!! Spring has sprung and am heading out in the morning .

That said I just want to say I really enjoyed your RR and those danged Mountain shots and the Pueblos, Churches... etc Maybe later this fall or winter. I really need to get back.

While viewing the pictures of the terrain this music popped into my head couldn't shake it. OH and Thanks for turning me on to "Rodrigo Y Graberia" I now have their CD to load into my Ipod. Some great riding music.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #179
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
THANKS.... For making me remember where I am BUT!!! Spring has sprung and am heading out in the morning .

That said I just want to say I really enjoyed your RR and those danged Mountain shots and the Pueblos, Churches... etc Maybe later this fall or winter. I really need to get back.

While viewing the pictures of the terrain this music popped into my head couldn't shake it. OH and Thanks for turning me on to "Rodrigo Y Graberia" I now have their CD to load into my Ipod. Some great riding music.
Good to get out, the season is approaching for all you 'northies'.

Some music is just suited for riding. Good to help pass the miles or get through the twisties. I turned it off once we were in the canyon. Needed full concentration. I use a Sena SMH-10 for music, intercom and phone(rarely). Good device. Changes your riding style when using the intercom. Nice to discuss intersection and route changes or point things out to your riding buddy without stopping all the time.

Enjoyed reading you and Radiomans travels. Hopefully we meet up sometime.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #180
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

These guys have gotten to Chinipas already....and Gregg has started to Alamos, so I better catch up.......

Still dropping out of the canyon country with the roads opening up and some traffic. We quite literally rode through the mine operations without anyone stopping us or going through any gates.

We have the second largest open pit copper mine here in the Salt Lake valley but if these guys have the gold that Burt alluded to, they will be digging it out for a long time....

We stopped to pick up Tecate, the woman recognized Burt, makes you wonder about all those blue-eyed Mexicans.......and we got a dancing horse treat that Mike got on video....wonderful....

The kid who convoyed up with us in Chinipas on his 125cc moto kinda tested my patience. He marginally clipped Burt and I kicked into dad mode, told him to vamanos and leave us alone. He was trying to impress his friends but I wasn't in the mood. He did return later to offer Gregg the 10:1 peso exchange, fortunately not needed.

Chinipas was a bit rougher around the edges, the first hotel was heavily smoked in and we moved on. This seemed a working town at several levels and the herd on the street coincided with dinner. I asked about dinner to a neighbor, it was just down the street, his sister did the cooking and he was a quasi-waiter, making sure the Tecate's were available. We shoved our bikes into a tiny courtyard, in front of another tenants door and he never complained. I was a bit concerned that the kid and his friends might like our bikes a little too much but nothing ever came of it.

......back in the land of Camarones, garlic and butter.....

I think Burt got a custom meal from one of the TV shows. It was unusual and made a bit of a mess but I think he said it was a wonderful dish.....

Train in the square....

Reassemble in the morning....goal is Alamos....

Another new bridge to somewhere that won't need a river crossing....

Read the signs (but stay away from that second town).

Good to go.....up and over some more........

Over 70 miles, Ascent = 10.600 ft and Descent = 10.400 ft. Just another day....

There doobie places to fall off here....but after clearing the water crossings, I'm feeling.................goood.............

Room to open up the bike is appearing....

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:59 PM