Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #196
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
El Tanque, with some locals, and Ken cracking up, I've got something on my damn lens
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #197
Tequiladezert
Cabeza de mapa

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I'm no expert and weather patterns can change, but I've been there twice in March and weather was excellent. In fact, much later in the year and it is probably too hot. Fall might be rainy and some of those roads would be difficult to terrifying if muddy and wet
Cool, thanks for the advise, march 2014!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #198
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
El Tanque, with some locals, and Ken cracking up, I've got something on my damn lens

Fingerprint.......but you'll get used to that lens position......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #199
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
The day I will meet the hill of dust again.......

Chinipas didn't seem quite as affluent as it did last year. SUV's weren't as new and shiney. There was a big raid by the Military and Fed's a couple weeks after we passed through last year. They timed the raid with a big horse race that a lot of the kingpins were apparently attending. Maybe that changed things, maybe not. Improvements and construction were occuring at the landing strip as we passed by this morning looking for the 'new' bridge.

It took a couple or three tries to find the bridge but we did eventually. No signs, trails going in different directions and hard to stay on the main track. You will find it maybe a 1/2 mile up from the landing strip. I had studied google satellite photos before the trip just to pinpoint the bridge and network of trails that would point us torwards Alamos and still had a little difficulty. I think the locals just drive across the river and don't mess with the nice new concrete bridge.

Dining at the convience store before heading out to find the bridge

IMGP2525.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

There is the bridge. You have to get on a road a little above the river, do not follow the river bottom. The place where you catch this road is back near the landing strip.

IMGP2526.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

This road is all regraded since last year also. Still some chunky stuff, but the main differnce today is the polvo (dust/silt). Only a few inches thick but it covers some ruts and other obstacles. Momentum is your friend, don't fight it. Mike and I had to sit for about 5 minutes after a truck went past us going the other direction. Is was like zero visibilty fog and just hung in the air. It looked like a wave of water being pushed by the front wheels as he went by us.

IMGP2529.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

No good pictures of the polvo zone

IMGP2530.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

It was a pretty good climb up again. No coffee this morning in town so we stopped at the top and took a break. And Mike demonstrated how to roll big rocks down the mountain.

IMGP2531.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We passed the little hill that beat me last year and it was almost unrecognizable. The grade had been flattened and the polvo was gone. I could not appease myself and conquer the little bastard. The dynamite did what I couldn't. Again, no photo as I had passed the spot before thinking to stop.

IMGP2533.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Looks like a set from an old western movie, but this is the real thing

IMGP2535.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

These guys have strict standards and Kens dancing audition did not win him a spot on the dance crew. It was at this stop something looked different on my bike. Oh ya, my Rotopax isn't there. Funny joke guys, now give it back! Oh, you don't have it? I guess some Mexican is going to have a Rotopax full of gas with a couple RocStraps attached to it. Hope he can figure out how to use the CARB/EPA/Child Proof spout better than I could.

IMGP2539.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Last year we blasted through Alamos without slowing down. It looked like a cool tourist town with some things to see. This year we will spend the night here.

IMGP2540.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mike finds a cheap hotel on the central square that seems to be good so we all get our bikes up the steps (not easy for most of us, Mike just rode right up). We looked in the room (yuck) and found out there was a shared bathroom (yuck yuck) and Ken Gregg and myself decided to look elsewhere. I think Mike's room had a bath, but not all the rooms. Its the blue building and I think it was $350 pesos, about $15 USD each.

IMGP2542.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Ken found this women at an art store and she offered us a room for I think $550 pesos, about $24 each. The $9 premium was worth it! 300 year old hacienda that encompassed 1/2 a city block. We had a portion of that which included a small pool, courtyard, roof top terrace overlooking the mission and city, kitchen and library, 2 bathrooms (bigger than my master bedroom at home), computer room with 2 computer but no internet working, fireplaces in all the rooms, clean, nice linens and beds. Can't say enough about this place. Turns out the owners are out of town and I think this lady took it upon herself to rent the rooms. The key she gave us for the padlock on our door turned out to be the wrong key and all our gear was locked inside. Mike and Ken got the lock open while we waited for her to get the handyman. I think the handyman might have busted her for doing this. He looked a little shocked to see Moto's parked in the fancy surroundings!

IMGP2544.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2545.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2546.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2548.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2550.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2554.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2556.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2559.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2560.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2567.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The arcade out front (no signs for hotel)

IMGP2569.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hanging out at the lower square watching the locals and the locals watching us

IMGP2571.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2572.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2574.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Another view from our hotel

IMGP2579.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Part of the kitchen and the sitting room

IMGP2583.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Partial view of bathroom with hand blown glass windows

IMGP2586.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2588.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The International Film Festival. Gregg Ken and myself would come back later and catch a short film and a feature, pretty dark movies, I liked it, I think Ken said something to the effect of 'a total waste of time'..hehehe. The short was called 'El Llanto del Charal' and the feature was 'Mas Amaneceres'. All free, just walk in and sit down. The film festival in Santa Barbara costs a little more!

IMGP2590.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2589.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I guess the key has the name of the hotel on it....nice patina to the door.

IMGP2595.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I think Mike and Burt had gone to bed by now??? Music and a band started playing in the square, guys on stilts dancing around, things were just picking up about the time we finally went to bed. All this happening right outside Mike and Burts hotel and they heard nothing

Link to Video, Can't seem to embed Flickr video http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddmcginnis/8577165958/

Alamos was the first town we saw other north american tourists, besides the seven guys on bikes, since we left El Fuerte.

One more elevation plot. 70 miles with an average moving speed of 17mph, 4 hours of moving time.

chinipas to alamos by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Guaymas tomorrow....
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:13 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #200
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
El Tanque..Happiest place on Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post

Something in the air that makes people smile there...

Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #201
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Something in the air that makes people smile there...

haha, and its not the smell of sardines!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #202
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, here is a google earth plot of our track leaving Chinipas. Maybe it will help someone find the bridge and the track to get in route to Alamos.

chinipas airport and bridge by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #203
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Film Festival In Alamos

Here is a trailer for the short movie

Trailer El llanto del Charal from Hola Films on Vimeo.

and one for the feature we saw....

Más amaneceres trailer from La Tuerca Films on Vimeo.

I thought Ken might like to be reminded of these since he enjoyed them so much........ (I still liked them)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #204
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I thought Ken might like to be reminded of these since he enjoyed them so much........ (I still liked them)

No, I did not, not like them.....nor did I particularly like them to the degree that would engender not, not liking them......

And if you can dis-interpret that statement, you'll recognize that I'm just a bit taken aback by a film based on trying to get into a 12 yo's pants as the main theme pitting good vs evil......

It is definitely a different presentation of what's happening in your locale.........

(I am appreciative of the exposure to the event and I'm not the Judge)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #205
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
No, I did not, not like them.....nor did I particularly like them to the degree that would engender not, not liking them......

And if you can dis-interpret that statement, you'll recognize that I'm just a bit taken aback by a film based on trying to get into a 12 yo's pants as the main theme pitting good vs evil......

It is definitely a different presentation of what's happening in your locale.........

(I am appreciative of the exposure to the event and I'm not the Judge)
It's not that I do not understand the negative conjecture and no I wouldn't. But you know what they say "A night for a life...." or not, como no?
(In case your wondering, you had to be there, okay? No?)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #206
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Entrence to our compound at Casa De Artiste
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #207
805gregg
Just Stroming along