Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
The cutting of slots on the heads of the bolts would have put notches in the ignition mount metal too though. I figured drilling would keep me from damaging the ignition mount. I guess not. It seems either way, drilling or notching, I would have damaged it a bit.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
The cutting of slots on the heads of the bolts would have put notches in the ignition mount metal too though. I figured drilling would keep me from damaging the ignition mount. I guess not. It seems either way, drilling or notching, I would have damaged it a bit.
I used a dremel and cut the slots as well. Super easy. Used the big honking 12" Craftsman screwdriver and they came right out. Don't recall if I cut slots in the ignition mount, but I don't recall any adverse effects, so must not have been a big deal.
midfat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
So I just installed the Scotts. Went fairly well. Took 2.5 hours. I ran into a slightly annoying snag. The ignition cable goes down on the right side of the head tube and tucks in behind a plastic cover in the frame. I looked at it and went WTF? How an I supposed to get the off? I had to take off the right side panel and loosen the right fuel tank in order to get a torx bit on the screw holding the plastic frame cover on. Once this cover was off, the ignition plugs were sitting right behind it. Below is a pic from the parts fiche showing the frame cover and where it installs. I called Scotts. They didn't know about the plastic frame cover up by the steering head. It doesn't mention this frame cover in the Scotts manual at all either:

Other than that it went pretty well. I drilled out the security bolts for the ignition, and went a bit too far. Nothing that makes the ignition unusable or unmountable. So no biggy. I just took a little bit of the metal from the ignition mount off too! I also scratched the frame a bit wile working on the bike too. Bummer. Either way, it came out good. Looks good. The factory setting on the stabilizer is WAY too stiff though. I'll have to get it out on the road and make some adjustments. Good stuff overall.

Now that you mention it, I do remember having to remove that cover and it being a bitch to get it back on. Sorry I didn't say something about it. You did a good job!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 312
Nice job. I just installed mine a few weeks ago as well. Stock base damping setting was WAY too stiff for me. I pretty much backed that setting 3/4 of the way counterclockwise, don't like to feel resistance while making normal turns. Put the bike up on the center stand and weight down the back to get the front tire off the ground. Then you can adjust all three damping settings and be able to yank the bars left/right slowly or quickly to see how the adjustments effect the damping. For me, the high speed damping was what was most important. If I turn the bars normally, there is little to no resistance. If I yank them very quickly as in hitting a big rock or experiencing a slapper, the high-speed damping definitely kicks in.

You definitely want to adjust damping settings to your own preference, the out of box settings are pretty stiff. We'll see if it makes any difference in the deep sand, ruts, baby heads and hopefully it'll stop a tankslapper dead in its tracks. Plus it looks cool and should have come with the bike.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Now that you mention it, I do remember having to remove that cover and it being a bitch to get it back on. Sorry I didn't say something about it. You did a good job!
Thanks, man! I know, right? it was kinda a bitch getting that cover on and off.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
Nice job. I just installed mine a few weeks ago as well. Stock base damping setting was WAY too stiff for me. I pretty much backed that setting 3/4 of the way counterclockwise, don't like to feel resistance while making normal turns. Put the bike up on the center stand and weight down the back to get the front tire off the ground. Then you can adjust all three damping settings and be able to yank the bars left/right slowly or quickly to see how the adjustments effect the damping. For me, the high speed damping was what was most important. If I turn the bars normally, there is little to no resistance. If I yank them very quickly as in hitting a big rock or experiencing a slapper, the high-speed damping definitely kicks in.

You definitely want to adjust damping settings to your own preference, the out of box settings are pretty stiff. We'll see if it makes any difference in the deep sand, ruts, baby heads and hopefully it'll stop a tankslapper dead in its tracks. Plus it looks cool and should have come with the bike.
Thanks, and thanks for the advice. That's a good idea lifting the front wheel and testing/adjusting the settings. I'll do that!