Oddometer: 1,580
Thanks for the update.

Interested for sure.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #257
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Round the world travels, countless hours of toil, a painstaking process all guided by passion... I don't care where it came from! I know this is a great product and I will gladly strap it to my BMW (sure some part on it came from China too).
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #258
freud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Many bad things come from china.

Many good ones too.

I don't care
freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #259
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
I have a limited quantity of tanks and will start shipping on Friday. Shipping to inmates that PM'd me first then the rest will be up for grabs.

Cheers.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:54 AM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #260
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I have a limited quantity of tanks and will start shipping on Friday. Shipping to inmates that PM'd me first then the rest will be up for grabs.

Cheers.
I love you :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #261
Karlfitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:

Cheers.
This is a great idea you had.
Then you did all the lag work.
I hope it all becomes easier and you are able to make this profitable for yourself.

I say that because I am considering an F800, and I would want one of your tanks on it too.

Congratulations on your company start up.
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #262
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlfitt View Post
This is a great idea you had.
Then you did all the lag work.
I hope it all becomes easier and you are able to make this profitable for yourself.

I say that because I am considering an F800, and I would want one of your tanks on it too.

Congratulations on your company start up.
Thanks s It's been a battle at times but I'm hoping there is some smooth sailing ahead

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #263
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,838
paypal sent
IBA #42016

my ride reports

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #264
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

The website is up and running. Currently accepting PayPal, credit cards later this week.
We have stock ready to ship!

www.camel-adv.com

Camel ADV screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 12:00 AM
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #265
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,040
Thumb The Camel Tank - Unbiased Review

I'm currently on tour but managed to get the first production Camel Tank install. See HERE.

Although I didn't install it myself, I watched and it was pretty low tech. Remove pannier brackets, add tank brackets, drill two holes in the trim panel with provided template, splice into the vent lines and reinstall pannier brackets with tank. Simplified, but that's close enough. The detailed instructions are included as well as on the website when that gets sorted.

Someone can do an install pictorial here if they like.

My impressions:

In a word - Awesome.

Light and discreet, it won't be noticed when not needed.
Self priming and works simply, no pump or wiring. KISS!
Having my bike set up perfect for me, I can now ride for hours without the worry of finding a gas station. More miles per day.
With properly balanced cases, I hit the twisties with both tanks full no prob. It's a loaded GS, not a street bike so it handles fine for what it is.
Installed in mostly useless space down low, not like a Rotopax etc.

Things to Consider:

With both tanks and panniers full, it was a bear to get on the centre stand. Obviously.
Load your left case heavier (my tools and spares in there) to keep things balanced as much as possible.
Low speed manoeuvering with full tanks and the F's tall first gear requires finesse. I nearly fell over on a new van.

If I had to nit pick:

I realize this is a first round product with people clamoring to get their hands on it asap and it was a massive achievement to get this far with many pitfalls and learning requirements. My hat's off to you Cory.

With that said, I noticed that with my OEM Aluminum topcase it's sometimes difficult to get the nozzle in the filler. The filler is positioned toward the inside so that an airspace is created while on the side stand to allow for a 5% expansion. Not really a concern but YMMV with different topcases.

I fear I'll lose the cap. Dropped it twice as it slid off my panniers. When I get home I will try to drill and tap the inside of the cap to attach a bathtub chain and a T wire to put inside the tank. Just like a spring loaded ceiling hook thingy, something like that, we'll see.

Hopefully the price will come down with sales volume but every new quality product has to cover initial R&D and start up costs. For an OEM like setup with a professional feel, I am NOT complaining. Keep the milk crates and the lawnmower gas can for the KLR. Even if it doesn't it's still a deal and one big load off my mind!

You'll have to get your own, mine's not going anywhere. Errr, it's actually going EVERYWHERE.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 10:40 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #266
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Thanks for Review/Preview Reaver.
I will have a Camel tank on my F800, just as soon as I can remit payment to Cory.
An excellent idea with the filler cap retention. Let us know how that works out.
edit:
CamelTank website is up and running. I have my order in.
SIX gallon fuel capacity will make the F800gs a PERFECT road bike

Full Power screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 05:58 PM Reason: ..
Full Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #267
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

In a word - Awesome.

Things to Consider:

With both tanks and panniers full, it was a bear to get on the centre stand. Obviously.
Load your left case heavier (my tools and spares in there) to keep things balanced as much as possible.
Low speed manoeuvering with full tanks and the F's tall first gear requires finesse. I nearly fell over on a new van.

If I had to nit pick:

I noticed that with my OEM Aluminum topcase it's sometimes difficult to get the nozzle in the filler. The filler is positioned toward the inside so that an airspace is created while on the side stand to allow for a 5% expansion. Not really a concern but YMMV with different topcases.

I fear I'll lose the cap....

Thanks for the review Darryl, glad it's working well for you

The stock stainless muffer is 9.88lbs. The empty tank weights less than the pipe on the opposite side (even if it's an aftermarket unit). 7L of fuel at 1.62lb/L is just over 11lbs so the full tank isn't anymore unbalanced than a bike with a stock muffler and no tank. Being that the pipe and the tank are only 6" from the centerline of the bike, the imbalance will have little, if any, affect on handling

Since this tank was intended for adventurers, I made the cap with one of the most commonly available caps specs I could think of...a Honda Civic oil filler cap. In a pinch, replacement caps are readily available everywhere. Of course due to the many brands available, I can't say that their o-ring will be gasoline resistant like ours so use at your own risk!

Cory

Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #268
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Thanks for the review Darryl, glad it's working well for you

Since this tank was intended for adventurers, I made the cap with one of the most commonly available caps specs I could think of...a Honda Civic oil filler cap. In a pinch, replacement caps are readily available everywhere. Of course due to the many brands available, I can't say that their o-ring will be gasoline resistant like ours so use at your own risk!

Cory
That's good to know. I saw today that the cap is bored out on the inside for lightening so a hole drilled and tapped would penetrate the top, depending on the wall thickness. I'll be fine as long as I don't forget to screw it back on before I leave.

People have always looked at me funny when I fuel cause the hose goes in the side instead of the "Tank". Now I fuel up like an old car in the back too. One attendant came over to figure out where the fuel was going today.

Again, no complaints but as an Aircraft Mechanic, I'm programmed to be critical.

Yes, you've tried to think of everything. THANKS!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #269
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Again, no complaints but as an Aircraft Mechanic, I'm programmed to be critical.

Yes, you've tried to think of everything. THANKS!
I appreciate the feedback

Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #270
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
I've had the good fortune to be running a Camel tank for a couple months now. Mine is one of the pre-production testers Cory put into the field for evaluation and feedback. I can't say as I notice any change in the handling or balance of the bike with the tank on and filled. I certainly notice the improved range.

I too thought about a tether for the cap, but really haven't had an issue with it being loose. I've always filled up the tank with the bike on the center stand, and the cap sits nicely on top of the tank next to the filler opening. I do find you need to pay attention when filling as you will spill fuel if you don't go slow for the last liter or so. As for getting the bike up on the stand, it is a bit of a bear when loaded, but no worse with the tank in place really. I had a large pelican case top box on, and had no trouble with access for filling, but I did have to get to it directly from the rear of the bike. You just need to remember that when positioning yourself at the pumps to make sure the nozzle will reach.

I've run quite few tank fulls through to date and have had no issues whatsoever with the operation of the tank. It draws down first until empty keeping the main tank at full level. If you happen to open the main cap, the fuel does not siphon across and spill out either as the suction is broken, and the Camel tank is at the same height so it won't gravity feed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote