ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #271
McCardigan
happy Budda
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Back on the road again
Oddometer: 2,928
G/day Cory

No wonder you don't have any hair left to pull out

Now, I would like it camouflaged so that it doesn't get a bullet hole in it from an over keen shooter, (Man, that was one hellva moving animal)

And I would like a cup holder so my pillion can put her café Latte in!!

Sheesh!!

Chris with tongue firmly in check

Keep up the good work
__________________
Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old (Neil Young)
Still homeless, armless and legless,

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #272
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
For all that have already purchased a tank there are some minor changes to the instructions. Check out our site for the current version @ Camel Tank Instructions

Cory
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #273
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Homer, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,436
Camel Population: Plus one

I have (one) CAMEL auxiliary fuel tank in hand. installation details to follow.
Thanks Cory.
.
edit-
45 minute installation, instructions very clear, no issues.
60 mile test ride, fuel IS drawn from Camel tank, first, as it should.
Minimum projected range at HIGH speed 300 miles.
Maximum "ECONOMY-Range" likely 375 to 400 miles, with speeds held to 50 MPH
__________________
Warm enough to RAIN is warm enough to RIDE.

Full Power screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 11:25 PM
Full Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #274
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!
 
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Central Indiana
Oddometer: 164
Installed onto my 2012.

The install is easy and straight forward. The only issue I had was with the rear main bracket that you have to cut the perforated slits to install. My 2012 did not have the threaded inserts in the cross member. There were holes, but not inserts. It is an easy enough fix though. Just get two 5/16"x1.75" or 2" long bolts, four washers, and two 5/16" nylock nuts.
Insert the washers onto the bolts, and insert the bolts into the cross member from the front of the cross member towards the rear through the camel tank cross member bracket. Install another washer on each bolt, and then the nylock nuts. Torque each to the 18lbs ft. Facing the bolts towards the rear gets the excess threads out of the way and hides them under the plastic cover.

Everything else was a breeze. The tank is Extremely solid when mounted. I have the Touratech Zega Pro Panniers.
I did opt to use Loctite blue on the two forward mounting bracket bolts to the subframe, and a small drop on the main rear 15/16" nut that holds the washer to the bushing to prevent it from ever vibrating loose.

It seems like a high quality product.
__________________
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #275
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
The only issue I had was with the rear main bracket that you have to cut the perforated slits to install. My 2012 did not have the threaded inserts in the cross member. There were holes, but not inserts.
Every bike should have those as that's the mounting location for the factory BMW pannier system

I'm glad the rest of the install went well
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 06:22 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #276
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
The install is easy and straight forward. The only issue I had was with the rear main bracket that you have to cut the perforated slits to install. My 2012 did not have the threaded inserts in the cross member. There were holes, but not inserts. It is an easy enough fix though. Just get two 5/16"x1.75" or 2" long bolts, four washers, and two 5/16" nylock nuts.
Insert the washers onto the bolts, and insert the bolts into the cross member from the front of the cross member towards the rear through the camel tank cross member bracket. Install another washer on each bolt, and then the nylock nuts. Torque each to the 18lbs ft. Facing the bolts towards the rear gets the excess threads out of the way and hides them under the plastic cover.

Everything else was a breeze. The tank is Extremely solid when mounted. I have the Touratech Zega Pro Panniers.
I did opt to use Loctite blue on the two forward mounting bracket bolts to the subframe, and a small drop on the main rear 15/16" nut that holds the washer to the bushing to prevent it from ever vibrating loose.

It seems like a high quality product.

Hey Matt, can you post a pic of your subframe and the way you got around the missing factory inserts? It would be good to see.

Cory
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #277
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!
 
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Central Indiana
Oddometer: 164
Install

Cory,
Let me know if you didnt get all five emails with the pics and instructions for my specific install and touratech zega pros.
Matt
__________________
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #278
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Cory,
Let me know if you didnt get all five emails with the pics and instructions for my specific install and touratech zega pros.
Matt
I did get them all. Thanks for sending them
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #279
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland (I hate DC traffic)
Oddometer: 803
This product is awesome, it truly is, the pictures for one do not do it justice! One thing I know is that a great photographer can make something that isn't beautiful look beautiful, but having this product in hand truly trumps any photos. Every component is highly refined, the billet gas cap is wonderful. As someone who has made a few things (novice at best) I know pride in one's work when I see it. Heck the directions are laser printed on nice paper! Packaging was amazing, and well protected which is truly needed for international shipping. I cannot comment on the items functionality but I have no doubt that it will perform wonderfully given the R&D and beta testing that occurred. This is truly a top notch product!

As soon as I install it I will keep people informed, directions are straight forward and I envision less than hour for complete install.

If you have a 650/700/800 GS and ride it in the backwoods or on an adventure and don't want the big Touratech tank this is great! I have a Rotopax but that is emergency fuel, it sucks having to pull over for that extra fuel. I have increased my mileage capability dramatically with a simple bolt on item that is the epitome of professionally crafted.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #280
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
This product is awesome, it truly is, the pictures for one do not do it justice! One thing I know is that a great photographer can make something that isn't beautiful look beautiful, but having this product in hand truly trumps any photos. Every component is highly refined, the billet gas cap is wonderful. As someone who has made a few things (novice at best) I know pride in one's work when I see it. Heck the directions are laser printed on nice paper! Packaging was amazing, and well protected which is truly needed for international shipping. I cannot comment on the items functionality but I have no doubt that it will perform wonderfully given the R&D and beta testing that occurred. This is truly a top notch product!

As soon as I install it I will keep people informed, directions are straight forward and I envision less than hour for complete install.

If you have a 650/700/800 GS and ride it in the backwoods or on an adventure and don't want the big Touratech tank this is great! I have a Rotopax but that is emergency fuel, it sucks having to pull over for that extra fuel. I have increased my mileage capability dramatically with a simple bolt on item that is the epitome of professionally crafted.
I couldn't be happier with the feedback so far
The project took longer than anticipated so hopefully it was worth the wait. I appreciate all the positive comments but constructive criticism is welcome too. The project is very much a living thing and suggestions on how to improve it will help out immensely with future versions
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #281
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!
 
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Central Indiana
Oddometer: 164
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I couldn't be happier with the feedback so far
The project took longer than anticipated so hopefully it was worth the wait. I appreciate all the positive comments but constructive criticism is welcome too. The project is very much a living thing and suggestions on how to improve it will help out immensely with future versions
Cory,
The only issue I have found is the location of the fill cap. With the Zega Pro top case on, I am only able to insert the gas station fill nozzle a certain way/angle and with that the tip of the nozzle barely clears the bottom of the filler threads without spurting a bit of fuel back out with the fill nozzle on full stream. With this issue, I am unable to determine when the tank is full to start slowing the stream down. For the automatic nozzle shutoff to kick in, the nozzle has to be inserted deep enough into the tank to work. Moving the fill point forward or aft on the tank in line with the seam won't resolve the issue. It would have to be moved outboard an inch or so to get the angle right for the nozzle clearance needed. The Zega Pro top case has a rapid trap feature so I can quickly lift and offset the top case for easier access. Im not sure how other top cases that are hard mounted will be affected though. Other than that one issue the fit and finish are perfect. I am paranoid though about the cap being lost due to not being tight enough since I don't want to crank it down too tight per the instructions.
Can you advise if there is an over the counter auto part replacement fit that would work in a pinch if one of us is on a trip and looses the cap until we can get a replacement. That would suck DD to loose it in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for a great product. So far.
__________________
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #282
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Cory,
The only issue I have found is the location of the fill cap. With the Zega Pro top case on, I am only able to insert the gas station fill nozzle a certain way/angle and with that the tip of the nozzle barely clears the bottom of the filler threads without spurting a bit of fuel back out with the fill nozzle on full stream. With this issue, I am unable to determine when the tank is full to start slowing the stream down. For the automatic nozzle shutoff to kick in, the nozzle has to be inserted deep enough into the tank to work. Moving the fill point forward or aft on the tank in line with the seam won't resolve the issue. It would have to be moved outboard an inch or so to get the angle right for the nozzle clearance needed. The Zega Pro top case has a rapid trap feature so I can quickly lift and offset the top case for easier access. Im not sure how other top cases that are hard mounted will be affected though. Other than that one issue the fit and finish are perfect. I am paranoid though about the cap being lost due to not being tight enough since I don't want to crank it down too tight per the instructions.
Can you advise if there is an over the counter auto part replacement fit that would work in a pinch if one of us is on a trip and looses the cap until we can get a replacement. That would suck DD to loose it in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for a great product. So far.
Hey Matt, I knew some of the top box equipped bikes would be tighter than others. There are so many variables with panniers and racks alone that it was tough to make a tank that would work well with all systems. Top boxes add another layer of head scratching.

I can tell you that much thought and consideration was given to the filler location. It started out as far to the outside as it could be but I ran into clearance issues with one system or another and was concerned the the cap/filler would be more likely damaged in a fall when no racks or panniers were fitted. Also partially blocking the rear signal light was a concern.

Please email me a pic of your bike with top box on (preferably with a gas nozzle in hand) so I can see exactly what's what and see if there is tweaking that can be done on other versions.

Given the volume of the tank I would suggest hand filling (ie, no locking the trigger and relying on auto shut off) to avoid nozzle spray back.

As far as the gas cap, definitely tighten it enough that it won't rattle loose. The filler neck insert is pretty beefy so unless you have Pop-Eye forearms damaging the insert is unlikely.

I wanted to make sure caps were easy to locate and not only available from us so the oil filler cap from a 90s Honda Civic will work in a pinch. I can't say for sure though that the o-ring on brand xxx cap will be gas resistant so use at your risk!

I will have a look at adding a tether to the as a few others have mentioned it as well.
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #283
lakota
Geeser
 
lakota's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Annapolis MD
Oddometer: 2,973
Thanks for doing all it took to get this out on the market. I couldn't be happier with the new tank.
__________________
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #284
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,375
If you have bought a kit already and have a 2012-newer bike let me know as I have some different fasteners for the under seat bracket. BMW made a change and deleted the threaded inserts. The new fasteners are allen heads that go through the sub-frame crossmember front to back then Nylocs on the back side. Kits shipping from this point on will include these new fasteners.
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #285
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland (I hate DC traffic)
Oddometer: 803
Sweet!

I am loving this! The only bad thing is that I am now going to have to make a new rear rack because I don't need the rotopax!







runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014