User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
Pannier pics

Since there are dozens of pannier systems out there it's tough to say what will and won't fit without actually trying it. However, we can probably get good list of "maybes" and "definitely nots" if inmates can post pics of their rack systems.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
Cory, I never expected to get tank number one. I have a pretty good idea who that one is earmarked for. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
We will be just under the $500 mark.

It's gone through several revisions, in fact it started with me sitting on a milk crate, carving up a chunk of rigid styrofoam with a bread knife. It's been a fun project.

Which racks work and which ones don't... I tried it on as many systems as I could and tweaked the shape accordingly.

Fit's for sure:
-BMW aluminum Adventure cases. The notch in the side of the tank is to clear the cam lock.
-TouraTech Zega
-Touratech Zega Special (with a new rear support bar)
-Giant Loop Great Basin
-Giant Loop Siskiyou

Definitely won't fit:
-BMW Vario
-Jesses
-Any rack systems that use under seat/under tank mounts (see pic below).

Maybe:
-a ton of brands. We hope to have a comprehensive list by the time the tanks are available for sale.

-This tank drains first via siphon to the main.

-We are estimating 8-10weeks until they are ready.
Bayner, definitely won't work with metal mule frames. They use the mounting point highlighted in the photo.
servdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
bearbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
i would suggest that after this first adaptation is complete AND my Hepco-Becker version is on its way to me, a poll would be in order to see which of your racks get fitted next. ;)

BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post

It's gone through several revisions, in fact it started with me sitting on a milk crate, carving up a chunk of rigid styrofoam with a bread knife. It's been a fun project.

Which racks work and which ones don't... I tried it on as many systems as I could and tweaked the shape accordingly.

Fit's for sure:
-BMW aluminum Adventure cases. The notch in the side of the tank is to clear the cam lock.
-TouraTech Zega
-Touratech Zega Special (with a new rear support bar)
-Giant Loop Great Basin
-Giant Loop Siskiyou

Definitely won't fit:
-BMW Vario
-Jesses
-Any rack systems that use under seat/under tank mounts (see pic below).

Maybe:
-a ton of brands. We hope to have a comprehensive list by the time the tanks are available for sale.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/154297.png
bearbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Looks fantastic, Oso. I really like that it keeps the weight down low.

But having gone with Caribous and Wolfman bags hanging on SW-Motech racks, I can't justify making a switch now. If you do come up with a modified version, I'd be very interested if A) the tank still holds at least 1.5 gals. and B) the price is comparable (or even lower!)

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Sign me up! Also can you snap a pic pf the mount up directly from behind, I am interested in clearance issues for the carbon fiber mud guards I have been making. Also what is the likely hood of rupture on this bad boy (thickness of the cell/material)?
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Great idea and looks very clean. I've got the Vario's unfortunately and the fuel capacity does kind of suck...

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #23
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Sounds like a version 2 that would fit more racks would have enough interest.
I don't own an f8 yet but would be interested in am extra 1.5 gallons if it fit the racks I was using.
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Yeah, usually I get 150-160 miles before the low fuel light comes on and I'm pretty religious about filling back up as soon as the light comes on. But this last tank was 132.

Needless to say, there was some spirited riding going on. Pushing me up to 200 miles would be perfect. Thats about my max before I want to take a break from riding.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Sign me up! Also can you snap a pic pf the mount up directly from behind, I am interested in clearance issues for the carbon fiber mud guards I have been making. Also what is the likely hood of rupture on this bad boy (thickness of the cell/material)?

Rupture is not a concern we have The tank is roto-molded (one piece, no seams) XLDPE.
I don't have a bunch of pics from the angle you need. I'm tweaking the brackets at the moment so I can't mount the tank and get more pics for you for a few days. I'll snap some when I can though. Here are the two I do have:

Feel free to post up a pic of your hugger and I'll have a look to see if there are any obvious interference areas.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 01:11 AM
Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Though I don't have the need for one, just wanted to say you've done a fine job designing this - looks great man!

SO much better than the touratech tank.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

It occupies the two 8mm bolt points on the subframe.

photo IMAG1739.jpg

Good construction! I want one ASAP!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Bummer, we would be in for two if we could come up with a way of bodgy fitting it with our pannier mountings (Jesse and Hepco) that use the obscured front mounting bolts, but from the pics it looks like the mounting design doesn't have any avenues for "shed adjustment" or fabrication of a custom mount to make them fit.

Kudos for the attention to detail in the design - lotsa work and head scratching has obviously gone into it!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Though I don't have the need for one, just wanted to say you've done a fine job designing this - looks great man!

SO much better than the touratech tank.
I've got the TT 20L tank and I really like it. It's a great piece of kit, wish I had it when we were in Mongolia. It's not a solution for everyone though, neither is the Camel Tank. Some people will see the value in the TT unit and some don't. Our's is an option for those that don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
 photo IMAG1739.jpg

Good construction! I want one ASAP!
I don't see an issue running the hugger and tank. We have 12.5mm spacers that go between the threaded sub-frame inserts and our front bracket. If you trimmed the spacers (or stacked washers to the appropriate height) the tank bracket should mount over top the hugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
Bummer, we would be in for two if we could come up with a way of bodgy fitting it with our pannier mountings (Jesse and Hepco) that use the obscured front mounting bolts, but from the pics it looks like the mounting design doesn't have any avenues for "shed adjustment" or fabrication of a custom mount to make them fit.

Kudos for the attention to detail in the design - lotsa work and head scratching has obviously gone into it!
We can and might build one to work with the Hepco Becker/SW Motec type racks but I can tell you for certain that we won't be building a tank for the Jesse's racks. I spent hours and hours measuring and modifying one of our mockup tanks to fit and at the end of the day it was small, full of notches/groves, had complicated brackets and was fugly. I showed my Solidworks designer and he just laughed and said "Really dude?". Can it be done...yeah, will we be doing it, no.

The Jesse's cases are very popular and I'd like to have a solution but there are some big challenges involved.

Camel ADV screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 09:23 AM
Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Can we get a basic image of install/setup and what is recommended as I would like to be prepped for this and just bolt it on because I am persistently away from my garage for this year.