Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #316
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Tank is in!!!! All I gotta do is clean the mud from my snow ride and bolt her up. When I got home my new Nikon D7000 showed up, so good pics are in order
Good to hear Chet. Would definitely like to see some pics from your big road trip too

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #317
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Thumb 30 minute job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
Good to hear Chet. Would definitely like to see some pics from your big road trip too
Will do for sure. FWIW, 30 minute install. If all farkles were this easy and well thought out mechanics would go out of business and spend more time riding. Looks much better in person than it does in pics, it just balances out the back side. This is going to make the GL Siskiyou panniers an even better fit.

A note, I am kinda bummed, I had to remove the Blackdog bottle opener from the chain guard, it was a sure bet to hit the tank. I can no longer point to it and call it my only "farkle without a real purpose"
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #318
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
Will do for sure. FWIW, 30 minute install. If all farkles were this easy and well thought out mechanics would go out of business and spend more time riding. Looks much better in person than it does in pics, it just balances out the back side. This is going to make the GL Siskiyou panniers an even better fit.

A note, I am kinda bummed, I had to remove the Blackdog bottle opener from the chain guard, it was a sure bet to hit the tank. I can no longer point to it and call it my only "farkle without a real purpose"
Thats ok Chet.
If we end up getting together in AZ, I will show ya how we Danes open one bottle with another one..... He he.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #319
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
When I get feedback like this it makes me feel like all the hours of stressing about details was worth it and it keeps me chugging along with the new stuff in development that is currently driving my CRAZY!

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #320
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
When I get feedback like this it makes me feel like all the hours of stressing about details was worth it and it keeps me chugging along with the new stuff in development that is currently driving my CRAZY!
I will take this option over the TT Supertanker all day long, I've ridden the TT tank, indexing/locking in with the knees is not an option, stompgrip helps, but just isn't natural feeling. I don't remember the overall weight of the Camel Tank, but it is far less than the TT and as the saying goes, just because it is empty doesn't mean ya gotta fill it. I will take the weight down low, full or empty over a rack mounted fuel cell. Why I waited so long is beyond me...

For those with the SW Motech QD racks, all I will need to do for hard pannier use is remove the tank itself and forward bracket (10 minutes maybe?) and add the lower right front mount (2 bolts and spacers) and my bike is back to hard panniers for urban use, where fuel range isn't as much of an issue.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #321
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
I will take this option over the TT Supertanker all day long, I've ridden the TT tank, indexing/locking in with the knees is not an option, stompgrip helps, but just isn't natural feeling. I don't remember the overall weight of the Camel Tank, but it is far less than the TT and as the saying goes, just because it is empty doesn't mean ya gotta fill it. I will take the weight down low, full or empty over a rack mounted fuel cell. Why I waited so long is beyond me...

All that and you don't have to pay a fortune to match your paint!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #322
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,374
I just wanted to add the following. Note the forward tank 8mm bolt. I replaced it with another SS M8, and welded the 1/2 inch SS pipe onto the head of the bolt, and that served as a rack mount pass through, sorta like the aft one. Saved my bacon, and now I do not need to bolt it forward to the passenger foot peg.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #323
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,455
I keep looking at this, and thinking this may save me from buying a '14+ GSA. Has there been a verdict on the Wolfman Racks yet?
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #324
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I keep looking at this, and thinking this may save me from buying a '14+ GSA. Has there been a verdict on the Wolfman Racks yet?
The version 1 tank won't work with the Wolfman racks but we will have a solution for you shortly. Will work with SW Motech, Hepco Becker and a bunch of others too.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #325
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
The version 1 tank won't work with the Wolfman racks but we will have a solution for you shortly. Will work with SW Motech, Hepco Becker and a bunch of others too.
When is this model coming? I have Hepco and Becker racks.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #326
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
When is this model coming? I have Hepco and Becker racks.
Early May is expected release.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #327
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Early May is expected release.
Thank you

Don't suppose you would care to speculate on the capacity?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #328
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Thank you

Don't suppose you would care to speculate on the capacity?
7L same as the version 1 tank.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #329
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
7L same as the version 1 tank.
Sorry, I thought you had to reduce the capacity to get it to fit the rack mounts.

That's good news because it nearly gives a total capacity the same as the 800GS Adventure without being so portly.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #330
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you had to reduce the capacity to get it to fit the rack mounts.

That's good news because it nearly gives a total capacity the same as the 800GS Adventure without being so portly.
I assumed it would be less too but we managed to add volume in places we didn't have room before. It's shorter but a bit wider so everything balanced out.

It's important to note that the V2 doesn't replace the original tank, it just covers different pannier racks. The V1 will still be the tank required for bikes with Touratech, factory BMW aluminum cases or bikes with no panniers.