Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
white_bear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Talking Across Europe & Russia to Vladivostok!

Hello All-
I am planning a trip from Cologne, Germany to Vladivostok, Russia. The actual route has not been set through europe, and after the Urals, you just point the bike east until you run out of land. Departure date is around 1 June 2013.

So far, I have not decided on any particular countries to get to Russia, but I think I will avoid Belarus. Some stops along the way are fine, with a fixed date of 30 June/1 July to be in Vladivostok. The bike will be stored in Vladivostok or shipped back to Moscow.

My partner has decided to bail out so I am looking for any riding partner(s) for all or any portions of the trip. I expect motel/hotel in western Russia and more camping the farther east one goes. I have a Suzuki DR650 and will not be a speed demon. I would expect a daily 600-675Km/375-425Mi per day average to go the distance. The general route would be to follow the Trans Siber Railway.

If anyone is interested in the trip or parts of it, PM me with email address. I speak English, pretty good Spanish, and beginner Russian. After that, it is cave man talk...

I hope some are interested, I will try to post a ride report and spot tracking as well. Whatever you think, this will be an adventure for someone from USA (like me), and create memories.

Comments?? Advice?? Whatever...
wb
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Nigel Tailyour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Me too!
The leaving date for us is June 2014 and this year we are going as far as the border to Ukraine as a trial run.
I hope this thread becomes popular with great ideas and help for all travelers to Vladivostok.
I have joined Couchsurfers and already have some places to stay and a welcome party. The biker club in Vladivostok have replied to say they look forward to meeting us.

There is much information on Horizons Unlimited website.
We are shipping the bike to USA and we have a good contact now in Vlad who will help with crating and shipping. You could use Yuri Melnik at "Links" in Vladivostok, at ymelnik@links-ltd.com
Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
dubai-oz via Vald

Hi Guys
Me too
going to ride Beemer f800gs from Dubai to Oz via central Asia and Mongolia to Vald- Japan-Thailand-Cambodia (store bike here)-Vietnam(rented bike unless they change laws and allow private bikes in to country)- Cambodia-Laos-Thailand-Burma(if by that stage they allow private bikes in)-Malaysia-Indonesia-East Timor- Australia-to home town of Cairns QLD.

When am I doing this
When I have enough money to retire and leave this place and before I am 60yo..So have 9 years or less to plan and save like hell..

In 2011 Did Dubai-Iran-Turkmenistan-Uzbekistan-Tajikistan-Northern Afghanistan( got food poisoning in Afghan and had to go to hospital in Khorog Tajikistan, in hospital for a week and 2 weeks recovering in Dushanbe-then back to Dubai via the above countries.. GRET TRIP except getting F/P

Will keep a look out for this thread and have a great time boys

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
white_bear OP
Adventurer

Wink Wrong Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tailyour View Post
Me too!
The leaving date for us is June 2014 and this year we are going as far as the border to Ukraine as a trial run.
I hope this thread becomes popular with great ideas and help for all travelers to Vladivostok.
I have joined Couchsurfers and already have some places to stay and a welcome party. The biker club in Vladivostok have replied to say they look forward to meeting us.

There is much information on Horizons Unlimited website.
We are shipping the bike to USA and we have a good contact now in Vlad who will help with crating and shipping. You could use Yuri Melnik at "Links" in Vladivostok, at ymelnik@links-ltd.com
Hey, push up your date a little or ride part-way with me...

Hey, don't everybody jump on this thread at once!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,631
I would expect a daily 600-675Km/375-425Mi per day average to go the distance.

not to be a buzzkill, but that would be really hard to do in most of Russia.
I've crossed it 4 times now, and altho the roads are improving, alot of it is still really bad, and the cities suck. ring roads are almost unheard of.

400km a day is doing pretty good for the 1st 1/2, the good news is, that after Lake Baikal, the roads have gotten alot better, and theres alot less towns. (after Chita is the new road, & its really nice all the way to Khabarovsk)

It will be a fun trip for sure!

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Doogle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I am planning to do a similar trip starting from South Korea the end of May. That is if Sum Dum Chuck from North Korea doesn't start a war before then. I will start from the east. I prefer to ride the more remote areas when my bike is freshest.If I break down,I think parts will be easier to get in Europe than east of Lake Baikal.

But South Korea is looking like a big question mark this week.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
white_bear OP
Adventurer

Question Move?

How do I move this thread to Planning?

Administrator help?

wb